headache three years on

hello everyone, I had a subarachnod hemorage three years ago this July. In the past few days Ive started having headaches, they usually hit me for a couple of seconds at a time. At the right side of the back of my head. they are moderatly painful, kind of pinching pain. Its certainly not as painful as a bleed, thank god. I used to get headaches like these in the months after my hemorage, but thankfully they went away and have only returned recently, they are really annoying and seem to becoming more frequent. my neck is also moderatly stiff too. I excercise a lot, so maybe its just somthing to do with that, does anyone know or have any idea what might be causing this, or can tell me any of there experiences. I know its unlikely but part of me fears that its the beginning of something awfull like the lead up to another event. I guess people who have experienced sah in the past will always have that fear of it happening again, thank you for your help, any advice would be great

Hey there

Yes, I still get these - almost like a vice like gripping sensation at the back of my head and it is scary, but I have no rhyme or reason for it unfortunately. I tend to put it down to a mixture of lack of sleep and stress.

Hi there....

If you are in doubt see Doc.....at least it will put your mind at rest......

Good Luck Manus hope your head feels better

and you also Skippy take care !!

Regards

WinB,,,,,you haven't been listening to my singing !!!!!!...that will give you headache

Hi Manus,

I often get pain near the site of the aneurysm, which I wouldn't describe as a headache, but more of a spasm. My aneurysm isn't totally occluded and I have a neck on it, which hasn't been coiled.

I can't remember your SAH history, but if your neck is stiff and what you're feeling is unusual for you, then you need to go and get yourself checked out with the GP as a matter of routine, as it will hopefully ease your anxiety. If you're exercising then it could just be the fact that you're overdoing it and it's a reminder to slow down a little.

The anxiety factor of will it happen again, is still probably with many of us on this site and that one is hard to lose. Make an appointment with your GP and get yourself checked out, it could be just one of those annoying niggly things that many of us suffer post SAH and perhaps hold back with the exercise for a while. xx

Hi there

I'm 5 years post coiling and yes I do get vice like headaches which last seconds and are not severe, sometimes at the rear of my head or above my eyes. I have been going to a "Gentle Exercise"gym recently which I think aggravates them. I have seen my GP who advises me to "pace myself" but doesn't seem to be too worried.

I would go and see my GP for reassurance You are not on your own thinking is something happening I think we all do that.

Cheers

John.

Hi there

Yes, I am four years on from the SAH and I still get severe long lasting headaches once or twice per week on average. At their worst, they can get a bit scary, especially as I live alone ... but they always go by the next day once I finally manage to get a good sleep.

If there is any pattern, it seems to be that the worst headaches come after a period of insufficient sleep ... whereas before the SAH, I'd happily existed for 50+ years on 4-5 hours sleep per night, now I seem to benefit for sleeping longer.

When I had my final 18 month checkup at the neuro clinic, the consultant indicated that it was quite normal to experience severe headaches and just said that "in time you'll eventually find you have more days in the week free of headaches" .... certainly the frequency of the headaches has very gradually declined over the last year or so.

Hope your GP can be of help - mine are fairly useless - normal reaction is "I don't know much about SAH - when's your next appointment at the neuro clinic?" .... then again, these were the GPs who misdiagnosed my aneurysm as an inner ear infection for 4 months before I finally suffered the haemorrhage!! :lol: