Hi from Alabama

Guest Jen

Hello,

I am so excited to find you guys. I am 30 yrs old and had my SAH 6 months ago. I never dreamed that 30 woul dbe this bad. I had a non anuerism bleed in the right occipital lobe. I have partial blindness in my left eye. I lost my peripheral vision and lower vision on the left side. I am doing well except that I will walk into things that are on my left side and sometimes trip over my childrem:). I have gone back to my daily routines again, just a little slower. Working full time has been hard and I may have to decrease my hours again. The fatigue has been a big problem. If I get too tired, I will get a migraine and will have to go to bed. I try to take a short nap in the afternoon, but it is hard with small children.

My SAH was out of the blue. I had no other health problems, except I have arthritis. I had been taking anti-inflammatory medications for pain when the bleed occured. My nuero-surgeon does not think that the medication caused the bleed, but may have made it worse. All my MRI's and Angio's have not shown any abnolrmalities. When my bleed occured, my husband and I had just gone to bed. I woke up about a hour after, feeling like I had been hit in the head with a baseball bat. I waited about 30 minutes and the pain kept getting worse, so I woke my husband up and tld him I thought we should go to the hospital. My medical background was telling me I was having a stroke, but I could not believe that it was happening to me. My husband had called the neighbor to come watch the babies, within 10 minutes I had lost my vision. I knew where I was mentally, but I could not see where I was. I cannot remember much that happened after I arrived at the ER. I do remember the doctor coming in a telling my husband that I had a hemmorhage and that they were transporting me to another hospital to meet the surgeon. I did not have surgery. but spent 3 days in ICU and 5 days on the floor. It took about 6 wks after that for the blood to totally resolve. I have been cleared by the nuero-surgeon and now see just a nuerologist for the migraines and opthamologist for my eyesight.

It feels so good to tell my story to others who understand what I am going through. When i tell my friends and co-worker, they sympathize, but cannot fully understand the impact it has had on my life. I would have never really began to live, unless this woul dhave happended to me. It is the best and the worst experience of my life. It has taught me not to always sweat they small stuff. It still bothers me that my house does not stay as clean as i would like, I guess I will just have to hire a maid :)

Thanks for listening, I look forward to talking to you all soon.

Jen

Hi Jen-welcome to Karens site-she has done brilliant in setting it up and it is great to find International guests like yourself.

The site is quite active and gathering momentum as the Hospital site from Southampton and salford appears to have gone-so Karen did this herself!!!

You will find lovely people her who can offer support and share their experiences.

Do take time to read the articles which may help.

I had a non aneurism SAH 2 years ago-only real issues now are still tiredness and emotional.

So glad you have found the positive side as well as the negative...Karen has eyesigt issues so she will no doubt be in touch!

It must be really hard with young kids-I hope hubby is good to you..It must be hard for him.

Keep in touch and it is great to hear from you

Andy P

Hi Jen

Nice to hear from you, I used to walk into things too but it got better my optic nearve was damaged by the Brain Haemorrhage.

Yes this is a fantastic web site its the first time I've come across people who find the same day to day struggles as me - wonderful we're not alone. :lol:

Have I read right your back to work full time, wow that's great but maybe you should be taking it easy? & with 2 small kids that's a full time job in itself. :roll:

I agree with Andy hope hubby is helping out, I found that mine was so benificial to my recovery. :roll:

Take care bye for now

Louise.x :wink:

Hello Jen, from OHIO!!! We now have an Ohio, an Arizona and now an Alabama. We are so happy to have you join us and all of our overseas friends. You will find wonderful support here. In just the last week this site has been a real godsend to me. The journey is a real roller coaster.

You are so right that no one "gets it" like the people here do. We are all changed forever.

Love,

Annie

Hi Jen! We have a lot in common. I'm from the States (Las Vegas, NV) had a non-aneurysmal SAH going on 4 weeks ago, I'm 35 and I'm a registered nurse.

This site has been great for me. I hope you find the support and information you need here, I'm sure you will!

Love!

Ember

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have to admit that I cried to see the replys. I have needed something like this for awhile. It is so nice to have some one to relate to. It so funny to know that we are all from different parts of the world and have so many different backgrounds, but have this one thing in common. I spent hours yesterday reading the different articles. I feel like I know each and every one of you. I look forward to speaking with you all soon. I send every one a great big hug for making my day. JEN

Guest Jeanette

Hi Jen

Thanks for posting your story- its amazing that you have managed to get back to work - but please to listen to your body and ease up if it tells you to . Don't be surprised if a bit further down the line you feel that you are taking of few steps back- I think a lot of us have experienced this.

Very best wishes

Jeanette

Hi Jen,

You seem to be doing really well.......Try not to be "Superwoman" though, especially working and having children.....hope that your family are helping you out.

Annie - you must be really happy to have so many new members that have joined the site from the US? I know that you often felt a bit of a loner with most of us from the UK....but it's great to have quite a few international members! :D

Really great to hear your story Jen.....you're not alone....we often have a whinge, so feel free.......You're so young to have this happen to you....can't imagine how I would have coped with young children. At least mine are teenagers and can fend for themselves and for that I'm grateful.

Anyway, please make sure that you are resting up when you can ..... lovely to hear from you and take it easy!

Lots of Love Karen x :D

PS: forgot to say that I had a third nerve palsy to my right eye and it's still slightly lower than my left eye.....still suffer double vision looking to the left and upwards.....especially when I'm tired.....also a few problems when I'm driving and too much eye movement etc....makes me feel v.tired and I will normally get a bit of pain in the eye....but it's now manageable and I can live with it! :D xx

Ooops, Sorry Ember! I forgot Nevada!!! Yes, Karen, I am tickled to have some more folks from the states. You UK folks are just wonderful, no problem there, but you're right.... I was the only one from the US for some time and it was a little daunting. :) Anyway, Jen, like you said we are all in this together no matter where we live.

xo,

A

I know what you mean about trying to be super woman. That may have been what got me in this siuations, before I did everything. I was the one who took care of the everything. I was a complete comtrol freak. i thought that my house needed to be completly clean before I could go to bed at night. I would go to work at 430am and not go to bed until 1100pm. I went non stop all day. My husband would beg me to slow down, but I kept trucking along until the SAH. I don't know what was worse the pain from the SAH or not being able to clean the house. I have learned alot and so has my husband. He has been wonderful. The weeks that followed my release from the hospital he found out how hard it was to take care of a 5y/o, a 1 y/o, and keep house. I just sat in my chair and laughed. I know now that it does not matter if everything does not get done , it will eventually will and kids are just as happy eating PB&J' for supper as they are a home cooked meal.

I am in active duty in the Air Force. It has been hard for them to understand my situation. I was working 4 hout days and then went to 6 hour days and now I am working 8 hour days. I am going to talk to my supervisors about cutting my hours again, because it is just too much for me. I promised myself that I would never go back to my old ways, so when I find myself doing too much, I sit down a reassess the my priorites. I will wrtie again later.

JEN

Well Jen-there are few things in life that will make you reassess your situation than this!

I am sure that it has thrown a new perspective on life for you and you will be doing as i did...re-prioritising what is really important..what really matters ..and making your life count.

It isn't being 30 that is bad..it is now a new opportunity for you to see what really is important as you have already said.

Life's prioities take on a different form after such a major life changing event..but hey you are 30 and you are now at an advantage-you know what they are and you can have many happy years making the best of them with your newfound knowledge.

It is a hard way to learn..but there is always a flipside!

All the best with your recovery and for the future!!

Andy P

x

Hi Jen,

I too, was like you before the SAH.....always on the go...had everything organised, ultra efficient at home/work....didn't sit down much and probably juggled too many balls! I wonder how many others on this board were exactly the same pre SAH?

Unfortunately, I cannot do the juggling act now....my short term memory isn't particularly good since the bleed and I can now only concentrate on one task at a time, as my brain doesn't seem to want to keep hold of the uneccesary stuff! :lol:

The SAH has certainly made me slow down, which in a way is probably a good thing.

Very difficult for you with such young children and wow! working 8 hours a day ..... I hope that you can get your hours reduced, as it must be a punishing schedule at the best of times. Your job sounds very interesting though.... do you enjoy it? I miss not working now.....not the stress mind you or the job itself, just the interaction with other people and having a more active mind.......oh and of course the money!! :wink:

Anyway, hope that you're putting your feet up......if that's at all possible with little ones!.......off to bed for me now....need as much beauty sleep as I can possibly get!! :lol:

Catch you later, Love Karen x

Hi Jen

Wow where do I start? I totally agree with everything everyone has said.

I too used to like the house to be tidy, I used to have the juggling act down to a fine art..........not now :( life's too short :)

I couldnt go back to work but I do go to college 2 afternoons a week & sometimes that too much when I think back to what I did in a week gosh!! it amazes me!

Well all for now you dont need to be 'Superwoman'

Hope this all made sense to you tired today.

Take care bye just now :wink:

Louise.x

Hi all

So comforting to find I wasn't the only 'control freak' pre SAH. I tidied the house top to bottom every weekend whilst paul did the ironing. Now I have to do a bit at a time and find that the more I do the worse it looks!!! I still manage the washing and drying of clothes during the week ready for the weekend ironing marathon, I manage to load and unload the dishwasher after Paul has cooked. Like you my husband has been an absolute star throughout all this. He's tried to carry on with everything at work and home. I went back to work full time three weeks after my SAH mainly (we have our business) because I didn't like being on my own. I have bed in the office which is rarely used now and I work from 9am to 6pm. The worse thing for me besides the emotions being all over the place (I cried at a Christina Aguelera song earlier!), is that I don't feel I'm as efficient as I used to be. I was a pocket rocket before now I feel like a fizzled out sparkler!!!!

This site has been my salvation in a way. Paul has been as supportive as he possibly can be but he'll be the first to admit that he cannot understand what I'm going through he can only hold me while I cry and smile when I laugh - and truthfully that's all I expect and want him to do.

As for sweating the small stuff - not worth the time. I read somewhere that a tidy house is the sign of a wasted life - in a way now I agree - if the weathris fine I want to be outside enjoying what money can't buy rather than being stuck inside worrying about whether the pile of newspapers should be moved or the vacuuming should be done. Life is too short and too precious not to enjoy at every given opportunity.

Anyway as I'm being paid to sit here and chat I suppose I better get some work done.

Talk later

Love Sami xxx

Hi again

I cant believe that you said that Sami because that’s exactly what Ronnie said he cant possibly begin to imagine what I’m going through he can only be here to hold me when I need to be comforted, & that’s all I need too….

Someone said that was weird I’m so glad you said that.

As I said Ronnie’s the first to admit that he can’t imagine what it’s like I think we’ve all been blessed with some terrific guys good on them….. :lol:

Louise.x

Hi

Its not weird at all. I know if anything I was guilty of taking Paul for granted before the SAH and now I appreciate him and evrything he does so much. I've fallen in love with my husband all over again and to be able to do that after 12 years together, for me, is a blessing. If anything comes out of this episode in my life it'll be the renewed love and respect that I have for my husband and vice versa. The friends that I have, I realise I have touched more deeply than I imagined before and we're closer than ever. Those I didn't think cared the way I do have proven that they do. I suppose the more time passes the more I come to terms with what has happened and I realise that I cannot change this but i can learn to accept it, adapt to it and learn from it.

Anyway, sermon over :wink:

Catch you lovely lovely people later

Love Sami xxx

Hi

Yes I said to people that if nothing else its brought Ronnie & I closer together, they laughed but its true its like I'd fell in love with him again but with a differnt out look on it, sorry not so good at explaining things words arent one of my things, if you've not already realized that.... :oops:

Louise.xx

Hey Louise

I think you express yourself perfectly. Yuo cut to the chase and don't waste time - absolutely nothing wrong with that sweetie.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has fallen in love all over again because at the end of the day at least there is a nice comforting emotion and feeling in what can sometimes be a very dark and cold place.

I'm finding, by taking the advice on here, that accepting what has happened and readjusting what I can do and who I am that the emotional side will settle down and follow suit. I must admit that I feel the St John's Wort I'm taking is helping, but maybe its a mental thing that because I know there's something I can take to help that I feel it is helping.

Personally the best tonic for me is being on here each day with you guys.

Love you all, you're fantabulous

Sami xxx :wink:

Aw! thanks for that Sami I know I cut to the chase because I forget otherwise.

Yep being on here nattering has really done me the power of good even after all this time I'm still learning what I can & cant do even now.

Karen you have made it possible for me to be able to do it thank-you so much for this site :lol:

take care :wink:

Yep I'll second that one - Karen you are a saint and you have helped so many people by setting up this site. We'd all be lost souls without you. You're amazing. Who knows, one day we'll all meet up and speak face to face.

Love Sami xx

Hi Sami,

Thank you for the very kinds words .... to be honest with you, I don't really see the site as being mine .... I see it as belonging to everyone that's here, using it and contributing their thoughts.... I'm just looking after it for the time being...the Guardian.....does that sound a bit weird?? There's nothing deep and meaningful in my thoughts....but remember, that you guys help me an awful lot and I certainly receive a good dose of therapy!

Anyway, "St. Karen" is about to try and fit her head through the door (along with halo!!.....actually, quite fancy a halo!!"

It would be great to all meet up one day....who know's......it's only us that can make it a possibility......mind you Sami, your xmas and new year sounds great, perhaps we could all pile round to yours!! (Only joking!!)

Love K xx :D