Missed you!

:D Hi,

Jim & I had issues with our computer. :cry: But finally it is up and running.

I was having withdrawals not visiting everyday.

Andy was so kind to copy the booklet that was given to him when he left the hospital. Jim and I have read it several times and it has answered a lot of questions and also explained the procedures that are performed. It has helped us to understand what can happen and that we are not the only ones that have lived through this.

If anyone needs a copy, please let me know and I would be more than happy to copy and send to you.

Jim is having better days. The headaches are still there in the morning but taking advil seems to be working instead of the prescribed meds. He is doing more and being less tired. I have a tendancy to "Overwatch him"

but......I have been the nurse for so long it is hard to let go :)

We had a milestone yesterday. We took a ride in the car and went to Home Depot (which is a store in the US that sells all kinds of things for home repair, Jim's hobby).

It was hard for him in the store as he still feels almost as he says "High" and he says it is hard for him to be out in the air without having the 4 walls around him.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Sorry to be so long winded but I have missed you!

Hope all is well and I will be back tomorrow!

Cal & Jim

XXX

Hi Cal,

Good to see you and Jim doing well.

I don't feel "High" more "overwhelmed" whenever I am in stores or busy places. On occasions I find the movement, colours, light, noise and sometimes smells are simply just too much. Moving from daylight to a bright artificially lit room always makes me feel a little shaky and is particulalry unnerving.

This has lessened over time, though some days it catches me unawares.

All the best.

Hi Cal/Jim

I used to feel the same large stores are certainly the worse and even now I find it difficult to cope with supermarkets/superstores being the worse.

I also find that if I'm on my own its much worse so hardly ever go any type of shopping on my own I always make sure Morris or one of my daughters are available.

Glad to hear that Jim is doing so well.

Janet x

hi cal and jim

I have to agree with Janet, I dont go shopping on my own. I think a lot of it is the busy, rushed shopping process, it makes you feel very vulnerable.Also I think back to when I was rushing around , doing the same things and its very hard at first, but you do adapt.

My first few shopping trips were in a wheelchair, which was a nightmare, couldnt see what was on the top shelf and I had motion sickness because I have double vision.

Things will improve, I think Jim has done really well to be out so soon , his recovery is going really well to be even thinking of DIY, he should be very pleased with himself. take care janex

Hi Cal,

What Jim is experiencing in large shops seems quite typical of many of us here. I still can't deal with very bright light, especially artificial and with all the other sensory stimulation going on, it can make things seem pretty unbearable ....... I find that on particularly bad days, that wearing a pair of sunglasses in these types of shop helps and takes the edge off things.

I also pick a time of day, when the shops aren't busy, as I can't deal with the crowds or trying to avoid them.

Jim sounds as though he's doing very well....

Know the feeling: Paul took me shopping this afternoon, usually I go to Morrisons or Sainsburys but this time we went to a local Asda as my sister had said they had toasters on offer and ours has bit the dust.

Well, I won't do that again! I couldn't find anything in an unfamiliar store, kept getting fuzzy and butterflies in chest and tummy. By the time I got the shopping and got to the checkout I thought I was going to pass out and started to panic.

So yes, I think we all have similar problems with artificial light, unfamiliar places, load noises and too many people.

I usually have to have a sleep when I return from the usual shop and feel exhausted, but today I've also been a bit depressed and flat ever since too.

Love and hugs,

Lesley xx

Thank you all for your responses.

It appears that many of you have suffered SAH in the past year, or so it seems by the dates that you have joined the site.

I am hoping, as I am sure you all are that eventually this will go away.

Jim and I have a "Game Plan". :wink: We are going to go to a store each day on the week-end to make Jim accustomed to the surrounding he so much enjoyed prior or his SAH. I work days all week and by the time I get home Jim is too tired to go out.

We are on a mission to bring Jim back to the quality of life he knew!

Wish us luck!

Cal & Jim

XXX OOO

Hi Cal & Jim

A 'game plan' is good I did them.

Dont go when it busy even if you only stay 5 mins or less then slowly build it up, but I found when there's something like that, that's hard just keep at it till your brain becomes acostomed again :roll:

Hope your looking after 'yourself' Cal?

Take care

Louise.xxx

Louise,

Thanks for your thought about me taking care of me. Something I have not thought about in a long time.

I also take care of my 80 year old Dad that is not in great health, so "me" is not really an option.

But, you are right. I should pick up a good book and take a spot on the couch. :wink:

Take care,

Cal

XXX OOO

Cal, people tend to forget the other person like yourself or Ronnie my husband, in the hospital the staff were always asing if Ronnie was ok looking after himself, because he had to be strong & its true so yes try & have time for yourself.

I admire you doing what you do, sending you a big hug.....

Louise.xxx