Dizziness

Hi Penny,

I have a shunt and if I rush up I go giddy, so when able I sit up on the edge of bed, wait a few seconds,  I do things much slower now days.

If you are worried about it see your Doctor for peace of mind.   Daffs had trouble with hers in the early days.

Good luck and welcome to the shunt club lol xx  Hope dizziness goes  xx

I have a shunt and my dizziness still persists but it is nothing to do with my shunt, just the damage caused by the SAH or hydrocephalus itself. I have to use a walking frame but still fall with it.

If your dizziness persists you need to be asking for the shunt setting to be checked, politely of course. See your doctor.

As Win says, Daffodil had problems with hers in the early days until her setting was adjusted so that it was just right for her.

Hi Penny, good advice from SM and Win to do things a bit slower and get checked as well.

After I had my shunt placed I had big challenges with the pressure setting that I had been put on and frankly was pretty poorly with it. 

The effects more related to feeling too low pressure but dizziness can be one of those symptoms. As mine is adjustable my team worked with me and I trialed three different pressure settings before I settled where I am now. It was an uncomfortable period to say the least but I knew the setting wasn't working for me.

Dizziness can be the effects of the bleed as SM said and where this was but if you have other pressure symptoms as well and your valve is adjustable you may wish to chat about trying a differing setting. I think keep a diary of the feelings, note if it's getting worse, and go back and chat to the team.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am 8 weeks out of SAH , no shunt, but still experiencing severe dizziness and near constant headaches. It is very disconcerting to say the least.  Neurosurgeon dismissed me after 4th week saying "everything was fine" with no advice on what to expect. I had to return to work on week 4 and quickly realized the stress of work makes all symtoms much worse. Unfortunately I have no choice, must work. Very thankful to be alive but struggling with after effects and anxiety. So glad to find a place I can talk about it all. Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions. 

Momcat

Four weeks is very early to return to work - in fact, too early in my opinion.  Take regular breaks, get out in the fresh air if you can and stay upright.  Bending will set off dizzy spells.  I can't believe they made you go back so soon.  Get someone else to do tasks that make you go dizzy.  Listen to your body and do what it tells you.  You'll suffer if you don't!

Try and delegate some things to others if you can.  be kind to yourself or you will set yourself back.

Good luck.

Let us know how you get on.

Macca

Mom,

It does get better but we all have/had a long haul ahead of us.  Stress is a bad thing for us so I sing happy songs to take mind off stress.

Keep away from pals who want to tell you their tales of woe.  I have a lovely sister but she always tells me sad things and I need happiness xx

Selfish aren't I,  but just keep happy and stress free xx  Hard to do but a song helps  xxx

Thanks for the responses and encouragement. So glad to have found a place to voice my questions, concerns and fears. Have been feeling like I have to keep it all hidden because family/friends are so glad I am "ok" they don't want to acknowledge I am struggling. So I just keep the happy face mask on and assure them all I am fine. So knowing I now have a place to be real and honest is quite a relief.

Momcat

Archived