Job Application forms

A small question for those of you who have been lucky enough to return to work and have found a new job since SAH or advice on what you would put on an application form now if you were applying for a job.

Would you declare your SAH??

I'm 2 1/2 years on, still get headaches and dizziness etc but not like at the beginning but still take daily medication to control them (if it works some days :roll: ) I have already sent a couple of teaching applications but don't appear to have heard anything. I have always declared my SAH so my employer has a full picture but now i'm wondering whether i'm making life difficult for myself......

Thanks and lots of love

Laura

xx

Hi Laura :D

I suppose as i am S/E its slightly different for me.....i have told everyone....so they know, when i eventually do get back......but in your case....i dont know.....but then if you dont tell them, you will have to make sure you start as you mean to go on, and really look out for yourself, and not be put upon, and make yourself ill again. Difficult one . Love Tina xx

Hi Laura

Your doing right in declaring your condition. The employer should take all this into concideration.

Most company's/councils. etc, have to have a percentage of there staffing levals taken by disabled persons.

Check out the Disability Rights Commision, web-site for usful information

Sorry its called "Equality and Human Rights Commission"

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/P ... fault.aspx

Wish you the success you deserve

KeithH

Fellow Stroke Survivor

Hi Laura.

A hard decision to make. If you tell your prospective employer, it may harm your career or promotional prospects, although that should not be the case. It may also affect the way in which colleagues perceive your ability to do your job. If you don't tell them, they may be less sympathetic if you need time off, especially with hidden illness, like the effects of SAH.

In theory, your ability and skills to do the job should be the only criteria, but in practice it can be a different matter.

Sorry I can't advise you, but there could be consequences either way.

Regards

Keith

Hi Laura

I agree with the others it is always better to be open and honest about any conditions that you suffer from. It may be worth contacting those that you have already applied to and asking for feedback on your application forms.

Janet x

Hi Laura,

It is difficult, but I would personally tend to state the fact that I've had a SAH. I was told that after having the surgery, that I was totally "fixed" and was at no more of a risk of having another, than anybody else in the population. May be, that's a point to get firmly across, if you're able to. If your sick record is fairly average/good, since the SAH, then that fact should also help you. I would declare it, just in case you need future time off for scans etc.

I worked in Personnel for a few years and when we asked for references, we always asked the current employer to state the number of sick days a prospective job candidate had taken off, over a given period of time.

I'm afraid to say, that as a PM, it was one of the main factors that I took into account before the candidate was offered an interview. It wasn't discrimination in any way, but from an Employers perspective they have a vacancy to fill and if a person is going to take more than the average sick time off, then the job isn't being done.

I once had somebody applying for the position of Waiter over the summer months. He was successful and got the job, but he failed to declare that he had a disability .... it was only when he handed me a disability form to sign, a week or so later, that I found out that he had serious sight problems. Employers do have a duty of care towards their employees and as you can imagine, having serious sight problems and having to walk in and out of an extremely busy, bustling kitchen with hot food and serving it to customers, is not good for anybody concerned. We did manage to employ him in other areas of the hotel, where we were short of staff, but I wished that he had been honest in the first place and it would have saved a lot of hassle.

It's a difficult one Laura, as I can see it from both sides and I'm just being honest. However, I think that if you focus on the positives and that you're "fixed" by surgery, it will cover you. Not many people know what a SAH is anyway and I would probably use that term rather than the word stroke.

Good luck and hope that you get some joy soon...

Love K xx

Hi Laura

I have changed jobs since my SAH. On my application form I did declare everything and, as Karen suggests, I really stressed the point that I'm better and was at no more risk of having another SAH. I reiterated this during the interview and talked about how I'd returned to work. I was (an still am) having yearly angiograms.

Just after I started the job my angiogram result showed that I had a second aneurysm appearing although too small to coil. I informed HR of this immediately, they been really good about it. I guess I'm lucky in as much that I don't get lots of minor ailments needing odd days off work.

Only a few people know the full details. My manager, HR and a few close colleagues. I've chosen not to tell everyone as I don't want to be viewed any differently or judged on my ability to take on new tasks.

Good Luck

Kim

Hi Laura

Ask yourself what you are going to achieve by declaring on your application form? you will not be shortlisted for your abilities as a teacher and that is what you want. Your health/sickness record will be looked into and that is when you can discuss it. Have PMd you.

Caroline

Hi Laura

I discussed this issue with my Occupational Therapist when I was getting rehab following my SAH. She advised mentioning briefly my SAH in future job application forms but stressing that I made a good recovery & returned to work etc.

I tend to think organisations which hold things like past illnesses or disabilities against a candidate instead of considering the candidate fairly on their abilities, would not be ones where I'd fit in particularly well or want to work for anyway.

Hope it goes well whatever you decide to do.

best

Anne xxx

It is probably one of the most difficult decisions you will ever have to make :( Until last year I was the Chair of a selection board for Primary School teachers and I'm going to say, don't hide it, no employer honestly wants someone who feels they can 'pull the wool over the eyes'! However the advice given here by several people to emphasise the positive is excellent advice and one other statement, and I'm afraid my addled brain has forgotten who said it, but it is a vital one.

It may be worth contacting those that you have already applied to and asking for feedback on your application forms.
This is something you should certainly do, on two counts, one to ensure that you were not being victimised because of past illness and the other to help you to see why you were not short listed. Good Luck and keep at it, do PM me if you think I can help :)

HI LAURA

I REALLY BELIEVE THE TRUTH IS ALWAYS THE WAY TO GO. HAVE FAITH IF IT IS MEANT TO BE IT WILL BE. YOU ARE A VERY SMART AND BEAUTIFUL LADY THAT SHOULD BE THE DECICDING FACTOR.

TAKE CARE AND LOTS OF LUCK TO YOU, I TRULY HOPE YOU GET THE JOB YOU WANT.

EVELYN

Thanks everyone for your advice- I have been honestbefore and will carry on being honest but am going to stress harder that I am 'fixed' etc!! I have put that already but will be more explicit in future.

Doesn't help that my confidence is low beacuse of the hole that I work in at present!

I appreciate everyones honesty and will keep you informed :D Jan- good thinking about calling for feedback, i'm going to try and get hold of the schools next couple of days.

Trying to be positive!

Love and hugs

Laura