Weird Sensation

On Monday night whilst on holiday I experienced a really weird feeling in my head.

It felt as if the blood all rushed up into my head and although not painful I felt as if I was going to black-out. The after effects left me feeling hot/cold at the same time and slightly nauseauos.

Morris took me to the local A & E who gave me an ECG took blood and monitored me for a few hours but then let me go. Obviously it frightened us but it hasn't re-occured since.

I will be going to my own Doctors Monday to discuss it but just wondered if anyone else has had anything similar post SAH.

Janet

Hi Blondie I actually wasnt doing anything I was watching T.V at the time.

Like you since my SAH I get all sorts of weird sensations but this one was completely different and I felt unwell for a couple of hours after, which was why Morris made me go to hospital.

Janet

I get things like that sometimes - I think it's only natural to be frightened.

My Neuro Consultant has always suggested that I'm bound to feel twinges and aches and pains after what my body has experienced - doesn't stop me being anxious though! It's always best to check things out, even if it does mean your GP has to get a big book out (that's what mine always does).

Good luck tomorrow, Janet.

Blondie x

When I'm really tired I get weird sensations in my neck and coxis I do often think I'm still having mini bleeds, (no basis for that) just being anxious. The Docs are probably right but I think its always good to listen to your own body and get these things checked out for peace of mind.

Good luck 2morrow

Aine xox

Hi Janet,

My two main pains in the head or weird sensations are...... pressure build up, especially in the car, so have to keep trying to pop my ears.....yawning or swallowing seems to help, but it's pretty uncomfortable. The other one is a pulsing/squeezing/heartbeat sensation in the back of my head.....mainly happens when I'm overtired or stressed.

Hope that you're feeling better ..... it's a good idea to go to A & E if it's something that you've never had.......much better to get yourself checked out, rather than staying at home and worrying.

If in doubt, then anybody reading these posts should see their GP or go straight to A & E......it's not worth taking any risks.

Janet, forgot to say, that in August last year, I ended up in hospital again....I felt lousy, bad head, nauseous and faint....I was kept in for a couple of days to be monitored.....they didn't find the cause, but I felt quite rough and fatigued for the next 3 weeks. Almost felt the same as I did a few weeks after the SAH.....but, better to be safe than sorry.

I would so the same again, if I felt that bad.......think that you know, when someting isn't right.

Hi Karen I did get checked out right away but because it was different to any other sensations will be discussing it with my G.P.

Like yourself I suffer from build up of pressure and have numbeness and tingles around my scar sight also. I try holding my nose and blowing to get rid of the pressure, it works sometimes.

Janet

Hi Janet,

You did the right thing ...... think that you know when things don't feel right ..... sometimes it makes me wonder whether there is a build of pressure in the head? I also get a lot of dizziness ..... but would definetly go to A & E if the same thing happened to me again ....

Hope that you get some joy from the Docs ..... The hospital MRI'd me again, when it happened (well, about a week later)......but they didn't find anything.....it was very strange and very unsettling, so I know how you're feeling. My anni hasn't been totally occluded by the coils, so I'm presuming that a re-bleed could well be possible from the anni neck. Like I said, I would definetly do the same again if I felt the same.....I definetly didn't feel at all well....... think that you have to trust your instincts.

Hi,

Even four years in I get scared by some of the strange sensations I experience now! People can tell me tell their blue in the face that I'm bound to have aches and pains and "stuff" but they're not in my head when I get them. I can go for weeks now and feel OK but as I've said elsewhere it all hits me in the face and I can't even continue my version of a "normal" life for days/weeks.

Scott

I feel nauseous with a headache/stiff neck quite often - I'm only a few months off 3 years, and I must admit I previously thought I wouldn't still feel this way by now. Nowadays I'm more accepting of it, but I still feel just as anxious. Not just that, but it's frustrating too.

Karen's right - you have to trust your instincts.

Hey Janet

I had a very similar experience in September last year - about 4 weeks after my SAH. I've made an amazing recovery and was feeling fine and planning on going to a friend's wedding. I was in the car going home with Paul and all of a sudden I felt very dizzy and my eyes were swimming. I felt sick and just wanted to lay down. Paul took me straight home and made me lay on the sofa - even then the room was spinning. I think it had a lot to do with blood pressure. I didn't go the hospital as a couple of hours later and a sleep I felt much better. But like everyone else has said - you were right to go get it checked out.

Sami xxx

It seems we all have had similar sensations during our recovery, I had the same one evening, weird pressure build up and dizziness, and then anxiety kicks in and makes it twice as bad! I was also just relaxing and watching the TV.

Like Karen and the others have said if you're not feeling right get it checked out, good luck at the docs today

Vic x

Hi Janet

I had weird sensations in my head for about 6 months after SAH after which they stopped and I considered myself to be fully recovered. How wrong I was! I'm now over 10 months on and in the last few days the weird feelings and twinges have returned along with fatigue that I haven't experienced for several months. I put it down to over doing it, as I've been working some long hours these last couple of weeks.

Prior to my SAH, working long hours would make me a bit tired, but that was all. Now, I'm finding it harder to recover from the fatigue. A legacy of SAH? or just me getting older? I would suspect a bit of both, but mostly the first one.

Anyway, I can't go home yet .... too much to do!

Regards

Keith

Hi All

I too get weird, spaced out sensations, as though I'm on a different planet from everyone else and sometimes feel, like Aine, that I'm having a mini-bleed. No two days are the same; sometimes I almost forget I've had SAH but then it comes back to bite me on the bum with different symptoms!

I'm just over 9 months on from mine and am just beginning to face up to the fact that I'm very, very different from how I was before and won't get back to pre-SAH. C'est la SAH-vie....

Sarah x

I think that the majority of us all have to learn that we will NOT be the same as we were before SAH. The medical proffesionals have got to learn to tell us that when they speak about "full recovery" most of us feel that we haven't made anywhere near that.

Scott

Hi,

Scott, I'm no where near to how I was pre-SAH..... but not sure whether knowing that life was going to be such a bummer just after the haemorrhage, would have actually done anything for me mentally.....but may be 6 months down the line, I could have done with the truth and would have been forced to come to terms with it. It's a hard one, as to decide whether you should be told or whether the medics actually know themselves......may be, they should join this website? :)

The upside is, that at nearly 2 years in, I'm still improving .... very slowly... more at a snails pace, rather than a marathon runner.... :wink:

Sorry didn't mean to sound down about it, but I was told that it would take 18 months or so to make a full recovery. Further than that down the line I'm still not anywhere near making what I would term as a "full" recovery. I'm not down or depressed about that, but I would of liked to of known that I wasn't unusual in that regard. What this site has done is made me feel better about myself as I know that what I feel every day is not unusual! Another small thing is that you report making small gains all the time, which mirrors my own experience. I was also told that "all the recovery is done in the first year post SAH" which as we all know is not the case.

We suffer from info overload a lot of the time, and if you're anything like me it doesn't all sink in. Which makes it the more important to make sure all the information we're given is true. I also am aware that all of us who have had "coiling" are medical guinea pigs! All the more reason for the medical community to get our feedback on our recovery!!! There are very few sites around that get anywhere near the level of this particular one which makes it a VERY important resourse post SAH which ALL patients and their families should be made aware of.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

No need to apologise ... I know where you're coming from .... and it's something that I've thought about a lot ..... if I knew in the early stages of recovery that I would still be recovering at nearly 2 years post SAH and nothing like back to normal, would I have felt better or not, or would a negative answer have held back my recovery....it's a real minefield.....but would love to have an honest answer now.....I could take it.....but just haven't been given the opportunity to ask it.... really think that we need to have more follow up care and be given the time to ask the questions that we are now capable of.

I also know what you mean about the coiling......we are guinea pigs to a certain extent.......knowing that I have a neck left on my aneurysm, doesn't help....which you can see in the photo album......again I was told that this was because the coils had "settled".....but that isn't the case, as the angio pic was taken just after the op......they obviously couldn't totally occlude it ... just wish that somebody had told me the correct facts. I must admit though, not trying to sound morbid, but I'm sort of getting used to the fact that I have to take each day as it comes ...

However, the comfort that I get, from talking to you guys, cannot be measured...... :)

I dont think anyone could tell us at day 1, or at six months, what to expect. It's so unpredictable, for each and every one of us. A girl who I was in hospital with can barely remember that period of her life, it's had so little impact on her. At the same time a man who got rushed in at the same times as me needs a lot of care still. I too don't mean to sound morbid, and it would be great to know at the start what to expect - I just don't think it's possible.

A lot of the nurses did start to plant the seeds in my mind, and I think my then boyf had read enough to know that permanent change was likely. I read something called Poem from your Brain when I first came out of hospital - it made me cry a lot, as it is quite emotional, but it too hinted at the fact that things are changed for good. Has anyone else read it?

Even so, I'm still realising, every so often, that I'm not going to be the person I once was - and I think it doesn't matter how many times you hear that - you have to accept it in your own time.

I hope that's come across ok - it's far too late at night for me to be thinking that hard, but I got drawn in!

Best wishes, Blondie x