neurologist appt.

Guest kaj

Well, my mom will be five months from the SAH on Friday. We saw the neurologitst for the first time since the ICU hospital stay. He gave us some good suggestions that we are going to start. He told us that she cannot do two step or multistep tasks. We haven't really been working on that so we are going to start. He said that this will improve her ability to go to the bathroom. Going to the bathroom is a multi-step task, I guess I really never thought about it. Anyways, the best news is her recovery. He said that she has come far in her recovery and there is a lot of hope. He also said that if she continues to improve until June(1year) the sky is the limit in her recovery. However, if she stops progressing by June, then this will probably be her peak recovery. I am hoping for the constant progression. She is having a MRI/MRA and CAT Angio to see if there is any permanent damage. I hope this comes out ok too. Well, for those of you who have been following my mom's progress, I thought I would let you know how she is doing. I want to let you know that without this board I think I would have gone crazy. I appreciate all the advice and survivor stories. I am usually kind of down on the site and don't mean to be but thought I would share a good day. WE HAVE HOPE!!! That is all I can ask for.

God Bless you all,

Thanks,

Kim

Hey Kim

Oh that is good news about your Mum bet you’re pleased.

I couldn’t do multitask things either for a long time, I have found though that the peak as they tend to call is isn’t all that right although I guess they like to use the term, but I found for me that I peaked at around the 3 year mark but even then there has still been improvements for me.

I hope your Mum continues to improve keep working at it though its a continual thing, but take care of yourself it takes a lot out of you, I know I watched my husband doing it & at the time there wasn’t a thing I could do to help.....

Thank-you for sharing your news.

Take care

Louise.x

Hey Kim

That's fantastic news. And I second the don't take the one year mark as given. I'm 15 months in am still progressing in my recovery - my memory is slowly getting better, my headaches are fewer and the tiredness is slowly disappearing. Everyone recovers at their own rate and so will your mum. She's proved them wrong before and no doubt she will again - she sounds like a strong and determined woman.

I'm glad that this site has been of help to you - it makes it all worth while being a member when we see someone helped.

Take care

Sami xxx

Hi Kim

Great to hear about your Mum, I'm with the other's I think recovery is really a continuous thing whilst it can be slow its great to look back on the improvements. Hang in there and take care I'm sure there's much more in the plan.

Love and Hugs

Aine x

I was just wondering. Did anyone have any problems with their blood pressure dropping dramatically? It happens to my mom from time to time. My friend, a doctor, seems to think it is from the brain or dehydration. Last time it happened she was hospitalized and they could find nothing wrong with her. Thanks for your words of encouragement again. I am hoping for a good summer this year with a much better mom. I hope!! :D

Hi Guys. Now then I didn't know that raised blood pressure was an after effect of SAH. (pretty obvious though when you think about it ) No-one told me this happenend. Mine has been through the roof but was always normal before. When I went to see Neuro the other week she told me just to keep an eye on it..........but no mention of it being raised after SAH. Thought she was just doing normal obs. It's impossible to do your own BP with conventional Sphig and stethescope, so I bought an electronic one and all it does is stop the flow of blood and gives a different reading every time. :roll: so thats been discarded

Now I am going to start just going to the chemist to have it done. Some of them have these testing facilities for BP, Diabetes etc.

While I was in hospital my BP did drop dramatically on several occasions they gave me some sort of treatment for it but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I also had to drink gallons and gallons of water. So maybe it was some sort of dehydration. Unfortunately that's all I remember about it. Sorry I can't be of much help

Mollie xxx

Hi all,

I went for my check up today with the neurosurgen, he seemed pleased with my progess apart from the weakness and numbness I have on my right hand side, he tells me I could also have had a stroke, but will not know untill I go for a scan in March, anyone else had this experience.

It was as thought he had never come across this before!!!

Me being me did not further this and just thought well if that is the case then so be it, would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Regards

Aly

I had a small stroke (Ischemic) whilst being coiled which left me with a right sided weakness. Also it left me with a constant pain in my right hip which I'm now told is purely neuropathic. Telling the difference between symptons and aftereffects and which "event" they are related to is a fun game to play! Still shouldn't grumble too much as after all I am here to grumble......

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott - Rince, lol

Have the symptons affected your ability to work at all, Although my op was only 8 weeks ago I sometimes wonder if I will ever get back to work again, hope you dont mind me asking.

Regards

Aly

Not at all, I do voluntary work. For a few hours a day but have not as yet been able to return to work. I am in the minority tho, I have more "issues" than most. I have accepted my own limitations but even four years on I am making progress and do hope to return to paid employment.

Scott

Hiya,

The SAH and damage that our brain has received is unique to each and every one of us.

At 2.6 years post SAH, I haven't been able to return to work ..... I've got too much physical stuff that impedes me ..... mainly eyesight problems/dizziness.

However, I think that I now realise that if/when the day comes that I can return to work, I'll make a conscious choice, to do something that has a lot less stress. All of my jobs (after having kids) have been stressful and I definetly wouldn't want to go down that road again....