Surgery next week

Hi,  I am new to.the group and this forum.was recommended by another group.

I have 2 aneurysms  discovered after I had a 'swimming head' feeling back in July. I have been told following an mri that I had a 7mm ACA and a 5 mm MCA but my constant headaches and woozy head were not related to the aneurysm s and I had probably had a silent migraine.

I've never had a migraine in my life and don't suffer from.headaches so I'm.not so sure. Before I even had the mri and discovered the aneurysms I had complained to my family doctor of a sharp intermittent stabbing pain above my eye,

Anyway, moving on,  following my angiogram I was told that the MCA could be coiled but the other was wide necked and complex and clipping was my only option, myself and the surgeon have decided that as I have to have a craniotomy,  he may as well clip both and that will negate the need for regular follow up.

The hospital rang today to book me in for next Wednesday. I am terrified now but after going on various sites,  the thought of a rupture scares me more. I have felt frightened for the past few months but feel the situation is now in control.  I am aware of the risks but my surgeon reassures me that dealing with an unruptured aneurysm with preventative surgery is much more predictable and uneventful.

This will be my 14 th surgery but by far my biggest. Maybe due to this I don't have the fear of anaesthesia etc and know I will wake up but just hate the thought of someone tampering with my brain. It somehow feels more invasive and personal.

Hi boozy suzi

I understand how you feel and can understand how you feel it sounds as if your surgeon has your health and wellbeing at the top of his priority.

That is good and although its terrifying the consequences of not having it dealt with could be a lot worse I'm really pleased you seem to have everything under control reading on the web is also a terrifying experience and will frighten you so not a good idea.

Its not tampering with your brain as its normally on the outside of the brain but it is being done so you can lead a normal healthy life without restriction and the dreaded consequences of a full blown bleed.

I really wish you well and a happy future  please come back after and let us know you are ok,

best wishes.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Boozysuzi :)

A very warm welcome to BTG.

You have come to the right place for lots of helpful information and friendly support.

So sorry you are having to go through this bless you, a very scary time for you and family xx

I agree with all that Paul has said,  it is a very good thing your Neurosurgeon is going to operate and prevent a bleed.

Also wishing you well for next Wednesday and for a speedy recovery.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing, we are here for you.

Take care

Tina xx

Hi BoozySuzi,

We are always being told by people who have had it done "it is more Straight forward without the bleed"   I understand you are scared and if I knew what was happening to me I would have been scared also. 

Luckily or not I was out of it due to my Hydrocephelus so I was in Dream Land. 

I remember asking the nurse when having my shunt put in "Will you put my cross back on straight away" and she told me she will be with me all the way too put my mind at ease and I awoke and sung to her lol.  (Hope it wasn't my Dads rude songs).

So you hang in there and I wont tell you not to be scared, but remember no bleed = makes it easier for Surgeon

As Tina has said Let us know how you get on and good luck xxxxx

Love

WinB143 xxxx

Have just had a call to say next week's op is rescheduled for 31/10- to say I am peed off is an understatement as I had psyched myself up for it - the scheduled anaesthetist is unable to make it and his secretary said he is picky about who he uses for aneurysms.

Have been off work the past 2 weeks as the worry was getting too much but now wondering if going back will take my mind off things a bit as I am living and dreaming aneurysms and also only get 6 months full sick pay and would rather leave it for after in.case recovery is slow - :-(

So very sorry to hear your op has been cancelled :( can totally understand how you feel!

The 31st is a long time extra to wait. Such a nightmare for you.

I suppose in a way, it is a good thing that the Consultant wants the best working along side him, so is putting your safety first.

Maybe if you feel up to it, going back to work may help take your mind off things a bit. Only if work is not stressful and tiring. Also only if you have understanding and support in the work place.

Lots to consider. Keep in touch.

Thoughts are with you.

Take care

Tina xx

• Like 3

It is bad enough waiting and you must be feeling let down.

Another woman on here had cancellations and she was getting fed up (to say the least) 

But although you must be stressed, perhaps he wants a team he knows around him, so good for you !!

I know you must be so "grrrrr and fed up" and I am not helping much  xxx

Head up and do not get too stressed (easy for me to say).

Keep Well

Love

Win xxxxxx     Grrr  = me when angry or upset xx

• Like 2

Thank you all so much - I  am tired of being anxious but to be honest I've been fine up to a week or so ago and then it all went downhill.It seems strange to be having major surgery when you're not in agonising pain but I realise I  having major surgery to prevent agonising pain

.A few weeks ago before my angiogram he remarked the ACA annie may be inaccessible but seems to think he can get to it now so I'm assuming the angiogram gave more clarity.Just hoping now I don't wake up to be told he couldn't access it. 

Morning ? what a frustrating time for you. But I truly believe that everything happens for a reason(even hospital cancellations)! I'm sure its no good telling you not to worry, but it sounds as if you're in the best hands. I hope the next few weeks are also relatively pain free & that all goes to plan on the 31st. Big hug to you? xx

• Like 1

Hi :)

That's great news and so pleased you will be with colleagues at the hospital that you are close to and will support you :) so important and what you need right now if back at work.

I really hope that time will move fast for you. 

Keep in touch.

Take care

Tina xx

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi boozy sue, good luck on your up coming coiling. I had mine coiled last April and was just as anxious! it is hard waiting, I just wanted it to be behind me. you will feel so much relief afterwards believe me. my thoughts and prays will be with you, please if you have any questions feel fee to ask. 

Debbie

• Like 1