I'm confused by inconsistencies...have i been advised wrongly?

Hello,

when looking into applying for benefits, I was told that Andy's wages were too high apparently a couple living together need only £105 per week after rent and council tax to live on. I'd like to know who it is that decided that, clearly they have never paid for water, electric, gas, tv, internet and telephone or food and peterol!

As a result, I was told I would not qualify for council tax or housing benefit.

The reason I am confused is that I have recently been means tested to see if I was to pay a contribution towards attending Headway. Although I declared Andy's wages, they have only taken my personal income - ESA - into account. Surely, Social Services and the DWP are both government bodies, why do they have such different criteria? Should I perhaps have claimed these benefits anyway, despite being told I would definitely not qualify?

Dawn x

• 2 weeks later...

The government makes the head spin at the best of times.

Bureaucracy is only good for employing bureaucrats.

I sure hope there is an advocate for you. It is so frustrating dealing with organizations who cannot see past the front of their own desks.

Dawn,

I think the best advice is to claim all of those benefits you talk about. Don't take advice from friends because even with the best intentions they're usually wrong in one way or another. Claim the benefits, and let the organisation responsible for it tell you their decisions. Then, you have something in writing, know the reasons why and you can appeal if you disagree with the decisions. Check their calculations, because they're not infallible either. At worst, they'll turn you down and it'll make you grumpy - at best it'll get you some money and you will understand the benefits direct from the horses mouth.

Good luck

Macca

Dawn,

I think the best advice is to claim all of those benefits you talk about. Don't take advice from friends because even with the best intentions they're usually wrong in one way or another. Claim the benefits, and let the organisation responsible for it tell you their decisions. Then, you have something in writing, know the reasons why and you can appeal if you disagree with the decisions. Check their calculations, because they're not infallible either. At worst, they'll turn you down and it'll make you grumpy - at best it'll get you some money and you will understand the benefits direct from the horses mouth.

Good luck

Macca

I have been taking advice from Community Law Services, not from friends. This is a free solicitor service in the local area. I have another meeting with them next week as I have to fill out yet another form to see if my ESA will continue past the initial 13 week period.