Pain

Hi all, it's the panicker here, hope you are all well.

After coming out of hospital following my SAH I started suffering chest pain so dr sent me to a&e where I was x-rayed and bloods taken checking for a blood clot and was told it was clear and it was muscular. The pain then went through to the top of my back, shoulder and breathing, moving really hurt my back and chest so went to my own gp again who also said he thinks it's muscular. This has been going on for a few weeks now and the pain is terrible, it eased from my chest but stayed in my back but have got up this morning and my chest is really painful again and down my arm. Did anybody suffer anything similar in the early days after their SAH?

Also feeling really dizzy today, it seemed to ease a little the last couple of days and now it's back with a vengeance :frown: xx

I do not know if it is the same, but I had a stabbing pain in my shoulder it started at front and hurt by my bladebone.

It was hurting me so I put smelly oils on where pain was.

It went after a few weeks and I do not like smelly oils now..lol

Hope it clears up if not always see Doc

WinB143

Thanks for your reply.

It's hard to describe the pain but it's really bad and it's there all the time but worse if I move and when I take a deep breath. Just confused how it eased in my chest but has come back so strongly if it is muscular. My GP has been lovely and because he knows how anxious and scared I am since the SAH he has been seeing me twice a week to check how I am. He does know about it and thinks it's a muscular thing because I lost a lot of weight in hospital (dont know what that has to do with it).

Im seeing Consultant next week so will ask him about it along with a million other things to try and ease my mind a little. I cant imagine myself ever living a normal life without being filled with fear. It's just so awful xx

In the beginnig I had list everywhere I walked around with post it notes and scraps of paper like Mr Green Jeans. Most said the same things!

Other than what you are already worried about ............I get a chest muscle pain. I read this article about how to stretch out that muscle. I am not giving medical advice here!! But willl attach the article for once you are all clear.

http://www.fmnetnews.com/free-articles/article-samples/easing-chest-pain

I have fibro but for years I was afraid I was having a heart attack until I had a stress test & saythis article. I think it could apply to most people.

Good Luck, mary

I had terrible chest pains after I got out of hospital. It really worried me as I thought I was exchanging brain problems for heart problems. It would fill my chest and my back and go down my arms. This is going to sound strange, but bear with me...I discovered quite by accident that it was trapped wind. I had started drinking 2 litres of water per day when I got home and to be sure how much I was drinking, I bought a 2 litre bottle and drank from it. One day, being sick of plain old water I made myself a pint of ribena, in a pint glass. I enjoyed it so much, I drank ribena for the rest of my fluid intake for that day, all from pint glasses. The next day, no chest pains and my arms were fine. I haven't drank from a bottle since!

I'm not saying that this is the answer, but it's worth considering.

Dawn x

It was explained to me that the stomach and shoulder share a nerve, apparently One can trigger the other off, I get this shoulder pain infrequently with my shunt tubing and it's horrible. I alternate hot and cold packs for relief and take a strong pain killer.

Also massage like Win suggests works nicely. Definitely keep talking to your GP . :-D

Hello

sorry to hear you are suffering, it's the last thing you need after a SAH. I seem to recall having chest pain after I left hospital after my SAH, it was definitely muscular, it hurt when I breathed in deeply and moved, and it sorted itself out after a week or two.

Have they done an ECG (a recording of the activity of your heart), I'm not saying you need one, but just to reassure you? It sounds muscular from what you are describing. Make sure that the pain doesn't encourage you to breathe in a shallow manner, this makes things worse. Make sure that you periodically take a few deep breaths, this will restore proper movement to your chest wall, reduce your anxiety and get the muscles moving properly around your chest and torso. Never underestimate the weird pains and aches you can get after a spell in hospital, it is common, through lack of activity, anxiety, lack of nutrition (hospital food where I was a patient was inedible!) etc.

It will get better.

best wishes

Vanessa

x

Isn't it funny how everyone wants to make our pain into something that seems 'Normal' to the average Joe...Muscles. I have experienced the exact type of pain you're talking about and I really do believe that it comes form the damaged nerves and as they recover, they go through this warming up process. I've had pain in my big toe, calve, stomach, neck, all the way down my left arm to the point where I was 'Sure' I had thoracic outlet syndrome, etc. The pains have all eventually either gone completely or they come and go as I get fatigued. My SAH was near the Pons where there are a lot of sensory nerves so it only makes sense that I might have a lot of sensory issues including referred pains (pain that originates from other places, but is felt in another). My brain still mixes signals, but I have become aware of this and can usually pin point the actual location as I focus...however, it doesn't make it felt any differently.

I'm sorry for anyone who feels this type of pain, it can be really strange.

~Kris

I forgot to mention about the dizziness. I had it so bad + vertigo + double vision + fatigue. I have the feelings only slightly now and I've been finding that if my nose is stuffy, that will exacerbates it. Also, moving from one activity to another takes me about 5min to reorient myself and so I might get slightly dizzy for that time.

I hope this will ease up for you too.

~Kris

Thank you all so much for your replies, I really appreciate it.

Got up this morning and it's mainly my neck and back/lung again, Im so sick of this pain. I dont see the point in going to gp again as I am just told it's muscular. I've noticed that my headaches are getting worse lately too, all this isnt good for my nerves lol. I suppose sitting worrying about it will make it feel worse but it's hard not to, I think everything is a sign that something bad is going to happen, I will be so glad when these fears go, they are ruling me at the moment. Every sharp pain I get in head or eye a feeling of terror takes over me, I hate it so much :frown: