Recently suffered an nasah and I know very little about it and what to expect now.

In the very early hours of Sun 1st Oct after a night out with my boyfriend I became very ill, I had the worst headache I've ever had and I couldn't stop being sick, I spent most of the night on the bathroom floor.

My boyfriend left for work the next day and I carried on being sick all morning, by lunchtime I was in bed and couldn't even lift my head off the pillow, just tilting my head to the side caused me to go dizzy.

My Mum picked my boyfriend up from work and picked me up and took me to A&E. My boyfriend then informed me that I'd tripped over my dog and banged my head on the kitchen floor the night before but I couldn't remember. 

I was given a CT scan which showed a bleed on my brain. I was transferred to the HDU at another nearby hospital, and was given an incision in my groin and a wire inserted up to my brain to take pictures (I can't remember it's name, memory loss has been a problem). I was diagnosed with a subarachnoid haemorrhage and a fractured skull. 

I was released from hospital after 3 days but ended up straight back in again because I was In so much pain, it turns out I was prescribed codeine when it actually causes headaches not cures them.

I was the released again the next day. All I know is I need to have at least 6 weeks off work and I can't drive for 12 weeks. The hospital hasn't been very sympathetic or helpful. It's been 2 weeks today, can anybody tell me what to expect and what is normal for my future please? 

Hi, 

Welcome to BTG, glad you found us and hope we can be of help to you. Sounds like you have had a rough time of it with the usual lack of information on discharge. Hope the headaches have stopped now and that you are beginning to recover.

You ask what is normal? That's not really a question that is easily answered as we all recover in different ways and at different speeds. I too had a NASAH with the added complication of hydrocephallus. I was in hospital for 2 weeks and off work for an initial 3 months followed by a slow phased return. I think 6 weeks really is a minimum, don't rush back as it will only set you back further.

Your brain has suffered a terrible onslaught so you need to be kind to it and take things slowly. Hopefully your future will be a near enough return to normal but it may be a 'new normal', almost the same with a few subtle changes. A haemorrhage is a life changing event and I don't think there are that many of us who are 100% as they were before. You'll get there though, just take it slow, drink plenty of water and rest, rest. rest!

Look forward to hearing more from you, keep us posted.

Clare xx

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure there is no normal. I had a rough ride with the hospital too. I am 9 months out. I look fine on the outside, but boy am I a mess on the inside. All I can say to you is this sight has literally saved my life. I had "no deficits" according to my doctors. Ha! That has not shown to be true. Take all the time they give you off work and rest and recover. I went back to work after less than 2 weeks off. Now I am this far out and still paying a high price for my foolishness. Listen to the people,here, they know what they are talking about!

i hope your recovery is smooth. Seems like so many in this group knew what to expect after the brain bleed. Wish I could go back and do,it differently. Take all the time you can to recover!

Thank you for your replies.

I'm feeling really frustrated at the moment. I look fine from the outside and can sense me family and friends thinking I'm just being lazy etc, I feel like I'm constantly telling them I have headache and I don't think they believe me. I think I need a t-shirt printed to remind them. 

I'm torn between doing the shopping/housework etc and knowing I'll pay for it later or resting up like I've been told to by the doctors and getting sly comments and looks from my partner. 

☹ Xx

Hey hun

There's a saying I liked to use when people assumed this of me:

"I look well from afar, but I am far from well"

I also had a tee shirt with the words "I can see clearly now the brain has gone" written on the front!!

I really feel for you because I know where you're coming from. I had the same problem with my lot - because I was walking and talking and discharged from hospital within a week of my coiling op, they all thought I was fine.  They promised they'd help around the house blah blah blah.  Did they??  For the first week sure  - then assumed I was perfectly OK.  It wasn't until about 5 weeks after when I had a complete melt down that they started to listen, especially when I was diagnosed with PTSD and referred for counselling.  It lasted another couple of months - though hubby did make sure that I rested and slept properly bless him.  The housework etc though  - no; well not up to my standards anyway - which stressed me out more than actually doing it myself.

I suggest you get your partner and family and friends to have a look at this site.  It might help them realise that you are far from being lazy - in fact you are trying to let your brain rest so it can heal.  Muscles ache after a work out so we rest them - you can't do that with a brain.  I broken limb s in a cast so it can heal - we can't do that to a brain.

I know it's hard, but stop worrying about what they think and look after yourself - they have arms and legs don't they??  Then surely they're capable of doing housework too, after all they live there so they can help keep it clean and tidy.  Remind them the DOCTOR has told you to rest - its not a lifestyle choice!!

Look after you and make sure you're drinking plenty of water too.

Thanks for that, at least I'm not the only one. 

I actually fractured my skull too when I fell and had the haemorrhage so I am healing a bone too haha.

There has already been an awkward argument with my partner (we've been together 10 months and don't live together) about how much money he spent while I was in hospital, getting there and back, buying me food, new nightclothes, magazines etc (none of which I asked for!) he has apologised since and won't take any money from me but I'm feeling like a massive inconvenience at the moment xx

Hey!!! That's his problem not yours!  

I did the same for my hubby when he was in hospital a couple of years ago after a massive motorcycle accident - but I never once brought it up and reminded him how much I'd spent etc - its just something you do for someone you love.

If he doesn't live with you then its none of his business whether you've vacuumed, dusted, cleaned the toilet or whatever - the housework will still be there when you feel up to it - it's not like the world will stop spinning if you don't vacuum for a while is it?

The most important thing you should be doing right now is looking after yourself and your health - and now you've pointed it out - your broken bone :wink:

Rest, relaxation, water, baby steps all = happy, healthy you.

Sami/Skippy is correct in everything she has put to you Mrsnicg xx

When you feel rough go to bed have a sleep xx

Slow but sure you get more strength back.

It is a slow process but keep away from others troubles as you need to concentrate on getting better, no doom and gloom tales from friends you need to keep happy when possible.

Good to see PJ replying to you also as she is a newbie  so perhaps you 2 can make notes lol xx Remember Stress is bad for us  xxx Always putting that !!! 

We all leave hospital with unanswered questions xx Good luck xxxx

Thanks for your reply.

I'm currently in bed feeling sorry for myself. I got overconfident and went shopping now I've got stabbing pains, a feeling like someone's twanging an elastic band in my head and ear ache. 

I asked my other half to bath the dogs for me and the awkwardness of hearing him desperately trying to think of an excuse was just embarrassing so I ended up saying I'll do then tomorrow or Sunday when I feel better x

Hey hun

To be honest, your partner is very lucky that I'm not there with you!!!!!!! It sounds like he's actually lazier than he accuses you of being!!!  He has to understand that the brain injury will have left you with fatigue too.  Fatigue is not just being tired - its like suddenly hitting a brick wall and your whole body refuses to do anything else.

Don't bath the dogs if you're not feeling up to it - unless they have a skin condition or are covered in mud don't worry too much.  You're far more important than bathed dogs - get a deodorising spray for them - I use one on my dog and it's perfectly OK.  Wait until you have the energy to bathe them.

Hi,

You aren't being lazy.  It isn't as if you've hurt your finger or an arm or a leg.  You have had a brain injury - it's at the core of everything you do and it doesn't heal like other parts of your body do.  Brains take a lot longer to heal and unfortunately you can't see the injury, but it's there alright.

How serious an injury was it?  The answer lies in the statistics, which show that you are a lucky survivor, as we all are.  There are many who were not so fortunate as us and lots of survivors are left with permanent injury or disability and it's time those around you realised that, and appreciate how lucky they all are to still have you with us

In recovery terms it's still early days for a brain injury and the sooner everyone around you comes to realise that the better. - how will they feel if they make you ill by piling on the pressure to do more?

Money has no value, except it's part in making you well again - that's all that's important. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I suffered a NASAH almost five years ago.  Frustrated?  Yes.  No answers? Yes.  I was released and told it would take close to two years to feel normal.  And, what that means is you will have to accept your normal will be different from before.  You've just gone through a very critical and life changing event.  It's vey difficult in the beginning but you will survive and you will be okay.  There is weirdness that still happens to me and I have daily headaches.  May be different for you.  

Take time to heal.

i

Thank you for your reply Iola.

It's been 5 weeks now and I'm starting to feel semi normal. My main issues now are dizziness which has caused me to fall down the stairs and damaged the ligaments in my ankle and my memory, I can literally forgetwhat I'm saying mid sentence. I have an appointment with the Neurosurgeon on the 18th so hopefully i will know where I am with my recovery then Xx

Memory does get better, slow but sure .

Still forget names of old singers though and actors, whatshis name has become my most used word, and me and hubby get through it by going "he was in that film we liked with that woman.with the blonde hair"  ha ha 

Between the 2 of us we get there in the end !! 

You take care and remember slow but surely does it xxxxx

Archived