I had a SAH just over a year ago followed by a VP shunt; I'm still on phenytoin at the moment although aiming to come off in a couple of months (all being well), but because of post surgery seizures had to give up my driving licence - can anyone please tell me how long I should leave it before reapplying to the DVLA, are they helpful or not, do they test for short term memory problems (which I have) or are they simply interested in driving ability ? thanks

I sent the DVLA my licence in June after my clipping, I then waited for them to tell me when I could drive based on the info I had given them on the form (can't remember which one it was) so I didn't reapply as such. It took them until the Oct to finally give me the all clear but as my anni hadn't ruptured they did say i could still drive until they decided otherwise. Because of the insurance issue I didn't until the all clear was given.

I would give them a call & explain the situation & see what they say, not sure anyone on here has had exactly the same problem but no doubt someone will be able to help more than I can xxx

Hi Ann, I also got my licence back last week (maybe DVLA were having a Scottish people week last week?!)

Mine was revoked for suspected 'post stroke epilepsy'. As broron says, the medical section of DVLA are very helpful, I found them much more helpful than the regular DVLA department. This is the phone number I was given for them: 0300 790 6806. It might be worth giving them a call to ask about how/when to re-apply for your licence.

Good luck,

Michelle x

its normal for someone who has suffered epilepsy to have their license revoked for a year after the last episode if you do not suffer fits within a year you can ask for the license to be renewed you will need your dr to confirm that you havent had a fit within that year hope this helps

Sorry no advice, but I am still waiting 14 months following my SAH for my license back:-( I have never suffered seizures either:-( It seems my neuro consultant isn't being very forthcoming with information though:-(

Dont get me started with the DVLA! My wife suffered her mini stroke in April 2011, license returned May 2011, 2 lots of eye tests in 12 months, she failed with 4/5 clusters in upper left quadrant - the dvla are useless - 6 weeks to respond to a letter, never meeting deadlines, they are a rule to themselves. My wife still hasnt had her license back even though her eyesight is stable. She is more than capable of driving and I think were going to book an appointment with Swansea soon otherwise I'll be instructing a lawyer to deal with this. Maybe Scotland is different but believe me dont get your hopes up if you are dealing with Swansea....

We are going to ask for DVLA to test me themselves as waiting for my consultant to respond to them is like watching paint dry. It's been 6 weeks and he still hasn't responded to them:-(

As my dad is terminally ill I need to be driving to get up to the hospital to visit him, it is so frustrating:-(

Good luck getting your license back.

Hi Mark - thought this might help you & your wife out re DVLA. Scotland is no different - we have to deal with the same (insert appropriate swear word) people at DVLA Swansea unfortunately. However, they were also messing me around - missing time scales, not responding to complaints & basically taking an unacceptable amount of time to do ANYTHING. So I contacted my MP - they have a parliamentary contact at DVLA - and my licence was returned 4 days later!!

Might be worth a try if you have been given the run around too?

Good luck!

Michelle

Hi Mark - thought this might help you & your wife out re DVLA. Scotland is no different - we have to deal with the same (insert appropriate swear word) people at DVLA Swansea unfortunately. However, they were also messing me around - missing time scales, not responding to complaints & basically taking an unacceptable amount of time to do ANYTHING. So I contacted my MP - they have a parliamentary contact at DVLA - and my licence was returned 4 days later!!

Might be worth a try if you have been given the run around too?

Good luck!

Michelle

Thanks Goldfish - that's what I'll do - appreciate your response.

• 2 weeks later...