Mrs - work advice needed

Hi All 

Just found this fantastic site.

I had a NASAH in November and spent 12 days in hospital. I was wondering how long people usually take to get back to work as I have not returned yet. I work in a veterinary practice which can be physical work and also noisy.        ( for 3 days a week although thinking of reducing to 2 days )

My headaches have mostly gone however the back of my head feels tight and my neck stiff most of the time. I still feel uncomfortable looking up to the ceiling and down at my feet !

Im Not sure if I should start  a phased return to work soon or give it more time, I feel really bad being off for so long !  ( I have a sick lined up to start of June )  

Hi Jill, welcome to BTG, glad you found us and are finding the site useful :) 

Sorry to hear you had a NASAH but glad you feel you are recovering well. You have done well to have had a good long stretch off work - there are some good employers out there! I was initially signed off for 3 months  after my Nasah and started my phased return shortly after then. However in reality that was too soon and I think 6 months would have been more appropriate. Unfortunately my employer only paid me for 3 months and as I am the main wage earner back to work I went.

After a long series of events and job changes I have now settled for working 30 hours over 4 days a week. I have Wednesdays off to recoup mid week and still need it after 3 years. You may  well find that noise may be a problem for you so you will need to take that into account. Have you considered just doing a few hours for a couple of days a week and see how you cope?

Take it slowly, don't rush back. Make sure your employer understands what you have been through and how it has affected you.

Hopefully the neck pain will diminish in time if it doesn't make sure you speak to your doctor about it. My neck was sore for some months after but is fine now unless I am tired.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Clare xx

Hi Jill, 

Glad you found this site, great support here...I had my NSAH a year ago the end of April followed by a severe vaso spasm that put me in ICU for 8 days and then to rehab for 2 weeks. 

I went back to work in two months.  My job like yours is very busy, I work in a hospital and it is noisy, bright and non stop..

I started back half shifts for a couple of weeks and then went back to my normal 24 hours ( I am 65) ...I think the fact that I work the over night shift makes it more difficult.

Point of my post... I think I went back a bit too soon...I was fearful I would lose my job and pushed myself...I don't think it did me any harm but I do wonder what my coworkers made of me.... 

I still am struggling with working and find myself spending many of my days off recovering. 

I do think I am better mentally working.. Take good care of yourself and allow yourself to rest...no one knows what you are experiencing except you.

Best wishes as you recover..

Jean

Welcome to the website. I cannot give medical advice but you ll see some of the threads are very helpful.

you need at least about three months to improve and it s probably better to go back to work part time and see how you do.

goodluck.

Hi Jill,

i had my NASAH in 2015 and tried to go back to work after about three months which turned out to be too soon. The strange thing was when I was not working I felt good but when I was working I found I was tired and it was hard to concentrate.  I think everyone is different so experiment and see what works for you. 2 + year’s later I feel really good and choose to work three days a week.  My improvement was gradual, sometimes I didn’t notice it but it has been in the right direction. Now I live a full and healthy life and thoroughly enjoy it.

all the best with your recovery.

Hi Jill,

Depends on the person, only you know how you truly feel ..Read the letter from your Brain below

Slowly does it xxxx after all we are all different and mine took me ages to get over SAH4.  Good luck  whatever road you choose  xxxxx.  Just do not overdo it xx and good luck xx

Win xxxx

Archived