Getting upset and wobbly legs

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else gets much more wobbly on their legs if they get upset/ emotional? I thought I was getting more steady on my legs and getting 'stuck' (where I just can't make my legs move) less often, but tonight after a review with my GP where I got upset, I found it really hard to walk and my legs felt like they were giving way beneath me. I got home with help, but maybe I'm not recovering as quick as I thought? Its embarrassing because I look like I'm drunk and can see people looking.

I also seem to get a strong smell of burning when I'm stressed. Any thoughts/ advice? Maybe its just in my mind (I was going to say 'head' then realised it IS all in my head!!)

Julie

Hi Julie,

I walk like the character in my avatar an old bent over woman, but I do not care.

I was told I'd never walk again, but I can walk 60 yards plus, okay not a lot but my aim is to walk round shops.

I have had weird looks also I just say to them "look the hospital said I would never walk"

They look and say you show em girl

So you show em also Julie and if you sit a lot do leg movements.

Now Be Well and smile

WinB143 xx xx

Thanks Win, you're right! I've spent the last month being told it's surprising I survived, so I need to get this in perspective. It's just so weird to be able to move one minute, and then not the next. I think I'm feeling a bit angry because I just want to shout at people because they can't see what is wrong. I'm able to joke about with the family, but it's a bit scary outdoors!

The first time I went out in wheelchair some woman said "Bl**dy Wheelchairs " I was so angry at her grrrr.

I wanted to punch her but instead I gave her a filthy look in the next 3 aisles lol.

You are above them so as long as you are okay blow what they think, now sing and be happy xx

Love

WinB143 xx

Hi Julie,

I am 18 months into my recovery and have frequently experienced the wobbly legs feeling. For me it seems to surface when my brain is suffering from fatigue brought on by emotional or physical events.

It is an improving picture, but if I have had a particularly difficult day then it can feel as though my legs are stuck in concrete and I find walking really hard going.

Others don't understand, but ignore them. This is your life and every small step you take is an incredible achievement.

During these really difficult times I often recall a story that my son's girlfriend shared with me around 5+ years ago.

My son was driving her through our local village in his 2 seater sports car. They could see in the distance a man stood at a bus stop apparently very drunk waving a walking stick at passing traffic. All the cars continued past, ignoring this man, presumably assuming he was drunk and not wanting to get involved.

My son however felt the man was in some kind of trouble so pulled up, and from the safety of the car asked what was wrong. The man was slurring his voice but managed to explain that he needed to get to the doctor's surgery for his repeat prescription. His carer had failed to complete this task for him.

My son immediately asked his girlfriend if she would wait at the bus stop whilst he took this man to the surgery. My son took him to the surgery, then to the pharmacy and delivered him back to the bus stop. The man was seemingly very emotional and cried at the kindness that the stranger (my son) had shown him.

To this day my son has never spoken about the event to me, but needless to say I am very proud of him. The moral in this story?

Whilst many will turn the other cheek or even look down at us out of ignorance, there are some kind, caring, good samaritans out there who will show us compassion. They just don't come along very often.

Hold your head up high, they should feel embarassment, not you.

Take care,

Wem

Thanks for the support guys!

Win, its strange but when I get stuck singing or music get me going again. Perhaps I should do it in public and care less what people think!!

Wem, your message made me cry (add emotional to the list!). It reminded me of a lady I met in hospital with very severe health problems and in lots of pain. She was in the next bed to mine and realised I was really scared one day when I was having some treatment, so she wheeled herself over to my bed and stuck her hand through the curtain to hold mine. I will never forget her kindness.

You are both right though, I will be proud of how far I have come and just build in some safety measures in case I get stuck when out and about.

Julie x

Julie you will be proud of how far you've come when you look back in 6months then 6months after that and so on, sometimes it's like were not improving but sometimes you cant see it...

I have wobblie legs again I fell in May and that's knocked my confidence but getting back up now.

I tend to look people straight on and say I had a Brain Haemorrhage they're usually taken aback then your able to explain what's worrying you, but don't let people get you down its their ignorance in staring..

hi Julie

having read your post do you get the smell every time you get stressed? if so I think you should see your GP I think it maybe an aura and should be investigated by a hospital neurologist I don't want to panic you but please get checked out please and asked to be referred or if your still under the hospital call the secretary hugs and cuddles sweetheart

Thanks Paul, I'm due to see the neurosurgery team on 9th September, so maybe I could ask them then? I get the smell if I am tired or stressed. My whole sense of smell has changed, but this is a particular smell that happens before my legs go 'thunderbirds' on me.

Wem, what a nice story to share.

Julie,

I had leg issues like you wouldn't believe. When I practiced my cello or after doing a jigsaw puzzle for example really threw my legs into weakness. My emotional state, like you also affects everything regarding my physical body. However...just about 2weeks before my 2year anniversary, my legs are now feeling pre-SAH most of the time! I can walk any amount of time and still NORMAL. My hips are another matter, though :)

A year ago, I couldn't even imagine normal feeling legs. It gives me hope that my back and hips will also feel better as more time passes. The brain takes so long to heal and there is nothing to do but wait, hope, and rejoice for the healing it does.

Just an aside, I am avoiding cello this AM before a yoga class or I would notice a big drop in stamina there if I did.

Hope you can find new ways to cope while you heal too.

~Kris

• 4 weeks later...

I'm crying reading this because I AM SO HAPPY to have found this forum! YES and YES! I walk so funny and cry at the drop of a hat! I also have uncontrollable rage as well! I've had many MRI's to help figure out the walking thing but they just keep saying every brain is different so this maybe my permanent affect...... weakness/spasms in my left leg. But honestly, both my legs feel as though someone poured cement in them. It's just a heavy feeling when I try to move them.

Susan,

I was told I'd never walk again and my hubby should put me in a home (Physio's said this as I played them up).

Who me ?

I can walk approx. 100 yards and then back hurts real bad but my aim is to go shopping again with hubby.

Never give up as the good days outweigh the bad eventually.

Keep going Susan.

Love

WinB143 xx