Strange shoulder problem

Hi, Ever since I got home from the hospital 5 weeks ago, my shoulders and upper arms have felt sore. I thought it was from hunching them from

stress. The problem seems to be getting worse and now whatever direction I lift my arms (not even high in the air) they feel like they are going to slip out of joint. I've also started with restless arm syndrome at night. My arms will jump and tingle and tickle (like I don't have a hard enough time sleeping!). I'm wondering if this is related to the aneurysm or something different. Anyone else have this or any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi Lisa

I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel really restless and can't get comfortable or my skin feels tingly. I notice it the most when I've been sitting or lying still for prolonged periods of time. No idea what it is though or whether it's linked to my SAH. I do know however, that you can become more sensitive in general following SAH so I don't think what we experience is unusual (though it is a little annoying!).

All the best

Annie

I get numbness in arm...I asked the surgeon when I had my follow up MRI "what causes numb arm" he shrugged lol so guess it

cannot be that bad I hope !

But I cannot lay on tummy anymore ... mind you the size could be why lol.....

Be Well All

WinB143 xx

Hi Lisa,

Go and see your GP, as I doubt that it's anything to do with the SAH itself. I'm experiencing a frozen shoulder at the minute, which has worsened over the last few weeks. I thought that I was just sleeping a bit funny on it, as the pain was in the top of my arm muscle and was waking me at night. However it got worse and worse and just putting my coat on, felt as though my arm was about to dislocate from my shoulder. I'm now taking anti inflammatory tabs for it.

Muscle twitching can be linked to other things that can be easily fixed. I've had restless leg syndrome (muscle twitches) post SAH and was given blood tests and was found to be deficient in certain vitamins and calcium. I'm now on prescribed supplements and they've certainly helped. xx

When I was in the hospital I developed a LOT of ticks and jumps. I'd feel like I was dancing in bed at times, and a friend told me I did it in my sleep too (when I fell asleep mid sentence while she visited with me). They treated me with antispasmodics and anti-siezure medications.

The pons (those of us with perimesencephalic SAH) is where all of our descending motor neurons and postural neurons (like neck, back) come from. They were traumatized! I would wonder if people didn't have strange sensations or pains. I had restless legs in the hospital and it took me 3 days before anyone would actually believe it! I was eventually given Seroquel for it and it really helped (and it helps with going to sleep too if you have that problem). I also continue to have neck pain off and on and sometimes I have that weird feeling in my legs that they are floating or something.

I'm not sure what will be the new normal as it keeps changing and progressing. It's frustrating when it happens though because it can be triggered by just doing to much thinking the day before or something that seems unrelated. Gone are the days that there was a clear cause for weird sensations.

~Kris

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been told I have unstable shoulders from disuse. I guess from not using my arms much during the 2 weeks in the hospital and for several weeks at home, the muscles that stabilize my shoulders have begun to weaken. I just have to do some exercises to help

strengthen them again. Glad it's an easy fix!

Hi Lisa,

That's good news! :-D I spent a couple of weeks in hospital too and was shocked at how much muscle wasting had occurred, just by lying in bed! I was also horrified at the bingo wings that I came home with :shock: ... I'm sure that bingo wings is something that is a Universal name, but if not..click on the following link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropometry_of_the_upper_arm My frozen shoulder has improved slightly and once it's gone, I shall certainly be doing some upper arm exercises.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to post an update on my shoulders just in case anyone else has a similiar problem. Karen, apparently frozen shoulders are a fairly common side effect of aneurysm surgery. Who knew! I've now been told by my PT I have frozen shoulders and the feeling of my shoulders slipping out of socket may be nerve related. They are stable in the sockets and because I have hand tingling and twitching along with restless arm syndrome (which is also nerve related), he is fairly confident I have some nerve damage from the blood in the back of the neck. I'm going to PT to treat the frozen shoulders and we're hoping the nerve issue will go away on its own.