My consultant thinks MRI scans are a waste of time!

I saw my consultant recently, 7 weeks after my SAH. When I asked him how regularly will I have MRI scans, he said he didn't think it was a good idea for someone to have regular scans as the patient will only worry about the results! I was too gob-smacked to say anything, but now I am worrying whether I will actually get any scans. I don't know what to do - he is the expert I guess, but everything I have read about SAH all say that regular scans should be done as a matter of course.

I am interested to know whether other SAH survivors have regular scans or not?:confused:

Nb - I am going back to work tomorrow, it's been 11 weeks since my SAH and I am a bit nervous but really looking forward to it - getting back to normality!:-P

Tina x

Hi Tina,

Well, I'm a bit gob-smacked too at the comment made by your Consultant -not what you would expect a consultant to come out with.

I think scanning varies, depending on the sah, ie whether it was aneursym related or not and I believe coiled aneursyms are checked more frequently than clipped ones. I am scanned at least once a year at the moment as I have another aneursym that they are checking.

I would imagine your consultant has enough good images of your brain to determine whether there is anything to warrant a further scan, so maybe you do just have to put your faith in him. Whether we need a scan or not, a lot of reassurance wouldn't go amiss - rather than comments like that.

I hope all goes well with your return to work.

Sarah

Hi Tina

I had my SAH last December, and following a meeting with my consultant Feb 10th this year I was sent for an MRi a week or so later, due to some episodes of numbness and tingling in my left hand and foot (I later found out that I'd had severe vasospasm during my op that caused initial left-sided weakness). I was told I would get a follow-up appointment to discuss the results, but after a few weeks I phoned up and they said everything was okay and I wouldn't need an appointment to discuss it!? That made me mad to think they were just going to let me continue to worry but never set my mind as ease!... :crazy: It is amazig that some of the medical profession think we don't need to know about these things...

I am due to have a check-up angiogram 3rd Dec, and have another follow-up appointment already booked for Feb 10th next year.

It seems to be a postcode lottery as to how often you might be checked, and how... and also depends on whether your aneurysm was completely occluded (as mine was 100% occluded), and whether you have any other aneurysms (which I don't, as far as I know).

Rgds

Kelley

Yep, I was clipped and told that I don't have any other aneurysms and that I don't need follow-up imaging. That I'm safer than the percentage of the population walking around with aneurysms that don't know it! I trust my surgeon implicitly - she saved my life and she's been doing this for a long time, so if she says I don't need scans then I have to trust her.

I had coils placed, and so have to have MRAs to check the coils. Had my 1st one 6 mo. post SAH. Have another one scheduled for end of Jan., then 1 a yr. from that and another a yr. from that. As long as all of those are good, I'll be "good to go". That is the protocol for coiled annies, at least where I live. I guess it varies, depending on the procedures you've had and whether you have any unruptured annies they're watching. Unfortunate though, that your consultant was so flippant with you! I'd be on the phone complaining and asking for an explanation of what to expect for follow up procedures! Hope you get some answers so you can get rid of the worries!!! Take care

Thanks everyone,

I appreciate the replies. My SAH was caused by an aneurism and it was coiled - thats why my consultants comments have got me worried - everything I have read about it says that regular mris need to be done when you've been coiled as they can settle over time, leaving a gap which would have to be recoiled. I'm seeing my gp soon, so I might talk to her about it - maybe she can get some sense out of my consultant lol.

NB my return to work yesterday was great, but boy was I exhausted. I had to leave early as I felt so drained. Luckily I only work Mon, Weds and Fri so I get a break after each working day. I'll be glad when I can get through a whole day without getting exhausted!

ttfn, Tina x

Hi Tina60

Well done you on getting back to work to quickly but do rest as much as possible.

I had my anni coiled Feb 2009 and was told in July 2009 that I would be checked once a year for 5 years. I had my artery coiled as well as the aneurysm. I had a follow up angiogram in Feb this year and it showed no leakage. I saw my consultant in July and he made the decision to dishcarge me because the artery had shrivelled, so the procedure was successful. He told me that they would have been following me more for their information rather than for me. My case was very unusual and that was why they wanted to keep data, but there was researcher there who had my permission to copy my notes and scans on the condition that I was not contacted. He also said that it was too stressful for me to keep coming back and that i should be left to get on with my life.

Every case is different and so is what ever follow up is required and the consultant will make that decision. I am very happy not to have to go back for more tests!

Thanks everyone,

I appreciate the replies. My SAH was caused by an aneurism and it was coiled - thats why my consultants comments have got me worried - everything I have read about it says that regular mris need to be done when you've been coiled as they can settle over time, leaving a gap which would have to be recoiled. I'm seeing my gp soon, so I might talk to her about it - maybe she can get some sense out of my consultant lol.

NB my return to work yesterday was great, but boy was I exhausted. I had to leave early as I felt so drained. Luckily I only work Mon, Weds and Fri so I get a break after each working day. I'll be glad when I can get through a whole day without getting exhausted!

ttfn, Tina x

I admit if I'd been coiled and the consultant said I didn't need MRIs I'd be worried too! I hope your GP can get some sense out of the consultant, like you say! Good luck.

As for returning to work, wow! Well done you :) I'm glad you get a day's rest each time though. I know that 8 months on I still get exhausted at the slightest thing. And I mean "exhausted", like an SAH survivor exhausted! Do you get that I'm so exhausted it hurts feeling? I hate that!! Good on you and keep smiling :D