new member - Laura

Yesterday marked 4 months since my perimesencephalic SAH. It happened while I was at the gym, and I was very lucky in that a trainer as well as an EMT were fairly close to me at the time. I was originally taken to my local hospital, but they sent me to a regional neuro center within 24 hours. I spent 3 1/2 weeks there, most of that in the neuro ICU. I had one seizure while in hospital where I lost hearing for several minutes. Has anyone else had this happen? I still have weird things going on with my hearing on occassion - sort of like trying to hear from far away, underwater - and I am very bothered by loud noises. Despite 6 angiograms, they never found the source of my bleed, and I've been told I had quite a bit of vasospasm for the first few weeks. I am still working through the lower back pain as everything is reabsorbed. It's gotten much better, but I'm still quite stiff and sore. Started physical therapy for that last week, so hopefully that will help. Like many of you here, I'm still trying to find the balance between the "old" me and the new.

Welcome Laura! You sound like a lady after my own heart. While I was in the movie theater when mine happened, I am amazed it didn't happen during a workout. I'm a teacher, personal trainer, and running coach. I had run that morning with my half marathon group, but it happened that my first symptom was while holding a large Coke Zero waiting for my husband to come over to me with the tickets to see, of all things, "The Descendants". I actually stayed for the movie. Crazy, huh? (I didn't realize how serious it was.)

I wonder if the hearing loss was related to the vasospasms? I apparently didn't have any discernible ones but I had some funky symptoms at times, so who knows. I'm ten weeks out and still having symptoms.

I've been able to start exercising again but every day is a shoot. Yesterday was a great day and I did a little elliptical and taught a bootcamp (modified for myself), but today my head is singing so I'm suspecting PT is all I'll be able to handle. I did come out with imbalance, tremors, and some aphasia but that's getting better although I'm still stumbly.

Hi Laura,

I think a lot of us on BTG have had issues with hearing. I used to find things sounded far away when I was tired in the early months and had lots of weird ringing & whoosing noises. All of this has settle down over time & I only very rarely get a faint ringing noise now. I'm sure it will all improve for you too given time.

Michelle x

Hi Laura,

I found going shopping took my mind off wooshing noise....eating and having cakes helped but got so fat !!!

It does get better....takes a while...Anway Good luck on recovery

Be Calm and welcome to BTG xx

Love

WinB143 xx

Hi Laura, welcome to BTG!

I'm a perimesencephalic too, nov 10, 2010. I have problems with loud noises and I'm very sensitive to sound. It's gotten better. At first I had acutely sensitive hearing, I could hear the dishes 'touching' in the kitchen cupboards and individual raindrops on the car roof and windshield. Drove me mad. It's much better now but still not normal.

Sandi K.

Hi Laura,

Another NA-SAH here. Ive just passed the three month mark and have made a full recovery. It seems surreal at times and I can't believe it really happened, but I have other health issues I'm dealing with right now, so I'm not off completely scott free :roll:

Anyhow, I hope you feel welcome here. As a new member, I sure do. There is a good thread about fit and active people that have suffered a SAH. You might like that if you're regularly involved in a fitness regime. I'm pretty much back to everything I did before with the exception of no heavy weight lifting for one year.

Take care,

Sue