Contraceptive Pill Link with SAH

hiya , when i was in hospital after my sah 3 yrs ago i was interviewed by a medic cant rememeber where she was from, but they were trying to find a link between sah or anurysms with long term use of the contraceptive pill , i was wondering has anyone else been asked these questions i was in the walton in liverpool .

Hi Lynz

The only thing I can think of is that I've heard the pill can sometimes put bloodpressure up (in people who are susceptible to high blood pressure and not all types of the pill will do this) so this could be linked to a greater chance of a SAH in people who already have an aneursym.

I was taking the pill for years and a few months after my SAH my GP decided I should come off it to help with keeping my BP low as it was a bit high. However she certainly didn't suggest that it caused the SAH in the first place.

Best wishes

Anne

Hi Lynz.

I know that many GP's would perhaps prefer us to come off of the contraceptive pill ... especially after a SAH or stroke and if you smoke or have a history of high BP.

I'm prone to ovarian cysts .... in which, the contraceptive pill helps, as it stops ovulation and stops cysts developing .... so, I'm still on it. I don't have high BP, so they're happy to keep me on the pill..... it's the lesser of the two evils, as my experience of ovarian cysts, is like giving birth ..... without the baby....

As to the relevance of the pill, with the SAH .... then I really don't know .... but from what I've read, their seems to be some evidence that pregnancy hormones can affect us females re: SAH .... let's hope that they can do so more research into it .... as there's a 3:2 ratio as female to male that go on to have a SAH.

cant really remember what the link was, i think the increase of bp is 5% when on the pill for a long duration i might get in contact with one of the neuro nurses on my ward at the time see if anything ever came off it. the lady said they were doing a study into the links betwen the two , if i hear anything i will let you all know ....

Hey there

I was on the pill for over ten years and had my blood pressure taken every time I went for my repeat prescription (ie every six months). It was never high and I have never had high blood pressure - even when pregnant. I've smoked since I was 15 and, again, never had high blood pressure. Paul has told me that when I had my BP taken in the hospital just after my SAH my blood pressure was perfect.

Sometimes I think aneurysms are caused by a weakness in the artery wall that blisters into the anni over years, I certainly can't put mine down to a high BP and my neurosurgeon confirmed this, as did my GP.

I'm no longer on the pill but have the Merina coil which stops menstruation for some women - (and yes I'm one of the lucky ones yahoooo!!!!!!) I still have my blood pressure taken each year with my coil check and its always been perfect.

Hi all....i was also on the pill...low BP...non smoker....but was told could not ever go back on the pill.....trauma of SAH brought on full blown menopause...so luckily for me no more periods...but hot flushes etc ;)

I was told same as Sami, just a weakness in the artery wall...could have been there for years....who knows. xx

yeah , thats what my surgeons told me it was a weakness and my bp was perfect whilst having my bleed an afterwards , i never really knew how they were trying to link the two...just wondered if anyone else had been involved with this study ........lynz

I've never been able to use the pill. I tried it when I was 17 but it gave me headaches and the lower part of my legs would go numb! I've never smoked and never had high blood pressure until last June, 4 months post SAH.

I agree with Sami, I think mine was caused by a flaw in the artery but we think I have inhereted this flaw. My grandfather died from SAH, my 52 year old cousin died last June from a SAH and another cousin had a 2 aneurysms at 62 and survivied.

My youngest sister is pregant, she's 41. they've been monitoring her very carefully because of the family link. She had horrendous headaches in her early pregnancy and would have to put an ice pack on the top of her head to help ease the pain. This scared me and I'll be happier when her son is born. She is to have tests to check her once he is born. She's tiny, she's only 5ft and I am hoping that she has a c-section. Maybe I'm worrying needlessly but roll on 10 June.

Liz