Hi I'm Steve

stevebakmand

I had my SAH on 24th September, headache such as I would not believe possible plus photophobia. Took all the painkillers I could find and saw practice nurse the next day who gave me more painkillers and said come back in 2 days if not better! Saw a doctor when I went back who sent me straight to Great Western Swindon, they did a scan and transferred me to Neurosurgery John Radcliffe Oxford who did further scans and angiogram. Transpired that I am one of the lucky ones, no aneurysm just a prepontine bleed that should have no long term effects. I was discharged on 4th October with a pile of painkillers and told to rest, but no real information about what to expect, when to go back to work, drive etc, they did not even give me a sick certificate, I had to get a GP appointment for that. Luckily I have an understanding employer who said take what time you need.

I still have headaches but the worst thing now started a few days ago, that is a pain in my lower back, like sciatica, that can only be controlled with strong painkillers. It comes and goes, sometimes it only hurts when lying down. A bit worrying but I guess it is part of the healing process.

I am very tired all the time and even a short walk leaves me exhausted. All very scary for me and my partner, I have until now been very healthy, used to smoke but quit 3 years ago, moderate drinker.

I'm seeing my GP again next week and do hope for some improvement soon, when the constant aches and lack of sleep get me down I console myself by thinking how lucky I have been.

Steve.

Hi Steve, warm welcome to the site, glad you found us...

Why not get an appt with the GP before then just to make sure that the back problem isnt anything to do with what happened.

Leaving hospital with no information is a problem across the board we all have had that at one time or another....

Rest, drink lots of liquids & listen to your body when it says rest then rest....

take care

Hi Steve,

sorry to hear about your SAH. Assuming you didn't damage anything at the time of your SAH (by falling or something), the pain in your back sounds not unusual. I had this after my SAH, it was in my back and spreading down the backs of the legs. It occurs when the blood starts to track down from the brain, down the spine and it settles at the base of the spine irritating the spinal nerves there, giving rise to a sciatica like pain. It should pass of its own accord in the next week or two. My neuro consultant said this is not uncommon. Do speak to your GP though if you are concerned.

Post SAH support seems to be lacking somewhat in the UK. It took me 7 weeks to get the phone number of a neurovascular nurse to ask questions of! You can get support here though, it's a good resource.

best wishes for your recovery

Vanessa

I was told I wouldn't walk again, I am up to 80 yards before I need seat as back aches also had sciatica that hurt also lol

Keep thinking positive thoughts and try and keep happy, easier said than done.

When I'm on a low I feel so ill, but when I think happy thoughts I feel so much happier and not so down and no headaches.

Keep singing and smiling no matter what.

Best Wishes

WinB143 never give up ! oh and welcome to BTG x

Steve, be gentle with yourself. , I am glad you are doing well but it will have been a scary time all round. I found using hot packs alternating with ice packs helped with my back pain. I had that and also got some wierd tingling feelings post bleed and still do to be honest, but as Vanessa said it was also explained to me as the blood dispersing. ( i had a lot!) Kinda makes sense being in a closed system means its going to irritate other bits as it disperses. I would definitely wor with your GP to understand a bit more about what the impact of this episode is and what support is available if you need it. Best wishes.

Welcome to BTG Steve. Our stories are very similar. Take your time and get lots of rest. Drink lots of water, it helps with the headaches. At this stage don't expect too much of yourself. Your brain is frantically trying to rebuild neurotransmitters while still being in shock. It takes a lot of energy to do that.

Sandi K.

Xoxoxo

Hi Steve,

Apologies for being a bit late in welcoming you. It is very recent since your event, so sleep, sleep and more sleep will be on the agenda as you and your brain start the healing process. It can be a slow process, but be assured, things will improve, albeit at a slower pace than you might wish. I'm sure you will gain plenty of advice through this site that has helped so many of us along the way.

Gotta dash, (work:frown:)

Take care

Sarah