MEMORY

Guest GANAVAN

Guest GANAVAN

i,d like to ask if any of you could tell me your experience with how your memory was after your sah.

do you remember people form your lives previous to your sah ?or is it a case of only remembering people if you see them?

any of your experiences would be much appriciated.

myself and my children have a loved one going thru this at the moment and altho he knows you when you are there he forgets when u leave!! will this improve or is that as good as it gets and is his previous memories of us now gone forever?? its 6 months on .

any help and thaughts on this would be of great help to me

thank you

Hi :)

My memory pre sah is fine....like Caroline i suffer from short term memory and my time in hospital is hazy!

Things are improving....and hopefully they will for your loved one...6 months is very early days. Take care Love Tina xx

Hi

I can SO understand this although I too have a short term memory loss, I also cant remember much about my past, although I do know who people are and I have to tell you this has greatly improved over the years but it take a lot of hard work to do it.....

Looking at pictures is a good thing even all the old pictures was good therapy for me, in your case I dont know if its as good as it gets but never think it is going to be.......I'm an example of that one :roll:

take care oh and a warm welcome If I havent said already somewhere else....

Louise.x

Hi and welcome to this fab web site.

I too have short term memory probs but did remember everyones faces and most names from before my SAH nd still after. The people whose names I struggled with were like people that my hubby works with and that i hadn't seen for a year etc. My problems are more trying to remember to turn the grill off etc.

Hopefully things will improve for you and your family

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

Hello and welcome Ganavan, like all the other posters so far, I do struggle with my memory and have to walk around with a notebook in case I have a good idea as I won't remember it, I too cannot remember much about my time in hospital and still nothing about what happened, for which I am grateful. I do remember people but only if I see them not just by recall, I too am in the 'early days' category, it is eight months since I had my SAH. I think it is safe to say that most survivors have memory problems, but they do vary very much no two people are the same although there may be similarities like the ability to burn everything 'cos you forgot it was on! I have very little recall of things technical, had to more or less re-teach myself basic computer skills,I used to tinker with my computers innards, and setting and would happily install hard disk and memory, now I wish that I could install memory for myself :oops: but I can't even think about how to do it for my computer, very irritating! I try never to think anything is as good as it gets, as so many people have found that even years down the line they have got back a skill they thought lost forever! I had to look back several times whilst writing this post to check who you were and who said what, how's that for short term :oops::oops: This is one accident for which the saying 'Time is a great healer truly applies, but as Louise, I think it was said, we do have to work at it :shock:

Hi there welcome to the site.

Yes I remember people always did I used to look at them sometimes looking puzzled apparently however I knew who they were as I called my mom mom and my chap Kev. Jess.xxx

It will get better with time

Welcome to the site. My short-term memory has definitely been affected. With remembering life before my SAH, I do remember it but everything that happened before seems very distant as if it all happened centuries ago in another world. It's a strange feeling.

I wonder if talking to your loved one about shared experiences and memories or looking at old photos like Jess suggested might help.

I'm a year post-SAH and things do get better but for me it's been very very slowly and it's only after a few months that I can look back and think "I'm better than I was then" as I don't notice it day to day or week to week or even month to month.

Hope to hear from you again on how your loved one is doing.

Warm wishes

Anne

HI GANAVAN

I FIND THAT PIECES OF THE PAST ARE MISSING MY KIDS WILL ASK IF I REMEMBER THINGS THAT HAPPENED OR ABOUT THINGS FROM THERE CHILDHOOD AND THEY ARE GONE FROM MY MEMORY SHORT TERM I TEND TO KEEP REPEATING THINGS TO MYSELF SO I CAN TRY TO REMEMBER DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK BUT I TRY ANY WAY.

WELCOME EVELYN

Hi and Welcome

I'm 2 years into recovery now and still have some short term memory problems but have also slowly been discovering some gaps in my long term memory as well. I don't have problems remembering people just names sometimes but can't blame the SAH for that was never very good with names before just slightly worse now.

Janet x

Guest ElaineW

My mum is six months past SAH and has real problems with short term memory. She can remember events before the SAH and does talk about people and past times but often mixes names up. She often has trouble completing sentences sometimes and remembering where she puts things causes a lot of frustration. If she is tired it does seems to make it worse. She has started to accept that it may improve or it may not and some days are better than others. Some days she can spell or add up - other days she can't. She does find this the hardest aspect I thiink to deal with as she has always had a fantastic memory and never used to forgret anything. I try to make light of it but understand why she gets so upset. At the moment writing Xmas cards are causing a bit of a problem but she refuses to give in, she has difficulty remembering christian names and how to spell them and as fast as you tell her she forgets the minute after. I think memory problems seem to one of the most common problems after SAH affecting everyone. Whilst mum was in hospital she could not remember anyone who had viisited and sometimes had hallucinations whereby her friends had visited during the night serving coffee. To this day mum still struggles and I think this will be the hardest thing of all for her to accept. I wiish you and your family all the best; every day will be different and never give up on the bad days, it does get better.

Elaine

HI,

I have terribly memory problems i used to know where everything was and eveyone used to come and ask me where things were, but now short term memory is terrible, i BBQ all food :roll: i forget i have put the oven on. The sad thing is i can't remember last christmas and sometimes i look at people i know and their names don't register but it will get better and we are all different, i intend to make sure i remember this christmas :D Time is a healer.

Take care you and your family and keep posting we are here for you.

Love luck and laughter

Michelle C

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx