physiotherapy

Hi everyone!

I have an issue and would be very grateful if anyone knows anything about it, can relate or has had a similar experience.

I have started the physio on my neck and it´s proving to be very helpful. Now, the other day, the physiotherapist produced a device to add to the rehab. It consists on sticking on my neck these little plaques that send like an electrical wave to the muscle. The plaques are connected to a sort of battery. The truth is it worked fine and while I was wearing them it was if my neck was completely "normal" and I could move and rotate almost as before my clipping. The voltage was kept at the lowest all the time.

Does anyone know or has heard of any counterindication about using these things after an aneurysm? I haven´t had seizures or fits...so far... but it just doesn´t seem like a good idea. The therapist has admitted I´m the first patient of my type he´s worked with so he knows the same as me though "assumes" it´s ok. What if he´s wrong? I plan to ask the neurosurgeon during my next visit, but in the meantime, any info would be really appreciated.

Lots of love,

Nurianna

hi nurianna

this sounds like a tens machine which aleivates pain from muscles which have had good comments by most users are you able to confirm that the machine is a tens machine as it stimulates the muscle only and relieves any pain you may have when turning your neck and as it only uses batteries so therefore shouldnt cause any problems a lot of people use the machine for pain relief for many reasons and and in varoius places on the body in fact could be an aid to reduce your bp because with pain bp goes up but from what you have said if you can confirm its a tens machine i think you may be onto a winner if it works for you if i remember the power is local and is dissapated when it enters the muscle so i beleive it shouldnt be a problem for the surgeon in fact he might even be pleased for you i know you can buy them from variuos places go for it girl enjoy

thanks, it´s good to hear it sounds pretty safe to use this device. It´s definetely helpful though I think I will ask the physiotherapist to keep it on a low voltage during the sessions for the time being. It´s wonderful to be able to move my head again without having to turn all my body with it.....and after 7 months of this I was, felt and looked quite stiff... :) Sometimes I have to remind myself that I can now turn my head and do so conciously but it´s definetely an improvement in my quality of life. At the moment, I´m trying to get used to it and to adjust my balance and center of gravity to the new situation. It´s like a new beginning, it requires effort and the level of concentration I need tires me, but it´s worth it.....

Thanks once again and bless you all :)

Lots of love,

Nurianna

Hi Nurianna

Your situation reminds me a bit of an experience I had a couple of months ago. I had a gift voucher for a beauty salon and thought I would treat myself to a facial. I'd asked for a Guinot cathiodermie which involves electric currents stimulating the face (sounds like torture but I had one a few years ago and it's really good for skin and very relaxing). However when the therapist asked if I was wearing any jewellery/metal I said no but that I had some in my head. She refused to give me the treatment. Instead I had a facial with aromatherapy oils and massage - this was an unpleasant experience as I have a distorted sense of smell.

I am not sure about TENS. The company which makes it will have guidelines if you are able to contact them directly.

Has anyone else been refused a facial?

Best

Anne x

HI Nurianna

I typed in tens and contraindications on internet and got the text below. I'm not sure how to send a link to a web site so had to copy it. It seems to warn against using Tens over metal plates which may mean it is not good to use after coilng. I'm not sure but it may be worth your while checking to be on safe side.

Best

Anne

Indications

Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) devices are used for the symptomatic relief and management of chronic (long-term) intractable pain and as an adjunctive treatment in the management of post-surgical and post-traumatic acute pain problems.

Contraindications

TENS devices can affect the operation of demand-type cardiac pacemakers. TENS is not recommended for patients with known heart disease without a physician's evaluation of risk. Do not stimulate over the eyes or carotid sinus nerves. Do not apply TENS for 1. undiagnosed pain syndromes until etiology is established, 2. electrode placement that causes current to flow transcerebrally (through the head).

Warnings

This device should be used only under the continued supervision of a physician. TENS is ineffective for pain of central origin, (i.e. appendicitis, hepatitis). TENS is of no curative value; it is a symptomatic treatment which suppresses pain sensation which would otherwise serve as a protective mechanism on the outcome of the clinical process. Safety of TENS devices for use during pregnancy or delivery has not been established.

For external use only. Electronic equipment such as EKG monitors and EKG alarms may not operate properly when TENS is in use. The user must keep the device out of the reach of children. Also, this device should not be used over metal implants or sleep apnea monitors.

Precautions

Avoid adjusting controls while operating machinery or vehicles. Turn the stimulator off before applying or removing electrodes. Long-term stimulation at the same electrode site may cause skin irritation. Use only for the specific pain problem prescribed by the physician. Effectiveness is dependent upon patient selection.

Adverse Reactions

Possible allergic reaction to tape or gel. Possible skin irritation or electrode burn under electrode.

thanks for this information, Anne. I have placed the question to the neurosurgeon through his secretary on the phone, since he lives on another island and I am not due to see him again until April. I hope to get a reply tomorrow. In the last session of physiotherapy we didn´t use it the voltage machine, just in case. I don´t know if it´s a TENS or what it really is but I will find out tomorrow in my next session. I´m printing the replies so I don´t forget anything. I know the physiotherapist thinks I overworry and I´m getting a bit tired of his "laissez-faire" attitude. After all, he´s not in my situation but I will take all the necessary precautions I believe I have to, whether he likes it or not.

Thank you all for this very useful information,

Take care,

lots of love

Nurianna