Alcohol and haemorrhagic stroke - Derek Mclean

Derek Mclean has been in contact with me and would like to share his story with Behindthegray.

Derek is 37 years old, but he suffered a haemorrhagic stroke at 32, due to alcohol addiction. Derek has written a book and carried out a podcast interview about his experiences which you may be interested in. If Derek’s book and podcast are of interest to you, then please click on the following web page link.....

http://www.alcoholpolicy.net/2007/05/index.html . Just scroll down to 'A Survivors Story' and you will also see Derek’s book ''Return Ticket Please'' which he has written under the pseudonym Derek Williams. You can also hear Derek’s podcast and read some information on strokes and alcohol.

derekmccleanmr1.jpg

Derek's book is available at Amazon.co.uk for £6.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/2 ... .y=0&Go=Go

Thanks Karen its a bit worrying its has you wandering if you should be drinking at all, I sometimes have a glass of wine watered down with lemonade during the week used to drink a few bottles before my SAH :roll:

Sometimes its just nice to have a little drink to relax you I control what I drink because it goes to my head very quickly it also triggers off my depression if I have more than a few glasses

How boring :(

Might read the book though sounds interesting

Hope you are feeling a little better

yasmin

xxxxx

Hi Yasmin,

I haven't read Derek's book myself, but have listened to the podcast .... It is scary and worrying when you look at the binge drinking that kids do these days. I have read many a time, that SAH'ers or their family were asked if they had been drinking or taking drugs prior to their admittance to hospital .....I know that the Paramedics asked Eric that question. Excessive alcohol can also induce seizures, whether or not you've had a SAH .... it's certainly something that makes you think and even though liver damage has always been indicated with excessive alcohol intake, I never knew prior to the SAH that it could affect the brain.

I saw a program on tv a few weeks ago and they said the only part of the body that does'nt reproduce new cells once they die is the brain!!

Not much we can do about that one :D

I read that people who take coke are at risk of SAH I did'nt do any of those things I'm sure none of us did and here we are the ones who have suffered

Never mind we are all here to tell the tale :D

I did a spin class at the gym today was really scared when I got on the bike and kept looking at the clock but felt so happy when the class had finished as its another fear out the way

Take care

Yasmin

x

Think that we've only had a couple of members on this website that have been brave enough to say that they were taking hard drugs ...... I'm sure that if they'd had known that those drugs would have given them a brain haem, then I doubt that they would have taken them. There's kind of a lack of information out there ..... we either get bombarded with info or there seems to be nothing at all. It's good that people like Derek are honest, open and brave enough to share their experience with us.

Glad that your class went okay and like you say, it's another hurdle out of the way and shows that you're moving on with your life....which is so important. Good luck Yasmin and feel proud of yourself....

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else find their capacity for drink has diminished? I'm a really cheap date now - 2 glasses of wine and I'm anybodys! I forgot to ask my neuro why this is so can anyone help? Just curious, know it won't make any difference.

Sarah x

ps - I like Guinness too, preferably in Dublin....

Me to a glass of vino and I'm out for the count, how sad :( used to be able to drink the best of them under the table :D

I have no idea why but think it could be something to do with the chemicals in the brain? shame though used to love a drinkie pooh's

yasmin

xxxxx

Hey there

Not sure whether it affects me more or not - can still drink OK, just have the memory loss bit quicker I think. Get a raging hangover in the morning but I have my "special potion" to help stop that. I don't drink often anyway to be honest - once a fortnight if that and then when we have a get together.

TTFN

Sami xxx

Sasbo,

I'm the same I can only drink a couple of white wine and lemonades. I am a cheap date too :lol: Simon use to say I was cheap date years ago but he loves it even more now :lol:

I may venture to pure wine if in the wine cos i know it takes me 10 seconds to get to my bed! Still only have two though!

Sami- I find i repeat myself more after a drink!

A funny story about guinness-simon and his brother went to Dublin, both drinking guinness, the next day Simons brother went to the loo and came out looking white as a sheet panicking that his p**h had turned black :lol: He has never had guinness since :lol::lol:

Love and hugs

Laura

Hi

I used to drink regularly pre SAH, I would go out at least 3 times a week and put down a fair few pints of beer. Since my SAH I have tried to have a few pints but never got beyond one or two however the following day I would feel terrible. I tried shandy's but no different. I now do not drink any alcohol except at our 60th birthday party when I had one pint and just couldn' stomach any more so I'm leaving it alone permanently now. To be honest I'm now getting used to going out and drinking soft drinks, at least I can drive anywhere now and not fear the breathalyser. I normally drink diet coke but they say thats bad for you, can't win. After my SAH I was told I could drink in moderation but as I said I tried - no good. Surprising how much money you have but then I go and spend it on eating!!!

Cheers

John