problems with self-image

Hi everyone and glad to be around another day!!!!

Yesterday my physiotherapist wanted me to work in front of a mirror. I refused.

I am a long distance swimmer who hasn´t swum in over 7 months. I can´t because of my left shoulder. I am still waiting for a resonance that might show up what´s wrong with it. Until then, they will not allow me to do any exercise with it. I´m getting some very mild massages but so far no improvement....Eventhough I am not eating more than before, I´m putting on weight and I have lost muscle tone that is gradually turning into flab. My hair has always been streaked because of the sea and the sun. After shaving it off it has grown back almost completely black. I don´t recognize who I see in the mirror.

I have been feeling low the last couple of days and to give myself a boost I have decided to go to the hair salon and have my hair highlighted. I remember asking my neurosurgeon while I was still in hospital and he told me to wait for a month before using any dye on my hair. I have waited 7 but still feel wary. Can anyone relate to this? Has anyone had their hair dyed after a clipping or has had any further advice?

Any info will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks to all

love

Nurianna

hi nurianna

please be down dont forget you have gone through an ordeal which has shocked you so much all you have done is lose some muscle tone which has caused you to add a couple of pounds on which in all honesty is nothing a little excersise would soon restore your earlier svelt body many years ago i was in a wheelchair for two years and my weight gained quite a bit but my phyiso worked me so hard {i hated her rotten } but soon my weight fell off to 11stone seven for many a year its only the last few years its atarted to creep back on you will feel much the same as soon as your pyhiso will work you hard when the time is right and you will get your body back muscle tone can be restored very quicky once you start properly please dont feel to bad i will send you a hug and cuddle with the promise it will get better when he starts working on you in earnest promise as for the hair lin was brunnette before her sah now lin is totaly grey and her hair is growing back thicker than it was before i like you would love to restore lins hair back the way it was but she has to undergo more surgery to replace her skull but when its done i will try to get in done because lin was very particular about her appearence and very proud of her looks

next time look in the mirror and imagine as you work which bit you want to work on and imagaine how you are going to look when you have completed it you might even get a bigger surprise when you complete your rehab go for it girl and imagine how stunning you will look in the not to distant future and go for it pamper yourself happy christmas and new year

Hi Nurianna

I had a clipping done and had my hair dyed after about 3 months. I now have it done regularly every couple of months. The only thing I can't have is bleach washes and that is only because the smell makes me feel sick now it didn't used to.

I can also sympathise with the weight gain/flab I think a lot of us ladies on here have difficulty with our weight and as you say it certainly isn't over-eating. It is most likely the fact that we can't exercise properly due to what our bodies have been through.

Make that appointment and get your hair done it will make you feel a lot better.

Janet x

Thanks for your kind words. Feel better already. It is true that sometimes I forget where and what I come from. These self-pity attacks are spacing themselves out but they can still get me at times. The best antidote I know is gratitude and just let them pass. I think I had reached a more or less comfortable plateau and starting the physiotherapy as awoken new challenges and feelings. I can try to avoid change and anything that "rocks the boat" even when I know down deep it will be good for me in the long run.

I am usually capable of seeing the "glass half full". I remember when one of the nurses told me they were going to have to shave all my hair off. It was quite long back then and eventhough I was half-comatose I can remember thinking.

:"well, I have needed (and have been postponing) a haircut for a while now and here it is!". It just seemed so unimportant at that moment.

It´s great to have this website to write and share the highs and lows. I doubt I would be able to cope without it. Cannot imagine my recovery without it.

Wishing you all the best,

lots of love,

Nurianna

Hi Nurianna

I dyed my hair about 3 months after my SAH, to my horror the hair they shaved off grew back white!!!! I might feel like I am an old lady these days but I I sure not ready to look it!!! :wink:

I am nearly 10 months on now, and I still have moments of total despair, but they are spaced alot further apart than they were. It does get better, even if it is just little bit by bit.

I also have gained heaps of weight, and hate the way I look now, but I am just going to concentrate on making it to my 1 year mark, and then worry about it.

Just remember we have each other to get through this :D

hugs

Shiree

Hi Nurianna :D

I am the same as Shiree....i waited for 3 months, until the scabs had healed on my scar......i was very wary, and avoided going right up to the scar area. My hair also grew back grey ! So long as the hairdresser knows to be gentle and careful, i think you will be fine.....you will certainly feel so much better...i know i did :D:D

Take care

Lots of love to you xx

Love Tina xx

Hi

My hair was all over the place for a few months! and grey! but had it dyed about 5 months after SAH - wasnt ready to stay grey just yet!, I also struggled with looking in the mirror, lost so much weight as well, but begining to get used to it now. Having my hair done was good, made me feel much better, you will too!

Caroline

HI NURIANNA

I WAITED TOO AROUND CLOSE TO A YEAR TO HAVE MY HAIR CUT, BUT I HAD MY SAH COILED SO HAIR COLOR ONLY A COUPLE MONTHS BUT I HAD MY DAUGHTER DO THE COLOR, I HAD A HARD TIME LETTING ANT INE NEAR MY HEAD I KNOW IT WAS PSYCHOLOGICAL BUT IT STILL BOTHERS ME I TALK LIKE A CRAZY WOMAN WHEN I GO HAVE MY HAIR I AM SO NERVOUS.

BUT YOU WILL FEEL IT BETTER NO DOUBT.

LOVE AND HUGS EVELYN

Hi

I had my hair cut about 3 months after SAH and I just had to dye my hair, (grey bits were beginning to show) about 6 months later. I was scared at first but I felt fine so I had my hair done again after 2 months.

In regards to weight, I know that this has had the biggest impact on me and I am still trying to lose the weight but it is hard but I will get there.

Myra xx

I DID IT!

I have had my hair dyed. Well, highlighted. We did it the old fashioned way. Using the plastic cap and pulling strands of hair out of holes in it. This way the dye didn´t reach the scalp and the result is very satisfactory. I enjoyed it and feel different. Thanks for all your kind messages of support and for your understanding.

I wish you all the best for the New Year.

Lots of love :D

Nurianna