Message from trish re:DLA

This was posted in the chat room at 2304 on 02 February 2009 by trishdnzl5 so I've posted it here on her behalf. Keith

Hi, wonder if any of you have found your selves in a similar situation.w?ill try to keep it short.My husband had an SAH 2 years ago and was given DLA at the middle rate his health has got a bit better but his memory is very bad and he cant be left alone for any length of time so someone has to be with him most of the time.Twelve months ago DLA reviewed his claim and decided he was better so reduced his benefit to the lowest, he has had to retire as he could never cope with work again so money is tight it has taken us a year to have an appeal and we are told it should be in March.Has anyone had anything similar happen to them.I would be interested to hear from you.Thanks Trish

Hi there

I haven't but I know someone that was refused DLA, went to appeal and they got awarded it......seems to be like all benefits if you appeal you then get it...don't quite understand that.

I know though letters from GP, doc's at the hospital all help and honesty too on the bad days all help.

Louise.

Hi Trish i myself have been through this minefield,i have in the past have got a social council worker to fill mine in,and i am being assessed at this time i get low rate personal care but social worker thinks i should get middle rate ,i will let you know,as my stroke side has not improved. tc paul :):mad:

Hi

We have just applied for DLA because of my leg/foot drop what a nightmare it was though, i know we should have done it earlier.. not heard anything yet. I have people who have been refused and appealed and been awards it seems we have to push and push for anything these days..good luck.

Michellexxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest trishdnzl5

Thank you for your answers to my query.We have our tribunal on the 27th of Feb. Was just wondering if anyone has any idea of what happens,what we can expect to happen etc.. Will let you know how we get on.

• 5 months later...
Guest mollie

I have been on DLA lower rate for the past 18months. My case came up for review and I have now been disallowed it after a visit from a doctor who knew nothing about me. During this appraisal session he went off and dumped some rubbish he had in his car then came back to go for a short walk to see how i would do. Now in my opinion this man should have stayed where he was to witness the difficulty i have getting dressed.. In all the assessment lasted between 20-30 minutes not including his trip to the skip. I have now been disallowed because of this man and am worse now than i was when i was awarded in the first place. I appealed and was still disallowed so it is now going to the tribunal. I have an advocate to speak for me and also some paperwork. I am waiting for some medical notes to reach me. I think it's outrageous . Apparently if you are incontinent or in a wheelchair or have a mental illness then you will get it..........thats all the form seems to be about. If i was an alcy or a druggie they would be throwing money at me but because myself an others genuinly have a problem they refuse. I am so so angry about it. and i have probably posted something similar before.........lol I won't let it go so they better be ready for a fight You would think it was their personal money. I have worked 40 years with only time off to have my babies.aarrrrggghhhhh mad now

Mollie xxx

Hi there

sorry to read about what's happened but good you've appealed & now taking it further, a friend of mine had to do that too.

its terrible how they work things like that out isnt....I'm not surprised your blood is boiling.....

hope it works out in your favour......

take care, hugs

Louise.xx

Trish and Mollie, the purple cloud of rage from the IOM and beyond just drifted over here;-) My advice is ( and this is from experience of a tribunal, as many years ago I was turned down) you and your advocate need to put in writing your very worst scenario, not the brave face we brits always show. You go tell it like it is girl:devil: Show 'em what you are made of!!Good Luck

Edited by perrycornish
Added words I missed!

• 6 months later...

i have been refused twice and like one of the other members said if i was a druggy or an alky i would get it , i intend to appeal again and again, till i get it, i have not packed my job in, i have got 4 children and always worked to provide for them, since me not bein able to work through my haemorrhage i am struggling, my advice is to carry on if u get refused appeal appeal appeal, u prob get refused but if u keep on appealing u will get it, its not our fault we have had to come out of work we didnt choose too x gud luck to everyone x:-D xx

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work for the DWP (Well. It was the benefits Agency back then) so I thought that I would be able to negotiate the forms & everything with relative ease.

I have been disallowed twice (I won't go on about the spivs who get there sickness benefits for "backache, etc) despite my panic attacks, confusion, mood swings, left sided paralysis (OK thats getting better) , etc. /But I shall be applying for a third time now.

I know that DLA is awarded whether you work or not.

I was working when I had my SAH. I went back to work after six months. My phased return used up my holiday leave. Since then I haven't had a day off sick I use my own leave for hospital & drs appointments even though I would dearly love to tell my employers to take this job and .........

I had to change my car to an automatic because I can't use a manual car (I have to drive to where I work as it's out in the sticks (No buses go there) as I can't feel the clutch pedal. So it's more expensive to run.

Surely I would be entitled to some financial help? Apparently not.

Anyway. Hopefully third times a charm.

Thankfully, my carbomezapine is working today or I would be really ranting now! :)

Stay groovy folks