Anesthesia question

I am a retired/disabled ophthalmologist (it’s actually my glaucoma vision loss which disabled me) I had a NASAH five years ago and the onset was heralded by a terrible headache, like many I struggled with headaches but I was lucky and they pretty much went away after 6 months.

2 1/2 years ago I needed cancer surgery, general anesthesia, and when I awoke I had a terrible headache not as bad as the acute bleed headache but really bad and worse than anything other than that. I need eye surgery next week and it needs to be done under general anesthesia.  

Has anyone else had this problem? General anesthesia triggering headaches?

It may well be coincidence. Did you have any general anaesthetics prior to your SAH? Did you get a headache then? 

Really you should ask the anaesthetist if the SAH has an effect on how an anaesthetic reacts to you as we cannot give medical advice. There could be many reasons for leaving you with a headache, for example, the type of anaesthetic used, your body changing over the years.

I always used to vomit badly after one until I mentioned it and the type was changed. Not a problem now.    

Hi there

As Super said, we cannot give medical advice and this is something that you should discuss with your surgeon.  

I have had two operations under general anaesthetic since my bleed and have not suffered any after effects at all.

Hi there :) 

I hope your eye surgery goes well. Like the others i also have not had a bad headache after anaesthetic. I did used to get bad sickness, but like  Super Mario, once i told them it has not happened since. It could be you are very dehydrated from fasting. I was told i could drink water up until 7am before surgery. Maybe if not too late you could ask them to clarify that and if it would be allowed and work for you.

Take care and let us know how you got on.

Tina xx 

• 6 months later...

OK follow-up. I’ve actually had two surgeries since the post. The anesthesiologists both times thought it was an interesting observation and did the cases with IV (propofol) anesthesia avoiding inhalation agents and I had no problems. So really don’t have an answer was it just a coincidence or did the NASAH change my brain in a manner which would make inhalation agents trigger a headache? 

Archived