Aspartame

Hi There

I can't remember which thread I read it on regarding this - it was a post by Dorina I think - I made some comment about curling up in a cave and eating bat droppings - Keith warned me against it :lol:

Anyway, it's really just to say that I have cut Aspartame out of my diet completley and replaced it where possible with Splenda or normal juices and guess what? My headaches have all but disappeared. I've also cut out chocloate - but thats more of a diet issue than a toxin one. Don't know if its the lack of chocolate or the aspartame that has helped the heads so will have to indulge in some chocolate to find out :lol: But seriously, since cutting out the aspartame my headaches have reduced dramatically, so all those out there still suffering from heads and using aspartame - try cutting it out and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers

Sami xxxx

Hey Loobie

Yep, its certainly a case of suck it an see for us all now isn't it. I agree with whoever it was that said we should publish a self help booklet on the do's and don'ts for SAH sufferers.

Away for a glass of Vimto :lol:

Sami xxx

• 2 months later...

Me again

Think I might have jumped the gun a bit where the aspartame was concerned. At the end of May I said that cutting out aspartame had reduced the headaches. Well, for a bit it did, but I've not had any, still not touching the chocloate or caffeine and the headaches have returned. Maybe it was a coincidental time. I've looked aspartame up on the net and found a useful little booklet. Here's the link

http://www.aspartame.info/

Am going to reindtroduce this to my diet slowly and see if the headaches get worse.

I'm at a point now where I'm just going to take what I want to take when I want to take it - the Gingko was a no no a while ago but I've started taking it again and feel better for it, so hey ho.

Sami xxx

Hi Sami, I can't remember either but think it was one of the American SAHers as they are generally well ahead of us on these things.

My Dad is a diabetic and it got a leaflet through with a damning report on the affects of aspartamine.

Think it seems to be best to go as natural as possible, I remember after my first SAH I immediately went off all processed foods, bizzare must be the bodies natural defence mechanism.

Must try the Gingko, I'd tried Gingsing b4 all this and it gave me severe heartburn, never thought of the Ginko.

Thanks

Aine

Hi Aine

Long time no chat :D

Yeah there have been damning reports but this website refutes all of those allegations - surely over 130 countries can't be wrong and apparently the US is one of the countries who condone not condemn it. There is so much "don't take this", "don't drink that" "only eat this" and "only eat that" that I really don't dive a damn anymore. If Aspartame is really as bad as some claim, then why hasn't it been banned? If its as damaging then why am I the only one of my diet drink drinking friends to have had an SAH - I'm not the only one of them who smokes either. It's too much Nanny State - ing at the moment. We should all be allowed to make our own choices on how we live our lives.

Right OK, I'll get off my soap box now :oops:

Sami xxx

Bizzare, but then look at cigs only now the gov is starting to make changes. But I think you are right we all need to make our own choices, and my mum always says a little of what you fancy ..... and I think she's right.

I did a detox before my wedding didn't lose much weight and still looked like ten tonne tessie, but I felt amazing, did feel like twiggy on the day and had soooooo much energy ah those were the days. Vino is my vice, still did it on the detox and still like a glass now its my bit of normality.

Reread your post, sorry i got the wrong gist of it :oops: Think we all need a soap box now and again!! Has siobhan recovered from her weekend with the SAHers!!

Aine xox

Hi Aine

I agree with your mum too. It's like this binge drinking lark - you're Ok to have 2 units a day if you're a woman (which is a pint) but it's wrong to not drink all week and then have three or four pints on Friday or Saturday! I'd feel more of an alcoholic if I was drinking a pint every night than just a couple or so at the weekends.

I think Siobhan has just about recovered :wink: She really enjoyed it, bless her, especially seeing as there were TVRs there. She's a right little petrol head.

Hope you can make the Christmas one hun, would be great to me you.

Sami xxx

There are lots of reasons why we should all be aware of the risks involved with everyday items that we can buy in any chemist or supermarket. Just because an item hasn't been "banned" doesn't mean there is no risk in using it, do you read the multipage leaflet with everything you use? I know of quite a few over the counter drugs that we should avoid due to SAH. Phenylpropanolamine which used to be a common component of cold and flu remedies has been "proven" to cause SAH in people but in the UK we were slow to ban this substance (if you are female and had your SAH over four years ago have you been told this?). Bonjela is not allowed if you've had a "cerebral haemorraghe" and ibuprofen can dramatically increase your BP.

Only now are we clamping down on smoking which we all know does and will kill you, alchol is also "clinically" bad for you. Where do we draw the line? Do we allow all or none, do we legalise heroin or ban Carling Black Label? Over dramatic? Ask yourself if tobbaco, alchol, cannabis etc were all new to the market which would get a licence as "fit for sale" today?

Scott

Probably none of them. Also with the Nanny state that we live in we shouldn't be eating a lot of red meat or more than 3 eggs a week and although we're told to drink 2 litres of water a day - too much water can actually be bad for you as it washes out vital nutrients from the body before they get a chance to be absorbed - and it thins your blood which we're told to avoid. Too much confliction and not enough hard evidence. Working in the industry we do, we also know that half of the leaflet information for side effects never happens and never will, but they have to cover themselves for every eventuality to avoid lawsuits.

Personally I take Ibuprofen and my BP is perfect, so I know that doesn't affect me - it's more of a case of if you suffer from High BP then avoid taking it.

We may as well ban all fast food restaurants as well - after all we're more obese now due to these places than ever before.

Personally, I think we should all be responsible for our own health and be sensible.

Sami xx

I think it's best to find what suits you, and what makes you feel poorly - and go along with that.

Aside from that, I believe that on the whole - everything in moderation is a good rule - some lean meat, some water, some dairy - makes perfect sense to me. As for the fruit and veg - I noticed I felt different when I increased my intake, even if I wasn't keen. I'm fairly sure I noticed a difference cutting down on more processed foods too.

I am a bit of a piggy - I eat lots of chocolate, lots of sweets, lots of dairy - but I balance it out with a fair bit of the healthier stuff too. Just wish I could drink more water easily - just dont like the stuff!!

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of turning this thread into one about ibuprofen instead of aspartame, I can't find any real evidence that occasional short term use affects blood pressure in any dramatic way. What can be a problem is ibuprofen reducing the effectiveness of certain anti-hypertensive medication. When I had a problem with my shoulder some weeks ago, I used ibuprofen to relieve the pain, even though I'm on anti-hypertensive medication. The warnings on the packaging say to seek medical advice, which I did, and was told that short term use is not usually a problem. I was prescribed Diclofenac, which just didn't cut the mustard, so I went back on ibuprofen and my blood pressure didn't suffer as a result. I suppose the type and strength of blood pressure meds makes a difference, so it's always best to seek medical advice.

Regards

Keith

• 10 months later...

Hey guys

For those interested or curious about the Aspartame debate - I found this list of side effects on the internet.

Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:

Eye

blindness in one or both eyes

decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision

pain in one or both eyes

decreased tears

trouble with contact lenses

bulging eyes

Ear

tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound

severe intolerance of noise

marked hearing impairment

Neurologic

epileptic seizures

headaches, migraines and (some severe)

dizziness, unsteadiness, both

confusion, memory loss, both

severe drowsiness and sleepiness

paresthesia or numbness of the limbs

severe slurring of speech

severe hyperactivity and restless legs

atypical facial pain

severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric

severe depression

irritability

aggression

anxiety

personality changes

insomnia

phobias

Chest

palpitations, tachycardia

shortness of breath

recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal

nausea

diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools

abdominal pain

pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies

itching without a rash

lip and mouth reactions

hives

aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic

loss of control of diabetes

menstrual changes

marked thinning or loss of hair

marked weight loss

gradual weight gain

aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)

severe PMS

Other

frequency of voiding and burning during urination

excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating

increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all

death

irreversible brain damage

birth defects, including mental retardation

peptic ulcers

aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets

hyperactivity in children

severe depression

aggressive behavior

suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Epstein-Barr

Post-Polio Syndrome

Lyme Disease

Grave’s Disease

Meniere’s Disease

Alzheimer’s Disease

ALS

Epilepsy

Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

EMS

Hypothyroidism

Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings

Fibromyalgia

Lupus

non-Hodgkins

Lymphoma

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

Makes for frightening reading really - don't want to be a scare monger but there are definitely side affects on there that I can relate to that seem have disappeared since I stopped having it in my diet.

TTFN

Sami xxx