Family Medical History and passing this on to our children

I really feel that it is important for each of us, to pass on our medical history, to our children ...especially our girls, where childbirth seems to put a huge amount of stress on our bodies.

It's only been in the last year, that I discovered that my Grandfather died from a Cerebral Haemorrhage (probably due to an aneurysm) and that my Mum has an Aortic aneurysm (untreated). My Husband's Mother, also had a brain aneurysm coiled, before it ruptured, but, unfortunately died of a brain tumour. That means, that aneurysms feature on both sides of the family...

After listening today, at our local news, then I despair .... But, what a waste of life ..... when, perhaps a caesarian or tests could have helped this young lady....

Ask your own parents and find out as much as you can .... but also let your children know what's happened to you in the past, as it may be helpful to them in the future...

Well, just heard on the news, that a young, local lady died, after giving birth to her baby from a brain haemorrhage caused by a CVT ... Cerebral Venous Thrombosis http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic642.htm ... which caused a brain haemorrhage....

Her Mum and her Mum's sister, had also died from a CVT ..... even though the GP had requested that tests be carried out on the young Mum, nothing was done prior to the birth...... let's face it, if anything is going to stress the body, then I would imagine that childbirth would be the ultimate test...

I also feel so sad, that this baby will grow up without a Mum and I really don't want this to happen to my children or theirs....

Jeez, it makes me mad and even madder, that a young life has been taken ..... Family medical history is so important and I can only stress, that we need to pass our medical information on and if we need to make a fuss, then we should.... especially with childbirth, where any family complications should be noted and picked up on, if there's an emergency ....

• 3 weeks later...

For so long I felt disaapointed in myself for having c -sections with all my children. When I was discharged after my SAH, I had a follow-up appointment with my obi-gyn. He was shocked to here about my SAH but expressed how thankful he was that I had not tried for a vaginal birth with my daughter.

God was looking after me!

Hi Linda,

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, more women seem to suffer with SAH's than men and I've often wondered whether this may be related to the stresses and strains of natural childbirth...... it was a long time ago for me, but when I was pushing I did think that perhaps my head was going to blow off ...... my migraines also got worse after the birth of my 2nd child ..... who knows whether there is a connection or not, but childbirth probably doesn't help.

I think its important also to pass on family medical history. The girls are very aware that coronary heart disease is prevalent on both sides of Morris's family and that my father died of emphysema and that I myself suffer from COPD.

I try my best to get them to consider the harm/risks that smoking could mean to them but like most of us they always assume it wont happen to them.

I am also without much success trying to persaude the girls to get checked for possible aneurysms the two youngest both suffer from head pain. Sarah had been prone to migraines since she was about 9 and Wendy has really bad head pains but not migraine.

I honestly believe that I may have suffered a bleed in my late twenties as I had severe head pain that lasted for about 2 months and no amount of painkillers shifted it. At the time our Doctor was a forces Doctor and put the pain down to cluster headaches caused by smoking without even examining me...

Janet x

Hi Karen

good to see that link.

I've been dementing my Doc's re hope of getting pregnant and worries about childbirth. I've been told no concerns at all. also re hereditary. they seem to be very reluctant that there are links. felt like I was being extrememly over anxious

I think it makes sense that if the body is under a lot of stress a quick link is bound to blow.

I'll keep at them.

Thanks

Aine x

Hi,

Janet, I wouldn't be surprised if you did have one at 20 and was basically dismissed by the GP..... it seems to be the same old scenario that I keep reading ....

A couple of times in my teens, I had periods of migraines and collapsing/fainting as soon as I tried to stand up ..... (one time, I couldn't move my head off the pillow, as my neck was paralysed) these lasted for a couple of weeks .... I was told it was "my age" ...... which seems to be a common turn of phrase for a GP, when they haven't got a ****** clue.

My two kids have said "no" to screening ......mainly due to the fact, that an annie could be detected and may be too small to be treated, so they said that they would be forever worried about it ..... I can understand that and I would probably be the same.

But, like I've said to them, they must make sure that if they do experience migraines/eye problems, especially in their 30's or 40's to get themselves checked out and screened at that point. Also, to make sure that it's on their medical records that there is a history of aneurysms in the family. I know that you can only do so much and it's down to the Doc's that are treating you at the time, if they use that info or not ....

Aine, I hope that my post hasn't frightened you ...... or put you off having children. Obviously, your annie has been treated now, so I would imagine that the risks to you would be extremely low and no different to anybody else.

I was just so horrified, that this young Mum, in her early 20's, with a family history of losing both her Mum and Aunt at a young age, wasn't picked up ...... well it was by the GP and she should have been tested before giving birth, but wasn't .... It's such a waste of a young life and for the baby not to know it's Mum ..... it brought more than a tear to my eye.

Yes, the hereditary thing always rears it's head up, with mixed views and opinions normally ......My question is, if there isn't a hereditary link .... what are the odds on losing a mother, a sister and a daughter to the same condition? ..... Also, one side of my family seem to have heart problems and have had to have bypasses ..... the other side is plagued by stroke ....so is it lifestyle or is it hereditary? One minute they say that it isn't and then the next minute they ask you your family history...

I only have to mention that my brother is a type I diabetic and they've got a needle in my arm ...... my Mum has high cholesterol, again something that seems to run in her family, so I've always been tested for that too...

The information seems to differ with whoever is treating us .....

Hi Karen,

No not at all. I'm still giving my system abit of time to recover. Think Donald would have a heart attack if he read above message :lol:

I always like to try and think ahead. Even with the coils I'm guessing natural child birth adds alot of stress to the system. And there have been folk whose coils weren't 100% successful or have other anni's. Not that I'm on the negative spiral, just wanting to be as well informed as possible.

Need to lose a good couple of Stone before I even think about it. Aaah but there are lots of gorgeous babies about at the minute. Soo Cute. Admittedly I'm still at the auntie stage and quite happy to hand them back :lol:

Aine xox

Hi Aine

Well i wouldn't want to persuade you either way but i will tell you about me in sept 02 7th i had a sah, in jan 03 i had a weak spot clipped in oct o3 i had my 1st baby naturally (with epidural) 48 hrs i was in labour i had my second baby sept 07 with just gas and air my ns said i would be fine and i had complete faith in him, i am fine and so are my children my ns said they are not heredity i beleive him, i may be wrong but i do i will tell my children when they are older and they can choose to have them look if they want. For now the one is enjoying being a child the other a baby i could worry myself sick at every little knock they get but i ain't gonna

i'm not gonna wrap them up in cotton wool a knock to anyones head can cause a bleed not just those with aneurysms so i just know that i am here and i know the signs, which i am grateful for so if ever they were to have one i could get them to a hospital and dmand brain scans. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hi,

I totally agree with you and once you've had an op such as coiling or clipping, then you're considered as good as new and at no more risk than anybody else.

I also feel, that once you've survived a SAH, then life is for living and you shouldn't let it hold you back or worry yourself silly. At the end of the day, nobody knows what life has in store for any one of us and you can spend more time worrying about stuff that probably won't happen.

I was in two minds about posting about this young lady, as I knew it would probably be worrying for others and slightly controversial, so I didn't do it lightly......but, I wasn't talking about somebody that had been "repaired" via surgery, but somebody that was obviously thought of, as being"too young to be at risk" ....which seems to be a myth among the medical profession when it comes to strokes/brain haems .....but I think that it's important to bare in mind, family medical history, if you know about it... if you don't know about it, ask your parents or other relatives ....... it wasn't through any failure of this young lady or her GP and the hospital were fully aware of her family history, but it should have been acted upon before she gave birth and she hadn't even been screened, but from what I've read, suffering problems that could have been related, so to some degree, it was a failure by the hospital .... but, it was something that could probably have been prevented and her baby would have grown up knowing it's Mum.

I've seen so many stories on this website and elsewhere, where people have had late treatment and where the GP hasn't had enough knowledge of this condition, that I could cry..... Okay, I could bury my head in the sand and ignore it all and not be quite so controversial..... I worry hugely about my own kids..... even though they're pretty much grown up now, they know the facts and have had to live with me, through good and bad....they've had no desire to be screened at the minute, but at least they have full information and originally set up this website for me ...... I feel kind of guilty, that I've given them a huge burden, as ignorance is bliss.....but what do you do as a Mum, make them aware or not... I really wish that I wasn't having to have this conversation and life was as it was, 7 years ago.... Ignorance is probably bliss, but I've felt the need to tell my kids.... even though they're 21 & 17, you still consider them as children....

Anyway, I can only speak as I find and do what I think is okay ..... even, though I wish it were different...... Jess, it's good to have your experiences on the website, so I'm hoping, that when you have the time, that your experiences will be helpful and a comfort to any Mum- to -be or any young Mum that's experienced the same.... take care xx

Hi there everyone

Karen i would just like to say i wasn't getting at you in any way noone in my family before me as ever had one, that anyone knows of so all i was saying is that where do they start someone must have had them first and that anyone at all can have a bleed, so don't think for one minute that i was being funny in any way i for one value your opinions. Jess

hi all, from a snowy ireland!

Maybe its being older, having gone throught childbirth but I have to agree with Karen. My problems started when I gave birth to my last child 20 years a go and nobody picked up on it.

My bp went through the roof and bed rest was the option. This was vaguely checked over the next twenty years but dismissed, as get some rest you will be fine. And then bang. Like others , my grandfather, 2 aunties and then a year ago my mother died of aneurysms.

A week prior to my first SAH I was driving around with a bandana covering my eye, which was drooping , because the doctors did not know what was wrong with me.

My children are grown up and when we talk about being screened it is a big no, I dont want to know! We can only relate all our experiences here and at home and hopefully they will help somebody else to get help before its a medical disaster. take care janex

As far as I know having asked since the SAH no one in my family has had anything like this I'm the first that dosnt mean to say that there hasnt been somebody at some point down the line mind you....

I know that Ronnie's cousin that had a SAH her 5 sister's were going to get checked out her's was caused by a small tumor. In their case I dont know why they werent checked either becasue their Mum had a very large Brain tumor its strange isnt.......

L.x

Hi Jess,

Bless you....I wasn't at all thinking in that way hun!.... so, hope that I didn't come across that way.....:)

I wasn't sure whether to post the original message or not ..... I know that it was a slightly controversial or uncomfortable post and it's not the first time that I've read or heard about the same...... but I hope on this website that we can be honest and your post is a truely valid one and shows that you can still have a perfectly healthy life after an aneurysm is treated and that you can give birth without intervention and without health problems and have a beautiful baby! ...... I just get so annoyed when I can see that intervention would have saved a young girl's life..... this girl wasn't treated or even screened before her birth and I just worry about my own kids.... and hope to God, that they wouldn't be treated in the same way, just because they were deemed to be too young.

We really need to have more young Mum's on the website ..... it will give a lot of re-assurance to others that may'be thinking of having children in the future. Anyway, I think that this subject is a hugely valid one, so I'm going to set up a separate forum for it ..... I've been on a steep learning curve since setting up this website and will continue to do so .....

You take care

Karen

Your comments were valid, I have a daughter, no children yet, but one day and I would be the first to suggest screening.

She has already been refused the pill, because of my ailment, but this will make you cry another doctor said she could take it , because it was my fault I had a SAH because I smoked!!! I agree I did agravate it but...... ! Ignorance is definitely not bliss janex

Hi Jane,

Many people have smoked, but not many go on to develop a SAH...I've had problems since I was a teenager with migraines, fainting and blacking out and didn't smoke at that point and not for many years ..... I believe that we have a weakness in the blood vessel walls and probably smoking + stress or any other drug/alcohol taking, just aggravates things... I'm probably being controversial again!.....anyway, I always enjoy hearing other points of view....

Karen

I was told by the consultants , it didnt help, but, and this was three different hospitals, in my case they are congentital. Agree totally with lifestyle did not help, but once I knew I did give up, mainly because I was out of it for so long, i cant remember the withdrawal symptons!

Something good comes out of everything!!

janex

Hi all well when i was took in i was told i was born with weak spots (2) and i was told the smoking didn't help but it may not of caused it to go he said the most likely cause was working through the night then going to my day job, i can completely understand everyones concerns more so for their daughters as childbirth is a big strain, however i was fine and i have had 2 children since.

I will tell my kids when they are older but it is up to them i mean a friend of my mom and dad her mate as got an aneurysm deep in her brain they do not monitor it as they cannot operate they would try if it ruptered but the op alone would probably kill her, so sometimes i must admit that it is best not known about.

As silly as it sounds in a way i would rather of lived my whole life not knowing and died at 90 still not knowing, but like i said in an earlier post i am glad in a way that i had it as now if it does happen to my children i will be able to help them through it.

Jess

Hi Folks

Forgot about this post, Karen I think its good to have info so thanks for putting it out there, Jess where you on the Site just before you were due to give birth? Someone was and I've often wondered how they got on. Especially with Labour post Sah.

Thanks

Aine

Hi there yes i was on just b4 i gave birth and i got on fine thanks i have had 2 post op i was told to wait at least a year with first 1 but i hadn't got kids so i said to my hubby forget waiting they will say the same thing next yr then the yr after, so me being stubborn 2wks later i was pregnant and we were both fine and when i went back to see my ns just so he could see the baby LOL he said you can have as many children as you want, mind my midwife wanted me to have an abortion with the first one and i said no i have nothing to lose but a lot to gain so i am keeping it (it actually turned out to be a he)

Congratulations.

Hope you don't mind be asking all these questions.

Like yourself (at that time) I don't have kids, very broody, how were your fatigue and hormones during pregnancy? Mines go awol just generally at the moment.

How were the sleepless nights, and coping with the babies generally?

Thanks Jess

Aine xox

No Aine i don't mind you asking all these questions ask away i am happy to help. I felt great during both pregnancies a bit tired sometimes but not much i was working aswell though, and the sleepless nights didn't bother me at all i felt a bit tired the next day but i wouldn't swap my life or my kids for all the money in the world.

Jess.x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I would say definitely get checked out if there is any family history of SAH. As I mentioned in another posting, my mum died from SAH at 78 and my gran at 46 (not long after giving birth to my mum). When I was in hospital with my SAH last Nov there was one other lady in the ward who was early 40s and she had just had a SAH and she was telling me that her mum had one just before giving birth to her. Luckily her mum survived and is now in her 80s but she wasn't aware she had given birth to her daughter until 6 weeks after the birth. Certainly when I had my checkup recently the consultant was keen to find out if there was anyone else in my family who should be screened. I don't think SAHs always run in the family but in some cases they do, perhaps slightly more down the maternal line.

Bestest

Anne