Benefits & DLA

Guest cdl

Hi,

I tried to claim for Incapacity Benefit, but I didn't qualify. I was self employed and hadn't paid enough National Insurance contributions. It took them nearly 3 months to come to that conclusion, after having to fill out a mountain of paperwork and go backwards and forwards to the Docs for sickness certificates.

If you're not sure what you're entitled to or need help with form filling, a good place to seek advice is your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Try posting on the Different Strokes website as well, (there's a link to the site on our homepage) I'm sure that there's a few people there, that could help you.

Hi there

I go with Karen takes a while & there is a forrest to fill in, but dont be put off, I get Incapacity Benefit but I dont qualify for anything else, (free perscriptions, dental, eye) because my husband Ronnie works...

Take care

Louise.x

Guest Mummybear

I was refused incapacity benefit to Karen and the forms were a nightmare to fill in for me because i couldn't remember dates etc. The benefits office i used were very unsympathetic and looked at me and Nigel as though we were scrounging off them. :evil:

Nigel had to give up work for 18mths because i couldn't manage with the children and housework so we had to claim income support once our sick pay ran out. I had to claim for us as a family because our home is in my name and i have a teenager from a previous marriage. They wouldn't deal with Nigel at all and when they needed to see us i was forced to go upstairs to the office on my own, i explained that i had a fear of being on my own and in strange places but they didn't care less even though they could see the state i was in. They also forced us to live on £40 per week for six weeks whilst they sorted out our claim. I had to make a complaint to them because i couldn't cope with all the stress of it, they then decided to do all business over the phone which was a great help. If you feel you're being treated unfairly don't just except it - Complain !!!

I now get low rate DLA but was refused the first time so i appealed and won. I've just sent off my renewal form and if it's refused i'll appeal again because i know people who claim this and have nothing wrong with them which really angers me.

TIP. If you do apply for DLA fill in the form as though you're having one of your 'bad days' and if you're refused appeal because most first time claims are refused.

Here's a link which might help you with claiming benefits...

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/

Hi Jan,

What an awful experience.....but it seems to be the norm....I've also heard that most people are refused DLA and have to appeal......I suppose that they hope that a percentage of people just won't bother, but it's lousy treatment after experiencing this type of illness.

HI,

Just a quick note to say an old friend of mine told me that 99% of DLA claims are turned down flat in the hope of no follow-up by the applicant!

My friends job was as an appeals officer helping people to pursue an appeal and he said if you go down the appeals road a very high percentage are successful??

Hope this is of some help-BIG AL

I've heard the same "turn it down" myth myself, and believed it until I found out how the process works. Yes there is a high success level for appeals, because only those who truely have a case will lodge an appeal. The people who really make the difference are the Drs who write the medical reports, and as we all know you can get "good" and "bad" Drs as far as SAH is concerned. There is the real problem for us, educating the medical community about the long term effects of SAH, both physical and mental. Speak to YOUR GP about DLA and does he/she think that you qualify? If you have memory problems tell them, if you have dizzy spells tell them, if you have residual physical problems tell them. Until they actually know what the real life problems we all have then we won't get the benefits that we are qualified for. SAH covers a huge spectrum all the way from those who go back to work within 6 weeks to those who will never work again, and if you can't return to work then you qualify for help.

Scott

Hi, I'm in the process of the form filling nightmare. Its strange as a Civil Servant I should be able to do them but I seem to suffer from some sort of of 'formophobia'. Bearing this in mind I thought I would find others to help me fill them in - I didn't find the job centre very helpful but the social workers, Headway and a local disability gtoup 'Disability Rights Norfolk' all offered appointments to help fill them in.

We have been told that mum should get the higher level DLA and incapacity benefit. Although.... I have just been told we filled the wrong IB form in.... perhaps the formophobia has an effect if I am just involved with the process? :D

Take care

Hannah

• 8 months later...

Well, watch this space, I've decided to try to claim for DLA and I'm in the process of filling in the form, or book, which is what it should be known as. I didn't realise that I would be eligible for it ..... thought that it would be an earnings related benefit.

I've also printed off the "guidelines" to filling it in ..... all 59 pages of it ...

I'm not sure whether I'm going to be sane by the end of it ...... when it came through the post, I was tempted to throw it into the re-cycling bin, but as I still need a heck of a lot of help on the mobility front, especially when Eric's working away, I thought b****r it, I'm going to apply ......

My concentration is certainly being tested by it and there are plenty of crossings out already ..........

Hello Karen,

don't blame you for applying for DLA, the important thing to remember when filling in the form is to tell them how you are when you are feeling at your worst, otherwise they won't have a clue how badly the SAH has affected you.

I've had years of filling in DLA forms for both John and Matt and with Matt particularly I find it very hard to fill in how he is at his worst but it is definitely the only way.

Hope you get a good result,

Love to you,

Suexx

Hi there

Good for you Karen, yes tell it like it is on your worst days.

I have that joy to come again :? when I tell them I've changed my addretss (It'll be a different office). I only get my benifit & Incopacity, which when Ronnie was signing on they wouldnt increase I only got job seekers allowance wasnt much I still didnt qualify for anything but its always worth a go - you never know till you try :roll: .

Louise.xx

Hi everybody

Been off for awhile. I am in receipt of benefits because I have suffered a stroke, SAH, prostate cancer and arthritis yet they still send me review forms or books which is what they are. I believe the people who look at these forms have no medical qualifications, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

You must get help from somebody like the Citizens Advice Bureau no matter how good you are at filling in forms, they know the words they are looking for. I had to re apply but got there in the end. Just be honest and expect them to send you for a medical examination whether they do or not is up to them, there's nothing to fear if you are honest.

Cheers

John :D

Hey I got sent for one of those medical examination it was in an office the man had a white coat on but doctor I think not :?

I had to laugh though after explaining all to him he then asked me to stand up shut my eyes & lean forward to which my reply was 'you must be jokeing' but I wondered how this man could know what was going on with me without my medical notes anyway the outcome was that I continued to get incopacity benifit.

And please nobody be put off by my description of my experience I found it really all very funny, this stranger asking me to shut my eyes & lean forward & he'd catch me would you trust a stranger? it was funny..... :lol:

Also when filling in your forms get as much info from the hospital photo copy any letters from them the more doctor jargon we found the better & Ronnie only but it in the once with each other question he just had refer to question 6 or see question 12 or see surgon's notes, that was the form that got me the benifit......

As ever hope that all makes sense. :roll:

Louise.xx

Louise.x

Hi Karen Good Luck

I think its Def worth a go.

I would photocopy the form after you are finished, and maybe send it registered post. (even though you get an envelope) Quite often things are lost and if you have a copy it saves rethinking all over again. Copys are good for when you need to reapply.

Finally I prescribe a big glass of wine. These forms are depressing you do change your mindset from being upbeat and positive to how do I feel on my worst days. Explain everything like the person reading the form is a 2 year old. Let them get a feel how you are doing.

Good Luck

Aine xox

I am in receipt of DLA, and have been for a few years now, due to me having a smashed knee and a neurological condition called dystonia ( yes rare like an SAH!)

I remember filling out those forms, and yes do put down everything, I found it very depressing and got in quite a state about it as it somehow meant that I had finally admitted defeat and had to come to terms with being disabled.

A doctor came to visit me and examine me and was very friendly and helpful. A while later I got a big cheque and was given DLA which upset me even more as it meant that it was Official! I am disabled.

Now a few years on, I appreciate the help and am glad that I applied :)

Hi Guys,

I shall let you know how I go and keep this thread going for anybody that may wish to apply for DLA or Disability Living Allowance .....any of you that are looking in, it's not an earnings related benefit or related to your National Insurance contributions..

I'm just taking a break from the DLA form or book, as it's 40 something pages ..... I've just finished eating a packet of chunky crinkle cut crips and also dipped them into a pot of houmous, for a bit of comfort etc! :lol:

Thanks for everybody's advice .....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All.

Last week I filled in the "book" for DLA. Within a day or two I had a response and was seen this afternoon by an independant Doctor. He checked the arm pain I am suffering and thinks there may be muscle wastage there but I need to see my GP for physio etc. I have never had any. He done various tests on my legs and feet because of the tiredness/pain when I have been walking. He also took me for a walk around the block........that I could not believe. Don't think I done too well there as we had walked to his clinic so was already feeling a bit weak but never told him we had walked. Naughty I know but he never asked. :D

I will probably get to know fairly quickly what the outcome is as we are an Island so the workload is substantially less than other places. We generally follow UK guidelines here but quicker............lol

I must say it wasn't altogether unpleasant but I just did not know how I was supposed to act. I tried to be as honest as possible but am not having the best day today so hopefully that will go in my favour.

I will let you all know how things go. Hope they don't turn me down or I will appeal. :lol:

Mollie xxx

Hi Louise. I really couldn't tell him it was a bit far as his clinic is actually 3 streets away and the old hospital is literally at the end of my street so I reckon he would have known................lol. Lucky I am not having such a good day today. :) I did say I was being as honest as possible but.............I did kinda try to exaggerate a couple of bits to help my cause.......... don't know if I pulled it off though. :shock:

Take care

Mollie xxx

Good luck with it Mollie .... I'm still in two minds whether to finish off filling the form .... not sure whether I want to put myself through the hassle.....it's more of a mental thing than anything. I think that I shall wait until the New Year and have a chat with my GP.

Louise is right, you need to answer the questions as you would feel, on one of your bad days....

Karen I dont mean it by put yourself through the hassel, but that's how people dont apply because of just that, I didnt want to apply but we did, now I have the joy in the new year (I havent had time yet) of telling them I've moved that will either work in my favour or against, but just keep trying......

Hope I've explained that the right way but hey you know me :roll:

Louise.xx