Traumatic sah driving

Pjk

20 weeks ago I had traumatic sah due to bike crash, I was in hospital 3 days and have made full recovery,I was very lucky. I informed the dvla after 10 weeks when I saw the consultant as no one informed me earlier. It's been a further 10 weeks, still not heard from them, 20 weeks from my accident. I have had no seizures, black outs etc and was discharged from hospital 10 weeks ago.

Has enough time passed for me be able to drive, the consultant said 10 weeks ago I could race again, I am not, but need to drive, thanks.

Welcome to BTG.

Unfortunately you are not allowed to drive until you have been cleared by DVLA to do so. I suggest you ring them and see where you stand.

DVLA are notoriously slow and will more than likely want a report from your doctor/consultant before making a decision.

Sorry that this is not good news.

There is not a time scale and each case is looked at individually.

May be worthwhile ringing your consultant's secretary to check whether he has actually replied as they are busy and may not have got around to it yet.

Even if the consultant has replied it will still take DVLA ages to act upon his report.

Ringing DVLA may help to hurry thing up but don't hold your breath.

If you look around the site there are several threads about driving.

eg http://web.behindthegray.net/index.php?/topic/3563-dvla/?hl=dvla

Dvla are currently taking 15 weeks for the medical advisors to make a decision. I rang them yesterday to chase up my reapplication from end of May and this is what I was told. Unless your job is at threat through not being able to drive you have to wait . I was supposed to have a 6 month ban which now looks like it will turn into a year mainly through the DVLAs inefficiency.

My daughter has been using my car but is leaving the country at the end of this month. Looks like I will be selling my car then as no point in it sitting rotting in the street until the DVLA grants me my licence. Anyone want a lovely blue Micra - very low mileage!

It is so unfair but nothing I can do about it but wait, luckily I have great friends, a bike and a lovely free bus pass.

Good luck!

Clare xx

The letter you received stating 9 weeks is out of date. When I phoned them they told me it was now 15 weeks, they just hadn't got round to changing the wording of the letter yet! Or maybe their delays change so often they don't even bother!

Clare xx

hi pjk,welcome to btg,had same trouble getting my licence back.if you had a evd when you were in hospital the dvla 

won't let you drive for six months.the six months is from  the time you finished treatment.

you need to keep contacting hospital and dvla to find out whats going on,

like every one else says they are extremley slow.took me eight months to get mine back.

good luck rob