Stroke Discussion

Karen

I have decided to open up a forum for all stroke sufferers here......like a lot of our members, it was only recently that I realised that a subarachnoid haemorrhage was classified as a stroke. After viewing a lot of other brain injury/stroke websites, I have realised that we suffer very similar problems and that there's a wealth of information that other stroke survivors can offer and will hopefully, kindly share with us.

Guest eyeball

hi karen, i was told i had a stroke that was why i had a brain scan then they found the anyurism cant spell it , when i had a visit to see a surgeon and discuss whether to have a clip or coiling he told me that he thinks the stroke was a small bleed from the brain didnt understand that because if that was the case why did they keep me on waiting list for a year and then it burst it all confuses me . i woke up one morning and one trickle of blood came from my nose then it was double vision coulnt see properly and walked into the hospital like i was drunk they wanted me to stay in but stuburn me went home they said i had a tia . anyway i hope all is well speak to you soon love eye x

• 2 months later...
Guest glen wilson

i suffered my stroke in march 2003 i had 2 have a craniotomy at the queen elizabeth hospital in birmingham for the uneducated that is the removal of a large slice of skull 2 allow the swelling of the brain 2 reduce i suffered left side paralysis i am walking again now with a stick but no use in my arm as yet moral of the sory do not give up. fight it all the way rehab is key anybody living in the greater midlands area birmingham out 2 stoke coventry hereford etc try and get a referall 2 moor green brain injuries unit, moseley hall hospital, moseley birmingham, superb facilities from physio 2 helping you deal with issues such as fatigue, and returning 2 work i went there january this year in a wheelchair by march i was using a stick and i have just recieved my driving licence back valid 3 years, and by end sept will have had cranioplasty tin plate in the hole in my head wife may sleep with me again :lol: i am sure other areas will have similar facilities 2 moor green, good luck and stay positive :) cookie

Glen, One of my friends has had a metal plate put over a "dent" in his skull. He looks like a "new" man and his self confidence has returned a huge amount, he can even be seen walking around without a hat on!

Good luck

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott

I've also had the metal plate to cover the dent in my head, I got an infection after my aneurysm was clipped, 7th December 1999, bone flap removed boxing day 1999, titanium plate fitted in February of 2001.

They've done a great job and fortunately (cos I'm a girl) each time they've operated they've gone in just behind my hairline so there's no visible markings. I can even feel the groove in that side of my temple like on the opposite side.

The worse thing for me was signing the consent form for the plastic surgery, when I had the life saving stuff I was so poorly, my husband had to do all the signing.

My Brain Surgeon does'nt want to see me any more, I was discharged in July of 2004. :P

All The Best

Julie C

Hello Again

When I was sort of coming round I'd been moved to back to my local hospital (which fortunately for my family houses the Regional Rehab Unit). I was'nt feeling too great and Mark was trying to explain what had happened to me, my legs did'nt feel right and I could vaguely remember being in the middle of checking a chicken casserole.

Mark told me I'd had a sub-arachnoid haemorrhage and in my confusion I thought he meant I had spiders running around my brain :? Nobody had told him I'd had a stroke, although he'd been told in the first 48 hours that "if" I survived I'd need round the clock care I'd probably never walk again and would'nt be able to care for myself. Wow!!! I did good.

Anyway, I was taken to have physiotherapy one morning and I was watching someone else, his leg was floppy and it seemed such an effort for him to walk. I asked my Physio if I'd walk like that (If I ever did walk) and she said "oh Julie most people who've had a stroke walk like that". Her comment left me very confused, I was 37 why would stroke apply to me???

When Mark visited me later that day (he came to the hospital every day, except one when Chelsea had an important match) I asked him if I'd had a stroke and he did'nt know. This left us both feeling very vulnerable, me because I'd suddenly gone from 37 to 67 overnight and him because he had been told I'd had a subarachnoid haemorrhage.

Mark managed to see the consultant of the ward I was on at the time (God's waiting room, so depressing) and it was explained to him that I had indeed had a stroke caused by bleeding in my brain rather than a clot. I think I realised pretty soon life would never be the same and that has probably been my lowest point (although I've still managed to keep a brave face to all my friends).

This happened about 8-10 post SAH and I was only getting about two half hours of physio per week and much less OT, but what I did get I made the most of and an OT also visited me in my room (I'd been transferred from another hospital so had a room on my own) and played some card games and showed me how to get dressed and wash (propping myself up on the wall). At that time I was hoisted in and out of the bath (oh how degrading, I hated that so much). In time I was allowed to use the shower on a prop (might have been a perching stool or a commode, I can't remember). I cried the first time I washed my hair myself and managed to do a bit of de-fuzzing.

This sounds miserable, sorry, I'm not a miserable person and I can do the bath now and blow dry (standing up), though it does take me at least twice as long as it did, the satisfaction I get is worth it and Mark always appreciates it when I've blow dried.

Oh dear, I've done it again, I really did'nt mean to go off topic.

Sorry

Julie C

Helen

I also had a slice (as you call it) of skull removed when I had my anuersym clipped, I got an infection. The bone flap was removed on Boxing Day of 1999 three weeks after my anuersym ruptured.

On 11th February 2001 I had cranioplasty (a titanium plate) fitted, its the only cosmetic surgery I'm ever likely to have and fortunately they've done a great job (it was kind of scarey seeing my brain bulging through my skin for a year), the scar is behind my hairline so you'd never know unless you had a feel.

Fortunately for me, my husband was'nt put off sex by the bulging brain, which is just as well since I got the sex-mania post SAH.

Oh by the way, if you fall and bash the new forehead you don't feel a thing, I fell getting out of the jacuzzi in Mexico and had to laugh (although my poor husband heard this big bang and was really worried).

All The Best

Julie C

• 11 months later...
Guest wayne

hi,

i had a stroke of my right temperal lobe, from what i have red and been told from the consultant it happened 2 weeks after the op, viaospasm i think.

bit of a shock though when consultant said it won't recover and its basically dead and least im not left handed, will learn to adapt and live round it. ermmm

basically feel well , and enjoying life

thanks

wayne

Hi Everyone

I did not know that a SAH is a stroke, i was never told , you learn something new everyday :D

I also have a metal titanium plate and screws in the right side of my head, where they went in to clip my ruptured aneurysm, a basilar tip i believe! I am lucky my hair covers most of it and the scar just in front of my ear, looks like a small crease, my surgeon was superb :D

Love Tinaxx