SAH (Subarachnoid Hemorrhage) Hull and East Riding Yorkshire

Bless you Paul, you haven't upset me at all xx.... and it's something that I've already discussed with my family ..... I'm always positive, but a realist about the situation that I'm in .... I'm fully aware of what the damage of a 2nd one has done and the struggle that it's been... I know that a third would leave me even worse off and that's why I'm passionate about raising awareness, so that future SAH'ers/stroke survivors don't have to endure this type of situation and they get the immediate attention and care that they deserve.

I absolutely love a frank and honest debate..... and I hope that everybody on this site, feels free to express what they've learned or experienced .... If we can't be honest on here, then I would throw in the towel with this website tomorrow!..... Thank you Paul, as I appreciate your honesty and your posts.....please don't ever feel, that you need to watch what you say..... I'm nearly 4 years down the line and would rather see fact and honesty, rather than being fed a load of bull....I'm too long in the tooth to expect less.... if you know what I mean.... :wink:

Lots of love Karen xx

thanks karen you dont look long in the tooth lol honest but if i can help someone i would love to it takes my mind off what is going on so to speak and makes me work the little grey cells brian if i can help pm me i will do all i can lin told me her wishs to but she has not needed ressus so i havent broken my promise and karen i think you have the foritude to carry on in your own way stay healthy and happy

Hi all

I've just been reading this thread for the first time. Although the Chest, Heart and Stroke nurse visited me at home after my SAH, I've never really felt I had a stroke. I did read once that when classifying strokes, that intracerebral haemorrhage is a type of haemorrhagic stroke and SAH has been added to the list as a subset of haemorrhagic stroke for the sake of classification.

I've kind of identified my SAH more as a head injury type of condition. When I had it, it felt like being hit hard over the head with an iron bar.

Best

Anne xxx

Hi Anne

I was told that a SAH and a brain injury were different! :roll:

if I remember rightly (so thats something) the first SAH is a bleed the second is just what it says injury such as being hit/accident......

there seems so many different views dosnt there....

take care

Louise.x

Hi Louise

yes you're right, they are different. I just meant that for me having the SAH was how I imagined a brain injury would be - sudden and severe pain, that knocked me off my feet. When I had the vasospasms after my coiling, those felt like how I imagined a stroke would be with my losing feeling on one side, speech slurred,etc. For me they were very different experiences, from what I remember!

Best

Anne xxx

I dont remember a thing about having either the SAH or when the Menigitis hit so only go on what I'm told really.....at least it isnt on my mind what it was like I have no memories of that or anything else much :roll:

Hope your keeping well Anne, I see the suns come out at last it was verry muggy this morning....

take care

Louise.x

hi anne and louise

many nhs staff seem to just put everything into the nice little name of stroke an sah is a traumatic brain injury that lead to a stroke so i think the staff need re educating with a stroke it relates to a lack of movements and some impairement within the brain but an sah does involve the brain in as far as the brain has suffered involving other brain functions which they seem to forget and if you suffer a vasospam this futher involves more intergrated functions like your imune system leading to more risk of infections and the lack of cognitive functions which the other type of stroke does not affect as anne says its being linked to being hit over the head with a sledgehammer so i beleive that there are two significant types which need two different types of treatment

• 2 years later...
Hi Brian and thank you for your post.... which is most encouraging..... :)

Unfortunately, if you ask the majority of SAH survivors if they've had a stroke, then they will tell you "no" ..... it's something that I've come across on this message board, time and time again ..... I only realised that I'd had a stroke, many months after my brain haemorrhage and that's through info from the web...... When I set BTG up, I still wasn't sure whether a SAH was classified as a stroke....

I like, the majority of the population, believed that a stroke is caused by a blood clot ...... I was never made aware when I left hospital, that I'd actually had a stroke as well as the brain haemorrhage..... If I had been given that information, then it would have helped me to adapt.....as well as my family.....

I really believe, that SAH survivors often get a raw deal with aftercare post SAH and that because many of us are younger than the normal strokee, that we are pretty much left to get on with things after being "fixed" with surgery (if caused by an aneurysm or AVM) ...... irrespective of how we've been left physically or mentally.....

Thanks for your work Brian, in raising awareness..... :) xx

Hi

After my cranitomy one of the doctors asked me if i remembered him to be truthfull i thought he was the lead singer from the pop group Fine Young Canabals, however that was the meds i was on. Whilst he passed my bed from the corridor he actually infomed that he had brought me Grimsby hospital to Hull Infirmary and that i had indeed had a stroke.The coiling attempt had failed so i had been titanium clipped x I am so lucky to be alive today as my neursurgeon explained that he didnt expect the outcome that happened and that it was shear luck on my part that i came out of the op as i did x I tried to thank him and is team but he just kept saying it was LUCK x since being sent home in January 2011 i was informed that i had been missed off the follow up list and didn't get a follow up appointment until 12th Oct 2011 this is the only appointment so far x Frustration and forgotton x but i have at least found this site x

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Karen,

Like you I have been aware that people with have an SAH do in most areas get a raw deal, and I have spent many months in our area trying to improve that as I think it is your right to have good after care and community support for life .... Your right it is not clear that it is a stroke but it IS JUST THAT and should be recorded as such on all stroke registers...

We need to do more and that is my aim now up here, and believe me I will push this...

Thank you for your kind comments Karen...

Take care, love Brian

Brian M A xxxx

Stroke Survivor

H i Brian,

I'm a SAH survivor, I also was informed i had a bleed previously that had caked the back of my skull and that they do not know how long ago this bleed occurred.

I was taken from Grimsby hospital to Hull Royal where coiling failed so i had a craniotomy

and was clipped.Although i was looked after fabulously during my 3 week stay the minute i left i have had to fight for an appointment in the 14 months of recovery i have had one appointment and had to arrange this myself and insist for a review about my medication for seizures.

What i find interesting is your comment on looking for warning signs. I was led to believe that unless they had accidentiatly come across it there was no warning signs, but i do not believe this for many years i suffered with terrible headaches,vomiting,sinus pain, pain in the right side of my temple and the taste of blood,ear ache, neck pain and various other problems which was always regarded as depression and i was even sent to rheumatology and diagnosed with Fibromyagia, I always had pain in my face but was told to take anti allergy tablets. A short time before the haemmorrage i told my family that i believed i had a tumour in my head and i wanted it out.

So i believe if doctors listened more instead of everything being about being depressed then perhaps early diagnosis would help save more lives. thankyou

debbie b

I started reading this thead from the beginning........ so I am just throwing my thoughts in. I had a SAH and was treated for the stroke first as they missed the SAH because of an unusual location. ANyway, I was really unaware of the how the term stroke was used so loosely. When I went to my neurologist for my3 month follow up he asked me if I understood what happened to me and gave me a copy of my lastest scan. I told him I had a brain stem hemmorahage etc & they now found a litttle brain tumor" and he said clearly and looked me right in my face " AND YOU HAD A STROKE" . Funny that was an appt my husband was not at and he the other day thinks I am confused by the "term" stroke as he thinks I did not have a stroke as well. I am from the US. Just throwing my 2 cents in, Thanks,MaryB