Shoulder periarthritis post SAH

Hi all

I am new to this site. I had a perimesencephalic SAH on 15th Jan 2019, when I was out cycling with hubby and son. I am 40 yr old. I was not conscious for about a day. On day 2 of hospitalisation I developed severe pains in both the shoulders which persisted for a couple of days and needed IV pain relief.

Over a period of 10 to 15 days, I gradually developed weakness of some movements of left shoulder- I can't lift anything with the hand (even now). The neuro team said it was periarthritis of shoulder and suggested physio. The physio did 5 sessions of ultrasound therapy and the pain went off completely.

But now my muscles are wasted around the shoulder and still weakness persists. I have recovered well otherwise. Started working again. Fatigue of course, looks like it is universal for all the survivors.

Did anyone else experience shoulder periarthritis post SAH? Periarthritis usually happens if a person is bedridden for a long time, but I have been bedridden only for a day.

Any inputs will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I can’t give you med advice but did they do mri? I m not sure how your position was when you were out. I am not sure if you do active work with your shoulder or exercised a lot. Ask your neuro about the possible relationship with SAH and maybe see ortho. X Ray will only shows bones and not muscles/ tendons etc etc.

I believe that periarthritis is what's commonly known as a frozen shoulder and could possibly be down to age and wear and tear?

I've never known a frozen shoulder to be linked to a SAH. I've had two frozen shoulders now, one on my right and the other on my left hand side of shoulder.

I believe that the blood that dissapates from the bleed, down the spinal column can affect the nerve endings and the blood can take up to 3 months to clear.

If you're worried and can't lift anything with your hand, I would suggest having a chat with your neuro team. 

Thank you for the response.

No, MRI wasn't done. Three different neurologists were sure it was periarthritis and had nothing to do with SAH. Physio said even if it were something else the only treatment would be physiotherapy. Just wondered if anyone else was in similar situation.

Hi AMI

A very warm welcome to BTG  :) 

Well done for getting back to work and really hope you can resolve your shoulder pains.

Just a thought,  a while after my SAH, i experienced shooting pains from my shoulder down my arm and i could not lift anything without terrible pain.

I went straight to my GP who sent me for an X ray and it came back i had severe Calcific tendonitis. Just came out of nowhere, thankfully nothing to do with my SAH. I had to have keyhole surgery to remove the calcification. 

Ultrasound therapy helped me at first, but it kept coming back with a vengeance, hence the surgery.

Good luck and take care.

Archived