Dry mouth and horrible taste

Guest ElaineW

Guest ElaineW

Has anyone out there been left with a horrible taste/no saliva since their SAH. I gather that following brain trauma and surgery nerves can be damaged that supply sensation to the mouth which affects the way saliva glands function. Maggie has tried all sorts of mouth washes, sprays etc all to no avail. She says if she was blind folded she would not have a clue what she is eating. Any suggestions what to try?

Elaine

Hi Elaine

I have had a problem with a very bad taste in my mouth since my SAH. For me it seems to be linked with a very distorted sense of smell and taste. When I first came out of hospital the taste in my mouth was so bad that it would keep me awake at night and no amount of tooth brushing, tongue brushing, mouthwashes would help for more than a few minutes. It has gradually got a bit better, more intermittent and maybe I don't notice it so much now. But when it was at its worst, I found sucking mints helpful at least for short-term relief.

Best

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

This may be something a bit differenT, but occasionally since my SAH I have a weird metally taste in my mouth which reminds me of when they used dye during my scan and operation. Don't know if it's my body playing tricks on me, but it's weird

Just after the SAH, I noticed that I had competely lost my sweet tooth and everything tasted extremely sweet (which put my teeth on edge too) .... I also had problems on occasions with swallowing, not sure whether that was due to lack of saliva or the meds that I was on. I still can't eat anything too sweet, whereas I used to be able to polish off a box of chocs in no time ..... now, I can eat the odd one or two, but no more than that. The teeth and swallowing probs seem to have corrected themselves. Nobody was able to explain why I experienced them, but the "sweetness" problem, is still something that's ongoing....

Guest ElaineW

Comments noted thanks everybody. Mum still has the horrible taste which has not abated at all. She cannot taste anything. I have researched about a tablet for it so may be on the cards in the next few weeks. Thing is mum is not a keen tablet tablet (they just don't agree with her) so is not too excited about the thought of another one! She definiitely seems lacking in saliva though and we are going to take it up with the hospital this week.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

I too had and somestimes do still have funny taste in my mouth, my sense of taste did go as well chocolate tasted like liquorice very strange and like karen i had a problem and still do swallowing i do drink alot more water now than before my sah. i think swallowing is a result of stroke though.

I can now eat some chocolate but still have days when it dosn't taste right, my tastes in food have completely changed now anyway, i don't eat half as much sweet stuff and like karen again, i could easily eat lots of choccies and my mouth is a lot dryer now, hope its some used.

Love and hugs to you are your mun

Michelle C :D

Taste has been a big thing for me after my SAH- I've already written about it but after my SAH everything smelled so strong and food tasted awful (everything had the same sewage-type taste) and I also had a bad taste in my mouth.

It's nearly a year since my SAH and though it has improved a bit my taste and smell is still not back to normal and the smell of anything cooking still smells pretty disgusting. I've not lost any taste or smell, it's just badly distorted and over strong.

I was wondering whether anyone has had this problem and seen improvement continuing after a year has gone past. I'm learning to live with it and come to accept that I may not enjoy food again but I'm still hoping for improvement.

Anne xxx

Guest ElaineW

Hi Anne Mum saw the Gastro team today and of all places he has referred her to the Rheumatologists for her dry mouth. Mum suffers badly with arthritis and apparently after head trauma it can cause an inbalance to the auto immunse system which causes a dry mouth and dry eyes(she has both) so we will have to wait for the outome but in the meantimr it is driving mum to despair. She has no taste but can tell the difference between hot and cold so they don't think it is a neuro thing. If Rheum can't help it may go to the Endocrinologists. Mum can chew a peice of meat for 10 mins and it is really getting her down now. Hope your taste improves, it is not a nice thing.

Elaine x

Hi Elaine

I'm glad your mum's dry mouth problem is getting sorted and hope she doesn't have to wait too long for an appointment. It's hard to know after a SAH what's related to the SAH and what's not. For me I think it's my distorted smell that's causing the distorted taste as I think they are closely linked. Can your mum smell anything?

Very best wishes

Anne x

Guest ElaineW

Yes Anne she can smell and can tell the difference between hot and cold - they think it may be Sjorgen's syndrome so we will have to wait and see. Eating is still a problem though.

Elaine