moments of forgetting SAH?

I just started having moments where my thinking was like the old Pre-SAH. Where my brain feels 'normal.' I found myself having 2 such times yesterday. I also walked faster and had another moment of complete no pain in my back which has never happened before post-SAH. Unfortunately, it was close to bed time so I didn't get to fully enjoy the time to its fullest.

Has anyone else had these fleeting times? If so, do they happen more often as time goes on? I'd love to hear about your story.

I was so depressed that the fleeting times passed as SAH returned. Today was even a 'bad' day as I had to lay around a bunch. Bluh. NASAH what a bummer and a tease you are sometimes.

~Kris

Kris, I have a couple of times a week that I forget - Usually it is some kind of joking around or horse play at work and ..........it comes back. Easter I forgot while walking down the steps to bring my ill neighbor a meal and almost fell........that is what usually happens when I forget ......oh must look where my feet are!

I am hoping this summer to garden and that should make one forget.

Maryb

I do try and say to myself " Today Win you can do whatever life throws your way" then realise who am I kidding.

I try and take one day at a time. Good days are a blessing, rough days I usually come on here and you lot cheer

me up.

I am getting there but a little thing turns me into a sobbing wreck (and bad words come out).

I am definately better but still a long way to go.

Good Luck All

Be Well

Love

WinB143 xx xx

put log instead of long ( idiot Win)

Edited by Winb143

Yes sometimes but most days I dont think of it I dont dwell on it it dosnt take up my thinking time unless Im trying to organize something then I have to because I have to manage my time...

try not to dwell on it as that isnt good.

take care

Kris,

This is an interesting question. I think you are ahead of me on the road to recovery but I am finding that my 'highs' and 'lows' are much more marked these days.

For example on a good day I am now able to undertake activiities that provide me with pleasure (baking, gardening). Even when I am engrossed in such activities I do not forget the challenges that my SAH has left me with, but they are no longer the predominant thoughts in my head. This in turn leaves me with a greater sense of achievement and well-being.

On the down side, when I hit a low I seem to go down with a 'bang' and take a few days to recover.

I also found that post SAH I did not have any experience of dreaming whilst I was asleep and I seemed to go from very deep sleep (REM?) to wide awake with no interim stages.

I have assumed this is due to the fact that my traumatised brain was inducing very deep sleep to aid the recovery process? However in the last few weeks, I have started to experience slight recollections of dreaming on waking. I am taking this as another postive sign of my contined recovery.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar with sleep patterns/phases?

Wem

Kris,

I also found that post SAH I did not have any experience of dreaming whilst I was asleep and I seemed to go from very deep sleep (REM?) to wide awake with no interim stages.

I have assumed this is due to the fact that my traumatised brain was inducing very deep sleep to aid the recovery process? However in the last few weeks, I have started to experience slight recollections of dreaming on waking. I am taking this as another postive sign of my contined recovery.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar with sleep patterns/phases?

Wem

Admin Note: I shall add this to the SAH forum as it's a different topic, so please respond by clicking on the following thread: http://www.behindthegray.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?8624-Sleep-pattern-post-SAH&p=90669#post90669

• 1 month later...

I am definitely having moments of forgetting. The main remaining issue is the chronic daily headaches. There are good days and I feel like the old me, but when the headache comes back it feels like I just come crashing down. I am very VERY thankful for good days. Even with the daily headaches (they vary in intensity) I still do more than most people do but I miss the old me where I would get up and go to the gym, swim a mile, go to work, come home and run 5 miles, teach bootcamp. I can't do that any more because I can't use up my spoons in the morning before work. It just is so defeating.

I keep saying "I am so over this!" Guess not! LOL!

Teech, The more I do the more I forget.

However I drove to Chicago Monday- about 70 miles from my house all expressway driving. I had a back up driver familiar with the route to Northwestern University Hospital which is in the heart of downtown along the lake. I was really proud I was able to get there and rememeber the streets to turn on etc... being in the city did not freak me out too much. My appt was at 2:30 so I had a cup of coffee before the appt which kicked in nicely and I was able to drive home. Granted the appointment was a happy uplifting one with a great doctor. If it were with a jerk face I may of not been able to drive home. But I was most impressed with my driving. I may or may not attempt it alone or not next time we shall see. But it is a really big deal in my book.

When I had seconds of panic I was almost saying SHUT UP out loud to that voice in my head. It was so quick too, kind of funny ---like "mind" don't you even dare spoil this with panic right now! SHUT UP!!!!

maryb

PS I did have a bit of help when I was trying to get my parking garage ticket inserted into the ATM machine.

That is fantastic, Mary! Things we used to just take for granted are now such blessings. I didn't drive for about 6 months outside of down the street to the park or something. I remember driving to work in September and feeling so free. I love my husband, but it was nice to be alone in the car.

He still drops me at work if I'm having a bad head day, but not bad enough to put me in bed. The one thing I hate about that is that I have to get there an hour early and stay almost an hour later., I always get a lot done, though.

Now, I don't even think about driving while I'm doing it...OK, I do but in the every day normal way I used to do it. As I read your post, Mary, I remember all that wondering and navigating on trying to do a longer drive on my own. I even had that exact experience in a paid parking lot. The machine asked me for my credit card and I kept inserting it over and over the wrong way...duh, but what can you do in the moment when you just can't conceive of it. A kind lady probably got tired of waiting for me, gave me 3$ cash to put in and that seemed to work. It was only later did I realize what went wrong in the first place.