Therapists

Guest kaj

I do want to say that the doctors who did my mom's coiling were amazing and I will never be able to thank them enough. The nurses were also compassionate, caring and informative. I am just having problems with the doctors and some of the therapists at these rehab facilities. Another bad day. The speech therapist who has not even known my mom for a week told my father today that she has been doing this for 18 years. She told him that patients like my mom peak at 3 months. She also said that they may improve over another year or so but it is so minimal that you won't even notice it. I am so ****** off right now. How dare she say that!!!!! My father is a very negative kind of guy and of course he took her word for word and believes that she MUST know what she is talking about. I am going to have a word with her. How dare she be so negative. This weekend will be three months and I know my father will think that this is it for her. I want to give the woman a piece of my mind.

Kim

Hey Kim

That is so unprofessional of that woman. It doesn't matter how long she's been doing the job, everyone is different and everyone will recover at their own rate. I was never given any rates of improvement or expectations - if some were to believe all they've been told half of them would have been written off and look at them now. Maybe you should get your Dad to have a peek at this website and read some of the stories. It will help him be a bit more positive regarding your mum's recovery.

Good luck with everything and make sure you tell that woman what a negative outlook she has now given your family.

Take care

Sami xxx

Hi Kim,

I'm now 2 years and 2 months on ..... I've made a slow, but sure recovery....like a snail......but it's still happening.....I really don't think that enough research has been done on post SAH recovery.....therefore, the professionals can only "quote" from what they've been told or read. I certainly didn't peak at 3 months .... or 6 months ....

Keep the faith ..... If I was you, I would keep a diary on your Mum's progress and would note even the smallest of changes in her responses or actions when you visit...... don't give up and even if they make you feel mad, try to turn it around if you can. At least you will know that you've done everything that you can....

Thinking of you....

I have kept a journal. I was very good in the beginning but have not kept up with it as much. I need to get back to it. I can only see her on the weekends now which is really hard. I don't believe a word they say but my father takes in every negative thing they say. That is what is scary. I try to convince him otherwise but he thinks that I am too positive and not being realisitic. I will keep trying with him and speak to the "professionals" who can't seem to keep things on the positive side.

Thanks for your support.

Kim

Wow 'peak at 3 months!!'

At 3 months Heather told one of the OTs that she was a dog called Sally and her Aunty was married to Kurt Cobain!!

At 6 months Heather sat down and told me that it would be a 'good idea' if she became a prostitute. She could earn lots of money and have sex with lots of men at the same time, thus killing 2 birds with one stone. She said it would be ok as she wouldn't feel emotional at all.

Ask her about that now and she remembers with horror the things she said and did back then. Heather cannot believe the things she has said and done since her SAH. Its only now 2 years and 3 months past her 'peak recovery' time that she can look back and see this. Is this not recovery?

2.5 years on and like I said before, her recovery goes on and on.

Wishing you and your mum all the best.

Andy

thanks Andy, I needed that. I know it is ridiculous now that I have calmed down. I just wish my dad didn't believe it. He is preparing for the worst. He thinks he needs to move far away where nursing homes are cheaper. He just can't seem to look at the fact that she is making improvements. The last three days, she told him that she thought she had to go to the bathroom. Hurray!!!!! I thought that was a great sign. so I will keep trying to talk him out of the way some of these people think. Nice to hear from you. I saw your interview and am amazed at how well your wife is doing. I wish your family the best.

Kim

Hi Scott.

Thanks for the welcome back!! Although, really, I have never been away. I just come by and read usually. Like a voyeur!! lol. At the moment I am pretty caught up in the day to day life at home and as such I feel like I don't have much to contribute. So I read and keep up with whats going on.

Hi Kim.

I am glad that my words can be of some help. Like I said above, I do come by and I try to keep up with whats going on as much as possible. If you ever need a chat or anything I am never far from a computer!!

Anyway, time to get my boy to bed.

Take care all.

Andy

Kim - can only second what the others have said, and share your sense of outrage at the OTs casual, and careless, and inaccurate observations. It is great that your mum has you to be there for her and to give voice on your concerns for her care. All the best, Joanxx

Well for some reason the therapists really like to be negative with my dad. the physical therapist said that he will not be able to accomplish our goal of her walking in a walker. It is very interesting, considering my dad and I had her walking in one this weekend with lots of help. But, it doesn't matter because she did it. We have a consultation with them tommorrow. We might be moving her to a more positive place. We have enough down days, we don't need to have professionals contribute to them anymore. thanks for all your support. HOpefully tommorrow will be a better day.

Kim

I hope you achieve the outcome you want for your mom, and know that you have the support of everyone on this forum. Having a positive attitude and atmosphere makes the world of difference and you are doing your level best to achieve that for her. Joanxx

Well here we go again. We had a meeting with the OT and PT and case worker. The case worker was condescending to us. the OT and PT after working 7 whole days with her stated that she is not making any improvements and they want her to leave a week from Friday. I am so disgusted with this place right now. We made a call to another sub-acute facitily that will actually give her a chance. The last place (acute facility) said she made great strides and this place said she isn't really making any. The OT kept stating statistics to us about how stroke paitients peek at 3 months and little improvement is made after that. She is such a B*****. She refused to listen to us and is determined to not try with her. She also said my mom doesn't follow commands at all. She said she wouldn't touch her nose when asked. I then went upstairs and asked her to touch her noise and she did it. Imagine that. I know working with my mom requires a lot of patience but that is their job. She does not want to work with my mom and has really tainted everyone. I want her out of there. I hope the other place takes her. If not we are hiring a live in caretaker and see how that goes.

Kim

What a depressing and distressing experience. You are right to want her out of there, because someone with such negative sentiments is going to do whatever to sabotage her recovery. I hope you manage to get her into the other facility pronto. Sending you lots of support. Joanxx

Hi there

Just thought Id say that they thought I would be 80% disabled & 20% able, I worked very hard on it & have turned those figures around & I'd say I'm less than 20% disabled, I had to learn everything again in the re-hab hospital.

But I'd say that you cant put a time scale on it 3 months is not nearly enough.

Hope things are improving it takes a long, long time for the brain to heal believe me......

Take care

Louise.x

Good luck Kim, you can see from the stories here, that the professionals aren't always right ..... I'm nearly 2 years and 2 months into recovery and I believe that I'm still healing and have probably accomplished more in my 2nd year, than my first .....

We are working on getting her moved as soon as possible. We just hope the other place takes her. Otherwise we are on our own. We will at least have patience with her!!!

Kim

Well today I asked them to do a xray on my mom because she is complaining of some pain on her side. When they took her to the bathroom my dad found her on the floor with four of the CNA's and nurses. They claim that she did not fall. When we asked for an incident report, the nurse manager did not have one because it wasn't needed. Then she says, perhaps you and your father hurt her when you put her to bed. I couldn't believe they had the nerve to blame us. I can't wait to get her out of there. Once she is gone I am going to file every complaint that I possibly can. They have no right to treat people like that. She also told my sister that my mom clearly cannot follow commands when we ask her to grab the grab bar on the toilet. Can you believe they are using her disability against her. It is appalling. My mom has her follow up with the neurologist on October 8th. I am very nervous. I hope everything is going to be ok. I am also hoping that the neurologist does not give us a grim picture. His word I trust and noone elses that I have met thus far.

Kim

Hi

I have just been talking to my husband Ronnie about what the thearipist said to your Dad, he says:

"There is no text book on Brain Haemorrhages & strokes recovery rates that set time tables on the recovery, it is not like a broken leg that will heal in 3 months the brain is too complicated for this it will heal as quick as it can or as slow as the body will allow it, with the damage that has been inflicted on it.

Give it time and see the difference .

Ronnie

I am also appalled. She will most likely come home on October 6th. My dad does not want to try anymore facilities. He just wants her to come home and hire a caregiver. this way we know what is happening with her. I want to tell all of you that your stories give me inspiration and hope for my mom. Thanks so much. I need the kind words and support.

God bless all of you,

Kim

Hi Kim,

Sounds as though you're doing the right thing ..... I must admit, that I hated being in hospital (there's not much peace) and away from the family home..... I certainly perked up when I knew that I was going home, I felt much happier in myself .... hopefully, you might be able to access some additional help for your Mum? Don't give up on her .....

Just an update, the physical therapist, (he has been fine with us) said that she has improved and is going to let her stay the next two weeks. At lunch, the speech therapist with the OT,who believes that annie patients peek at 3 months, asked my mom what she was eating. My mom said fish. Then she asked her what kind of fish and my mom said Salmon. My father was there and said that the speech therapist practically fell off her chair. Way to go mom!!!! In your face with your negativity!! Couldn't have happened at a better time. I know it doesn't mean that tommorrow will be great but she got them back. Ha. The best part is the occupational therapist wasn't there today and has no idea that my mom will be staying longer. The "poor" OT is still going to have to work with my mom and have to work for her money. I feel so sorry for her.

Karen, we are starting to do some interviews next week. We are also getting the house ready for a live in caretaker. Hopefully we will only need one for a few months and not forever. I am crossing my fingers.

Thank for your story, it really helps.

Kim

Hi Kim, I've been reading your thread and have felt more and more shocked by your experiences.

I can only echo what the others here have said - no one has a schedule for SAH survivors and their recovery. I am nearly 3 years post SAH, and I see improvements still.

I cheered for your mum when I read about the salmon - what brilliant timing to be having a "good" moment. You sound like you are really supportive, and very brave. Good luck with everything, don't forget to look after yourself in all of this as well.

Take good care, lots of love, Blondie x

Guest michael's girl

Good Luck Kim......

I Dont think she knows what shes talking about, I have been told that everyones progress is differnet.

A good friend has spoken to here sister after Michael's SAH only to find out a work mates husband had one also and with his he had been in a coma for 3 months so how can she judge. And if you look at Michael well we are aproching our (his) 12th week and hes only just going into rehab, I say ours, as from the very begining I have told him and feel this is our challenge and we will get through this together, he doesnt do anythin on his own, Im not saying I will do all the things for him but I will support and encourage him to do it on his own.And most important I will encorage him to take one day at a time and also keep telling myself to do this. I think its very normal for someone close to get a person to do more then therapist, I saw this with my dad who had a 2 massive strokes and now with Michael (SAH)

POSSITIVITY AND A DAY AT A TIME IS A GOOD RULE!!!!!!!!

TAKE CARE AND B PATIENT :lol::roll: