Air travel - does it affect you when you have a shunt drain

Hello Karen and all at BTG,

It's been awhile I know but time moves pretty quickly these days, already I have just passed my 2nd yr anniversary and I am pleased to say I am doing so well. I keep looking in and reading all your news and I take my hat off to all of you that take the time to help others especially the newies going through this terrible thing.

I have a question that I'd like some help with if you don't mind it's to do with my trip back home to NZ over Easter. I will be flying for the first time since my non anyeurism SAH and would like to know from others how they handle it. Scott, you may be able to help me here as you also have a shunt in place. Does the flying experience bother you at all or affect your balance etc. I look forward to any response you can give me on this. Thank you.

Diane Rhedey

Hi Diane,

Lovely to hear from you and it's great to hear how well you're doing! :D

Sorry, can't help you with the shunt or air travel ..... as haven't flown since the SAH. Always had lots of pressure in my ears/SAH pre-SAH and that is a lot worse now .... even on a car journey..... too chicken to fly still!

Most people on here seem to have flown okay though, a few have said that they feel pretty tired after a flight.....but all in all.....the experience has perhaps been better than they anticipated.

Good luck and enjoy your son's wedding!

Keep in touch and send us in a photo if you can ....

Love K xx

Thank you Karen and Caroline for your response to my question re the shunt I will certainly fly with ease now, thanks to everyone and yes I will post a picture on my return. This is a great occasion for me My son although it is his second marriage is marrying a very nice lady who I knew very well when she was a young child, she used to be my daughters best friend at school and spent many a sleepover at my house many moons ago. I used to call her my second daughter back then and now she will be my daughter in law I couldn't be happier. Life is good, and we are all so lucky to be here to enjoy it. Take care everyone.

lots of love from down under.

Diane xxx

Hi Diane,

What a lovely story ..... and glad that you are so happy! :)

Will look forward to seeing a photo ..... or two... :)

Take care and enjoy! ..... I'm sure that all will be fine and allow yourself some time to rest up after the flight.....

Love K xx