confusion

Hi can anyone tell me about their experience of post op confusion, how bad it was and how long before it started to improve are there good times and bad times for you just trying to get some idea as to how bad this confusion can get also did anybody experience really low body tempretures as merrills temp is often no more than 32c although she complains of feeling hot and often feels clamy thanks for your help Rod

Guest mojojojo

Hiya Rod

Nice to meet you, Confusion is very common after post op, i guess this can be lasting depending of the severity of the SAH, i know in mums case she is still very confused one year on but she did have a very severe SAH. You will learn to live with the confusion i sure did, i would recommed you encourage her by reminding her she has been unwell it does help with the confusion.

Regards

Sharon

Hi

I dont actually remember but been told I was very confused, I thought my Auntie was in the next ward, she'd wasnt she was dead, I would hear other people talking and was convinced that I'd had my ear pinned back, it was another woman on the ward, gradually things cleared up.....

My husband just put me right on stuff when it happened.

I have two different temps when I'm cold one side of my body differs from the other....

dont know if any of this helps but knowing that your not alone maybe....

take care

Louise.x

Hi Rod,

I can't really help with the confusion as I don't remember being that confused afterwards and no one has ever told me I was too confused. Everyone just moaned in a nice way that I kept falling asleep on them!!

As for the temperature thing I was always really hot when they took my temp but felt really cold. I don't know why but they did want to stabilise mt temp before they let me out.

Know this doesn't help much but i tried.....

Take care

Laura

xx

Hi Rod,

I was very sleepy and had a very bad short term memory after the SAH.... and for quite a while after.

I would often just nod off, when I had visitors ..... I defintely wasn't "all there" ..... after my op, I thought that the nurses were Air Hostesses ...... they looked like something out of the 1950's with Thunderbird hats ..... perhaps it was the meds! ..... but I can still visualise it! ...

I think that you've said in another post, that your wife has just had a shunt fitted, so she's probably had a bit more trauma/confusion then many of us here....

Give her some time to get over the latest op and with some rest, hopefully you will see some improvement ...... the brain does take time to heal ..... keep her brain stimulated to a degree. whether it's a bit of TV and her favourite soap opera or newspaper/mag .... gradually introduce some normality back into her life and let her take things at her own pace.

You will both get there, with patience and time.....

Karen x

Guest ElaineW

Hi Rod, yep my mum can definitely relate to the confusion too (and still can to this day). During her stay in hospital she hallucinated quite a bit and said things like friends were serving tea during the night (the friend was in fact also a nurse), she couldn't remember she had a cat or that she lived in a bungalow and she thought I had been arrested. Looking back now I can understand why with such brain trauma and probably the sedation too, but I can very much see your concerms, it's not very nice to see. I tended to just agree with mum otherwise it got her agitated and to be honest the next day she had no recollection of a lot of the conversations we had.

Elaine

Me too Rod, confusion has been around for some time now, but like most things post SAH it does improve as time passes, it still happens to me and I think to others but not as much now unless, I am for instance, very tired etc :) Have just remembered that you asked about body temp, I have no real idea what my temperature is, but I certainly can for example feel very cold when friends tell me it isn't cold and at other times I feel hot 'within myself' so to speak but in fact am cold to the touch. I have assumed that my body is pretty thoroughly mixed up after the various traumas it is hard though to put a time estimate on these things as we all vary so much in how long we take to adjust and for that matter what signs and symptoms we experience post SAH, it's very annoying and would be so much easier if we were all experiencing the same things but it just ain't like that :wink:

Hi Rod

I was very confused for a while, I thought I was in an indian resturant (didnt help that the nurse was asian) I also though my Mum was alive, and Mrs Thatcher was prime minister. What did help was that my daughters kept a diary which they eventually gave me to read, it detailed all the strange things I said and did! a really funny read.

Give it time and the confusion will get less. Now I just put the confusion down to age!

Regards

Caroline

I was confused mega so my family tell me. I had gone back to my Radiographer training days when I was 18 and was saying I was being looked after well because I was staff. I also said that the nurses were trying to poison me and then offered a cake to my grandson.

Of course I remember nothing of this and have been told about it at a later date. I dread to think what else I was saying.