Side effects

Guest Vivienne

Guest Vivienne

Hi,

It's two weeks today since I had the coiling done, and I wondered if anyone has had any side effects of their procedures...

I've started having numbness in my right hand and fingers, and also my right arm goes very weak. These sensations don't last very long, just a few minutes, and it doesn't hurt either, just feels really strange.

Not sure if it's to be expected or if I should be in a panic about it!

I'm at my GP'S on Thursday and will ask him about it then, but I just wondered if anyone else has had it? Or any other sympoms of any kind?

Take Care

Vivienne x

HI VIVIENNE

YES I STILL GET THAT TINGLING FEELING, AND WEAKNESS ON MY RIGHT SIDE AND IT HAS BEEN 3 1/2 YEARS IT COMES AND GOES IN SPURTS, IT DOES GET TO ME IF IT LAST FOR TOO LONG. OR IF MY HAND WON'T COOPERATE WITH WHAT I WANT IT TO DO.

BUT MOST OF THE TIME REST CAN HELP.

TAKE CARE XXX EVELYN

Guest Vivienne

Oh! Thanks for your reply.

I know all about the coiling procedure, but not very much about what to expect while recovering!

I'm glad to know someone else has it too, I don't feel so alone now.

x

In the early days post coiling (and by early I mean the first year) there are all sorts of "side effects" that you might experience. It's very much a personal thing and I don't think I've ever met any two people who have the same experiences. If you are worried then get in touch with your GP, Neuro Nurse or Consultant.

Scott

Hi

I'm still in the early stages of recovery but I had a constant tingling in my fingertips and a weakness in my left arm and leg for the first 3-4 weeks since the coiling. That seems to have disappeared now but I often have strange sensations in my head (especially on the left side) and sometimes my left leg still goes a bit 'funny' at times. I am assured that all this is quite normal though and should pass in time.

Deb x

Hi,

Yes 14 months on and i still get tingling in my left fingers its a strange feel and my left index finger goes white in the cold or if i touch something cold, as others have said you are quite early on in your recovery and we are all different you seem to be doing very well though, hope this helps a little.

Bye the way Welcome to the family (sorry not read or seen your posts until this one) hopefully speak soon, take care,

Love luck and laughter

Michellexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DaddysGirl

Hi there,

This is my first post on here. Only just discovered tihs site existed and I must say, it's a god send!

My dad had a major subarachnoid hemmorhage just over a year ago now. They stopped the bleeding with the coil method. We thank every day that we have with him now as it was really touch and go due to the size of the aneurism.

Anyhow, since the hemmorhage my dad has started to suffer from epileptic fits which the doctors are trying to get under control with medication. The problem is that so far they don't know what is causing the fits and my dad still has an unruptured aneurysm so he is very scared that this may rupture. It is awful to see him go through this and not b able to give him any answers. We are still waiting for the consultant to get back to us but this is a slow process indeed.

I was wondering if anyone has suffered fits since and if they have managed to control them. I was under the impression that fits were only common through the older style method of treatment.

I t would just be nice to be able to reassure my dad in some way that he is not alone in this situation and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks,

Kate :)

Hi Kate

Welcome to BTG, so glad you found us.

I too was coiled after my SAH, but have not suffered any fits, so apologies there, I'm afraid I dont have any info. Hopefully there will be others here who can help you.

In the meantime, welcome again, and take good care.

All the best to you and yours,

Blondie x

Hi Kate,

Welcome to this wonderful family xx

May this web site help you and give you lots of support and advice to aid your dads recovery.

I too was coiled but have never had a fit since.

It has been discussed before though I remember. If you use the search button at the top of the screen and type epilepsy you will see a list of times it has been mentioned before and you will be able to see all the posts listed. I just had a quick look for you and there seems to be plenty of people mentioned them before.

Hope this helps- if you need any more help to navigate round the search facility then shout- more than willing to help :D

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

Hi Kate

Welcome to BTG so glad that you are finding the site so helpful. I hope that your father can soon find the right medication to control the epilepsy it must be very worrying for all of you. Like the others who have responded so far, I haven't suffered with epilepsy but was advised that it could occur in some cases in the first two years after a SAH.

Look forward to hearing more from you and please let us know how your Dad gets on.

Janet x

Hi Kate

Welcome to the site and I'm glad you're finding it a god send already.

Sorry, but I haven't suffered any complications from my coiling - other than an itchy/trickling feeling at the annie sight but on my scalp (if that makes sense).

Take care and stay in touch.

Love Sami xx