What happened after my Stroke Part One

KeithH

Home Now!!!

After a spell of 16 weeks in hospital I was discharged, then the fun really started. At the time it was my goal to get home before my 40th Birthday, yep did it. Had a party, family and friends from all over came, they all sat there goggling me, fussing & driving me nuts!! “Will someone get drunk, it's my party” My sister lead the way!! whata Girl!!!

I managed to keep going to fizzy-o and OT. Up until November 1998. Visiting my doctor for a follow up from the hospital. I ask about information about Stroke & Epilepsy, I was told there was very little about these subjects in this area. He stated that “your not going to be able to work for the foreseeable future, why don't I start something yourself?” Very helpful I thought, but not the sort of support I anticipated. I said thank you for your support, our was it something different, cant remember, and changed my GP.

All this and in the same week I found that my job could no longer be guaranteed. This in turn caused a slightly larger problem! The accommodation came with the job. As you may imagine this put me on a low, wandering what do I do now.

After 20 years plus, I had to change my whole outlook on life frustration set in, because now I was unable to do the every day things that came naturally. You know silly things like washing, dressing, getting up to answer the door, taking my daughter for walks . . . (I'm going to stop this paragraph before I wind my self up, yes, it still hurts)

So we packed our bags and moved to "Market Weighton – East Yorkshire" where only, after a few weeks I was put onto a "Family Stroke Support Worker” first few visits felt strange, but after a while I saw what she was trying to make me ask for.

That was . . HELP.

At first, I pushed the offer away, in fact I pushed too many people away, family & friends. I was not coping, I just wanted to be alone, I knew I wasn't the only one who had survived a Stroke, but I wanted to know WHY ME!!

Then one day my Support Worker, gave me a good kick up the bum. It what I needed, right this is it, come on, your stronger than this, buck your ideas up. Next morning, new day, new start

I was to make contact with a group called "DUET" (which alas closed it's doors late 2000) DUET was there to help anybody with any disability build up their confidence and get them back on track. Offering “Empathy & Advocacy” After completing the courses available, I stayed on as a Volunteer to help others.

Since attending the "DUET" courses I've moved on to assisting in the tuition of computer training, with disabled people and people with learning difficulties. Something I wouldn't have even thought of a few years ago.

Also introduced to a Stroke Club. Now that was a good move, just knowing your not alone helps. I'm Secretary of one Club and helped set up 4 more in the area. I also compile a by-monthly user friendly Newsletter. Plus I'm a “User & Carers Representative for Stroke” I'll tell you more about this in a future input.

Stroke Clubs & what I'm doing now in next installment

Keith Henman

Stroke Survivor

Next Installment due soon

Take care all

Hi Keith :D

Wow, you should be very proud of yourself and what you have achieved. I can relate to your earlier frustrations and not wanting to ask for help,i can often feel the same.

But just look at you now...a real inspiration, well done you!

Take care

Love Tinaxx

Keith.......do you know i can walk talk and move all my limbs..........so why am i like this :?:

If you can do it so can I...........my problems are nothing compared to yours so maybe i will tell my councellor to kick me up the back side ( its big enough ) :lol::lol: god did i crack a joke.....

What an inspiration you are READY FOR NEXT PART X