Hemorrhagic Stroke

My mom had a hemorrhagic stroke back of brain due to blood thinner meds.  Anyone else have a love one facing this?  She is 82 now double vision, nausea when stand.  Very troubled don't know what to do for her.  She's alert no other side effects.  3 weeks now not much progress.   Doctors don't seem to be of much help besides more medicine and leave me not knowing how to take care of her right.

Welcome to BTG.

Sadly many of us were in the situation where the medics were  giving very little help. It seems to be commonplace.

Is your mum still in hospital or has she been discharged? She is in the very early days of recovery, there is no timescale as everybody's recovery is individual. Some people are still recovering years afterwards.

Unfortunately recovery from a SAH is a very long slow process. and only time will tell what deficits will remain.

Make sure she drinks plenty of water as that will help any residual headaches. As for caring for her, all you can do is to take your lead from your mum.

Do you have any follow up appointments if she has been discharged as an inpatient?

I m sorry to hear that. Is she at home or in s rehab? Did they referred you to neuro and physical therapy after discharge. I will definitely be very careful about falls since most 80 yr olds might have osteoporosis. Sometimes we do refer patients to neuro ophthalmologist for better answers. Drink lots of water except make sure she doesn’t have fluid restrictions due to congestive heart failure. 

I ll make sure she sees the primary care and neuro and ask them questions. Good luck. You ll find that this site is very helpful.

Hi, if mum is still in hospital she will be or should be fully assessed on how she manages in walking and how she will cope once at home. There should be a team gathering around her soon if not already. Keep clam and ask as many questions you need to ensure mum is suitable for home or any other place and to ensure that mum will be looked after.

Good luck to you both

Good luck you and Mum Linda.

My Family kept talking to me and got photos and my Sisters sang to me 

Even though I do not remember all, when I was better and had appointment I remember places that were all windows so some memories stuck in my head. My hubby said "We went here Win" and that was when I couldn't even hold myself upright !! xxx

Remember some memories are better than none  xxxx

Archived