Wrapped and clipped aneurysm

Hi Everyone

Karen here just thought I'd ask if anyone knew anything about this procedure. My SAH was in Sep2010. One anni was clipped which had caused the bleed. This was a small one. My neurosurgeon said the large anni in my head was large and an unusual shape, he said he clipped part of it and wrapped the rest in muslin.

Has anyone else had this done or does anyone know anything about it?

I have ( SAD ) seen a video clip on You Tube of this but can't find out any useful info

As always I will be very grateful for any responses;-)

Regards

Karen x

hi Karen

I have in the last few months heard of 'wrapping', as a friend at works' father-in-law had this done to his aneurysm last year. I had only ever heard of coiling or clipping so was surprised when she mentioned this method too.

I do not know any more about the procedure or how it works, but have found the following doing an online seach;

When the aneurysm cannot be clipped because of the nature of the aneurysm or poor medical condition of the patient, the following alternatives may be considered:

•Wrapping: Although this should never be the goal of surgery, situations may arise in which little else is possible (eg, fusiform basilar trunk aneurysms). Plastic resins may be slightly better than muscle or gauze for this purpose. Wrapping can be performed with cotton or muslin, with muscle, or with plastic or other polymer. Some studies demonstrate benefit with plastic or other polymer, but others show no difference from natural course. In one study with long-term follow-up, the protection from rebleeding during the first month was unchanged, but, thereafter, the risk was slightly lower than for the natural history.

See: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/252142-overview

You may indeed find other information when searching, however some info online can be mindboggling as it is written in another language entirely, also known as 'medical jargon' :crazy:

Rgds

Kelley

Edited by Karen
To acknowledge original Author or Source re: copyright - http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/252142-overview

[You may indeed find other information when searching, however some info online can be mindboggling as it is written in another language entirely, also known as 'medical jargon' :c]

Hi Kelley

Thanks for the info. Your words above are very true that is the problem I have had.

Have I understood your info. Is my risk of a rebleed from the wrapped anni very low then??

Regards

Karen x

Hi Karen

As Penny has said, you will need to ask your Neurosurgeon or consultant that question,as I have only pasted some info I found online about the procedure.

Give the hospital a call and ask if someone can call you back, as I am sure you will want answers sooner rather than later,

Rgds

Kelley

Thanks to Penny and Kelly. I was just trying to confirm what the internet said. Of course I understand the neuros are the ones to ask. Sorry if I have been misunderstood I know we are not meant to give any medical advice

Once again thanks for your support

Karen

• 5 months later...

Hi just thought I would fill you in with a little info. It seems to me there is hardly anyone out there who has experience of wrapped aneurysms. Well i have found out that my large anni is across 2 arteries and could only be wrapped

However the radiologist is very curious about it because it is rare and in an unusual position. I have been for an MRI and awaiting results which I will share for the benefit of any other people that are in this position.

My health has been good recently and the seizures I began to endure on a monthly basis have lessened in intensity. I still get tired and work is still on a phased return. My employers,colleagues have been great. All this has led to me feeling positive. if it wasnt for the tiredness I am still enduring I would be very happy

My long term memory is very good leading me to want to get in touch again with old friends and family that have drifted.

BUT.............................Short term memory Im having problems with, a shame since I use to be good at it!!!!

However I feel lucky and blessed everyday especially when I look at my son who has just completed in his gcses. I have to be very proud of him managing to cope in the year his mum had a SAH

We are all lucky.

We need to stay positive

I'm sending out some positive vibes today and much love to you all

( sorry if you find this irritating. I think some days are like this and you all know)

Love

Hi Karen,

Your positivity is an absolute privilege to read :-D and there's never any need to apologise for that or feeling good! ... You're a proud Mum and I felt blessed and the same pride with my children when they were taking their exams after I had the SAH. In my book, that's what surviving is all about! I still feel very proud with their achievements and they're now 24 and 20! :biggrin:

I'm glad that your health has improved and that your seizures have lessened in intensity and life is treating you a little kinder and hope that it continues to get even better! I still have issues with tiredness and short term memory, but at nearly 6 years on, I'm able to cope much better than in the early years and have experienced even more recovery over those 6 years, even though I'm beginning to hit a bit of a plateau now, but never give up! :wink:

Your posts about wrapping and the type of aneurysm that you have, even though rare on BTG are sure to help future survivors, so keep posting, as all information is good!

Hugs to you Karen and keep smiling! :biggrin: xxxxx