Candice

Candice

Hello all what brings me to this site all started in mid October.

I was suffering with migraines/ thunderclaps almost on a daily basis as well as high bp  I had been to multiple local hospitals, urgent cares, my primary care physician and my neurologist in which they all would deal with the main issue and send me home, but I progressively got worse.

Then I began with right sided heaviness and weakness and once again the hospital didn’t take my symptoms serious I guess due to my age as I am 33.  It had gotten so bad the day I was taken to Hershey med Center I wasn’t able to get off the floor.  After arriving to the hospital and lots of tests finally a diagnosis stroke related to Reversible cerebral vasoconstrictive syndrome . I am currently still doing pt and speech therapy and hope to get back to work and life. 

Hello Candice.... and a warm welcome to BTG. 

While we do not give medical advice, you will find much support from our members many of whom have shared their own experiences of brain trauma in the various forum threads.

As far as your own diagnosed condition...RCVS ... if you type this in the Home Page search box... you will discover posts concerning your condition. I hope you find these helpful.

It must have been such a traumatic time for you and your family last year as you experienced these severe headaches.  As in SAH, your recovery will be unique to you.  Do you have ongoing appointments with your consultant?  Do you have family and friends who can support you in your recovery.

We look forward to hearing of your progress.

Subs

I turned 30 last year. We are relatively young to be suffering from strokes, but that also means we are better able to recover from such an event (I'm just passing on what my neurosurgeon told me). Just recover first, don't start thinking about work yet, there are so many stories on here of people going back to work to soon and regretting it. Please just make sure you are genuinely ready before taking that big step. 

It's very hard at first. I remember I would start to do something and then have to stop about half an hour later,  it can be frustrating, so in the end I self imposed a half an hour limit on anything I did. I could only listen to an audio book for half an hour and then I would have to change tasks or take a break. 

There is a topic on here that might interest you, it's called

'What hobbies/activities do you do and do you think it helps post SAH?' Might give you some suggestions. Hope it helps. 

Hi Candice and welcome to BTG.

You don't mention what kind of work you do, but after a while I started to climb the walls with frustration.

What I did, was to get out all of my old training manuals from when I learned to do my job and I started to re-learn it.  I did it in small manageable chunks, because I found I got tired very quickly, and when that happened I started to make mistakes or couldn't concentrate enough.

It was of enormous value to me, because it helped me evaluate where I was, in terms of recovery, and whether I was indeed 'fit for purpose' to be able to return to my job.

I also took time out to put down, with pen and paper, to look at what caused me stress and what I could cut down or get rid of, to ease the burden on me.  It was amazing what I came up with, and one of the most important things was 'learn to say 'No.'

I hope this helps, good luck.

Hi Candice,

I was told by one of my Brain Team "What makes you think you will walk again" Well I had to show him he was wrong !! lol 

I can only walk 250 yards on a good day and a few steps on a bad day,  but I have my independence back. nearly.

You take your time and no stress (My Surgeon told me).  Listen to your body and on good days go for it xx.  On bad days rest up xx

Good luck Candice and remember we made it,   and we are survivors !!

Keep going

Win xxxx  Oh also do not listen to others tales of woe ie doom and gloom stories you need happiness around you xx

Hi Candice,

Just do it when you want to, when you are in the mood, and stop when you need to. It is useful to be able to sit down and do things without external pressures.  Be realistic about what you can and cannot do.  Don't force yourself or be disappointed because you thought you could do more on any particular day.  Some will be better than others. What matters is that you continue to make progress.

Good luck,

Macca

21 minutes ago, Winb143 said:

Hi Candice,

I was told by one of my Brain Team "What makes you think you will walk again" Well I had to show him he was wrong !! lol 

I can only walk 250 yards on a good day and a few steps on a bad day,  but I have my independence back. nearly.

You take your time and no stress (My Surgeon told me).  Listen to your body and on good days go for it xx.  On bad days rest up xx

Good luck Candice and remember we made it,   and we are survivors !!

Keep going

Win xxxx  Oh also do not listen to others tales of woe ie doom and gloom stories you need happiness around you xx

Archived