Kicked when you're down

Hi all

Had a good day yesterday I was actually out in the garden with my wife cutting up some logs with my chainsaw I managed about 45 mins and felt really good with myself, the handed it over to my wife and sons and went in for a rest feeling good:-D.

Then I got a phone call from the "lady in HR" with the company I work for telling me that on the 11th of February my employment was being terminated, when I asked why it was because in my T&C's it states that if you are absent from work for more than 26 weeks out of 52 weeks then the company can terminate you employment. And without me being able to give them a date that I will be returning to work then that was what they were doing:shocked:. Talk about feeling that like you've been kicked in the teeth when I said that I was told that my job would be there for me when I was ready to return she said they didn't realise that I would take so long to get better,but when I am ready to go back to work that I should give them a call and if there was work available then I could have my old job back:devil:. The trouble is where I live their isn't a lot of choice for work no matter how much I want to tell them to ram their job where the sun don't shine I have to bite my lip,isn't Scottish business so caring? or maybe it's just the one I work for:-D

Ron

Oh Ron,

I am so sorry to hear this and glad I was on here catching up on posts from the last couple of days when you posted it. Ring the neuro psychologist tomorrow and explain what has happened. The one I am seeing has been amazing and helped me to get medical retirement. Obviously not what any of us want to have to take but I am sure the Dr you are seeing will be able to advise & help you get the best outcome possible for your situation.

Your are right to feel to angry & kicked in the teeth - what a rubbish employer! At least I got to be on sick leave for a year before they took action to retire me. Don't let it get you down, ask for advice & help to deal with the situation (the paperwork can be tiring in itself & CAB or psychology should be able to help you with it).

Michelle x

Ah Ron, that's a disgusting way to be treated, it's the last thing you should have thrown upon you whilst recovering from such a serious event. I would suggest you do as Michelle said and perhaps at some point get some advice from ACAS? You don't want/need this - I hope you can get some help to get you through this. Best of luck,

Sarah

Ron, I have just remembered that you posted something about DVLA and your HGV licence - have I got that right? Clearly (as I know only too well, you have no control of when DVLA will return your licence). Can your company employ you on a phased return doing something other than driving (and taking your recovery into consideration) until you are cleared to do so?

Just a thought and I hope it helps

Michelle x

Hi Ron,

I'm so sorry to hear of the way you've been treated, it doesn't seem fair or right. Maybe as Lil Miss Goldfish Girlie says, your employer could find something different for you to do a phased return to work.

I do know how you feel, when I returned to phased return to work after 14 mths off a regional manager asked why was I still even employed by the company. That hurt very much, especially as I've worked for that company on and off for 22yrs now. Wow. That looks a lot when I write it down!! To that question my manager replied to the regional manager that if they 'just got rid of me' they would be breaking various employment laws. I am now nearly 4 mths into my phased return to work, I'll be increasing my hours again next week. I have a year to do my phased return to work and if I can't get back to doing my pre SAH hours by then then I know I never will. I'll deal with that if and when it happens I guess.

As others have said, and I agree, I would get some professional advice on this.

I hope that things work out in the way you want them to and the way you rightly deserve.

Stay strong, you're doing so well.

Big hugs to you dear Ron.

Take care and keep smiling,

SarahLou Xx

Contact ACAS who will give you good advice but sadly I think that the terms of absence written into your contract will tie you up.Go through your contract with a fine toothcomb, there may be a clause in there that protects you. It may not even be legal to put the absence clause in and that is where ACAS comes in. Look on the bright side, it may be a blessing in disguise, as mine was.

Hi Ron

So sorry to hear that, the others have given you very good advice....

but I SO know what you mean & SO know how you are feeling right now as while I was off Ill 3months after the SAH my work decided to restructure my job eg: they no longer had my job....so I do know just how your feeling.....

but do follow the others advice ACAS, get intouch with citizen advice, ect find out.....

take care

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I haven't been on for a while, thank you all for your advice and best wishes but I've been checking and it turns out my employer can terminate my employment after 26wks as I am "medically unfit and cannot carry out my duties" unfortunately they are a haulage contractor and until DVLA make a decision about my HGV licence I'm in limbo. It has taken a few days to get my head round what they have done to me it knocked me for six to be honest but on the mend now. On the upside I now have a date for my six month scan I go for it on 14/2, how long do you normally have to wait to be told the results?, I am having my scan in Inverness and my coiling was done in Edinburgh I think they must send the image down the www so their will be no point in asking them in Inverness.

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron,

Good to hear you are feeling a bit happier again. I had my coiling in Edinburgh too and had to go back there for my last scan which was July 2011. It took about 3 weeks to get the results. I can't remember exactly but I do remember feeling like the wait went on for ages...... My son had a scan at Raigmore in Inverness too and his results were sent via computer (too technical for me!) to the surgeons in Aberdeen so I expect yours will be forwarded to Edinburgh in the same way.

Good luck at your appointment.

Michelle