Problem walking in a straight line

When I’m walking I often find I start to head off towards the right particularly if I’ve been walking for a while. I wonder if it’s a balance problem caused by the SAH. I’ve my first follow up visit in a couple of weeks so I will ask but I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar. 

Hello Sallios, Yes, I had really bad balance problems initially. I had to use a walker and then a cane as I improved.

I had about 3 months specialized PT and that helped. Learned some tricks to help  ~ like focus on one point while turning and then focus on another point to complete turn (don’t move head to follow turn). At 20 months post SAH I don’t use a cane, but have some odd days when my balance is a bit off.

I usually have to slow down or hold on to my husband’s arm. Now, I also get some dizzy spells (nausea and vomiting) and headaches ~ different than being off balance. They told me probably vestibular migraines. I think stress and change in barometric pressure contribute.  

• 2 weeks later...

Had my follow up today. Consultant not surprised when I told him I tend to veer off to the right.

He did a few simple tests and said bleed had damaged the part of brain that controls balance. He said it’s still early days and to be patient.

If after a year I still do it he says it’s likely to be permanent but to wait and see as it might improve.

Showed me the scan pictures which showed I had a very big bleed as it covered everywhere. I’ve been lucky not to be far worse off.

Memory is ropey. I had an appointment for a blood test at doctor’s this morning.

Walked from home then found myself near the car park by the local shop (I live in a village). Stopped and asked myself where I was going. Turned round and saw the surgery about 100 metres away on the other side of the road. I’d walked straight past! 

Archived