Travel Insurance?

Guest Sheila

Guest Sheila

To introduce myself: I suffered a SAH in March 2007 three weeks before I was due to get married and the wedding was postponed till October! I have made a full recovery but was told at my last visit to John Radcliffe Oxford that I still have a very small 2.4mm aneurysm remaining. This is too small to operate on and it is stable and very unlikely to bleed. Nevertheless it has unsettled me and made me realise the importance of keeping my BP in check. I am on tablets but suffer bad side effects. I did want to ask if any of you have flown and whether you have been able to get travel insurance. We have family in the US and NZ and I can't bear the thought of never visiting them again.

Hey Sheila

Welcome to BTG.

I know that some of the members on here have flown post SAH but I think you must let your insurance company know your situation. If you're worried about the actucal flying then it might be worth contacting your GP or your Consultant.

TTFN

Love Sami xxx

Hi Sheila

And warm welcome to the site.....

I havent flown since the SAH, not because of it just havent.....but I've had holiday insurance cover weird I know long story Feb this year had to go to Cornwall lots of snow B&B advised ins cover dont know if its the same kind tho......

hope its some help, hope to hear more from you

take care

Louise.x

There is a link on the Headway website for travel insurance for those with pre-existing medical conditions

http://www.headway.org.uk/sitePages.asp ... &navID=216

I have got quite a list of other companies that offer insurance for pre-existing medical conditions i can post them here if anyone would like me to. When we were looking for travel insurance for D we discovered that the insurance that comes with our bank account would cover him for a year for £40 so quite reasonable.

Poppy

Hi Sheila and welcome! :)

We've discussed the subject of flying and travel insurance a few times .....if you look at the top of the page, you will see "Search" .... click on it and if you search for flying and travel, then hopefully, it will bring up the previous conversations that we've had on here.

The Different Strokes organisation also has info on travel insurance..... http://www.differentstrokes.co.uk/ so, it could be worthwhile contacting them as well ...

Good luck xx

Hi Sheila

Welcome to site with regards to flying I was told six months but it seems to vary depending on your Neurosurgeon. I went to Corfu about six months after my SAH and the flying was fine just more of a build up of pressure in the head than before but that could have been nervousness.

Just check with your G.P sure if your blood pressure is under control it should be fine. Look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Janet x

HI Sheila,

Welcome to BTG :D:D This is a fantastic website where you will gain loads of friends and support.

I had my SAH 2 1/2 years ago and have travelled to Greece twice since. I asked my doc and consultant first though and would advise you to do the same.

In the advice forum on this website, there is a list of travel insurance companies that we have used and what we have thought of them, feel free to take a look.

Take care and big hugs

Laura

xx

Guest Sheila

Many thanks to all of you who replied to my query. Consultant said flying was ok so I must check out the various websites you have mentioned. Sheila