The Shrill buzzing, hissing sound

Hi!

I am almost 5 months post NASAH. The ringing sound had reduced after the first month. Then one weekend after much stress (worry about being forced to return to full time work, relationship conflict, etc. the sound was loud.

I consulted with my neurologist and was given continued time off from work and reduced home conflict. The sound however, increased in December to an almost unbearable level.

I went to the ER out of fear that something was happening again in my head...I waited 7 hours in the ER amid patients coming in with Covid-19. CT was clear. I began to suffer full blown panic attacks. And then my ears began to hurt. 

I got my hearing checked in December. It was normal. I have to schedule a follow-up to address the ringing shrill sound.  I am seeking a telmed counselor.

Today I feel better. The sound is gentler. Any words of advice would be helpful. What reduces the shrill buzzing, hissing sound in my head?

Hi Gam

Glad you checked out ok. 

Tinnitus when it comes on or ramps up is horrible and of course the more you notice it the more you notice it. It’s exhausting and we are fatigued enough.

And there is the brain providing commentary ‘ what’s that’ ‘ what’s happening ‘ and of course the natural responses for the worry to creep up on us that something is wrong, that could it be another bleed, and then the fireworks really start going as this all spins together and can easily create the perfect anxiety storm.

First thing to say is you are not alone or the first ( or the last ) to feel like this and have this happen. Getting checked out is never a bad thing if you feel things are escalating so give yourself a break for seeking help... and just notch this up to being one of those times you had to get checked. I certainly have got my fair share of those hospital visits for a check.

Things that help, have helped me....

Turning off all competing noise and switching of devices. Try and have some complete silence. It may sound strange as then you hear every buzzing more but allow yourself to just be still, do nothing.

I practice mindfulness so I will often do a breathing practice and that helps but if that’s not for you then do something you find relaxing but gives you focus.

Colouring books, yes really, sitting and drinking a cup of tea or watching the everyday out the window. Try and focus on the moment you are in and the sounds you hear around you and what you are doing. Every time you realise you have come back to the tinnitus sound just note, oh yes there you are, and gently focus back on what you are doing to relax. 

You are really early days. Your brain is still invisibly, but tirelessly working to recover from a bleed. A foreign spill of liquid where it had no place being.

Your worry, other stresses are not easily processed right now, so you need to be gentler with yourself. Give it time. 

You have to practice a little the stopping and pausing and focussing away from the buzz,  and it’s not a fix. It doesn’t stop the noise but with time, you learn how to  divert your focus from it, it’s less loud. 

Also when that feeling of worry creeps, try sucking a mint. A very wise member called Win, also suggested singing a song and yes that helped me too. This video in this post may help also. 

Go steady

daff 

Hi Gam,

I have some buzzing in my left ear. Hearing was impaired at first but that came back...buzzing is tolerable for me, I am thankful...I am on board with Daff's words about mindfulness and breathing...I was not, haha, really not at all but did seek out a therapist who practiced with me and now

I realize there is help within myself...I just sit quiet, no TV, and breath slow taking myself to something calming, enjoyable what your special place or thing is...

I realize this is not everyone's thing..My daughter likes to color, seems like a big no to me but she loves it, says it is quieting...So I guess what I am trying to add is that Daff has some great suggestions ...

Daffodil, your words sound so calming like my therapist, glad I read this thread and Gam I hope you try singing as well....:)

xx Jean

On 20/01/2021 at 20:11, Swishy said:

Daffodil, your words sound so calming like my therapist,

Jean that is kind of you. ( I don’t do colouring either !! )  So one of my things of finding ‘new’ version Daffodil post SAH was I decided to train as a Business Trainer of Mindfulness. Gosh it was hard on the brain, I wanted to see if I could do it , I did and qualified if that’s a thing and I now do it for self reward really but it’s a way of my practising using my work day...

I offer sessions each week for colleagues and it means I get to take that pause too! 8 years on I still need that and actually I’m finding lockdown hard as everyone is back home in my work space and so the buzz is back some days...I need to take more time now for pause 

I'd practised mindfulness before SAH and it’s helped through the years since to find still and calm in the many masses of up and downs . 

For those who want to explore, Ive recommended once before, a book called ‘finding peace in a frantic world’ Mark Williams , it offers ..guided sessions and it’s an easy way to introduce the topic and try and establish a practice ....it’s not at all fluffy bunny....I don’t do fluffy bunny!!

Daffodil,

that is wonderful you are a trainer of mindfulness..

I think the most wonderful thing about it, is it gives me (or anyone) the ability to quiet and calm ourselves...my younger son is a mental health therapist and he is taking additional training to offer this to his clients, as he sees it as very helpful...

Try insight meditation. There is Imc uk there and ims barre in Massachusetts and Imc USA in Maryland if you are interested.

Try a weekend after the covid. Now I can’t take off work and quarantine to go there so I do home virtual course. No tv, work, phone, music for a week or so.

You sit as a group three times a day and there is checking with a teacher via zoom daily. There are two 30 mins sessions of lectures. I did that in oct and was very good for  stress level and my brain. Very rested. I m doing that again in March. 

It is basically in breath, out breath, the touch of the breath, focusing on it and no thoughts. Not easy because we are changing the habit of a life time. But even if you get a few concentrated breaths, you will see that it is very helpful.

Hi Daffodil!

This is GAM. Sorry for the late reply. I appreciate your sharing so much! I was really down this past week. The tinnitus started in the other ear on and off. I felt like I was relaxing more and doing my best to get better.

Your post inspired me to be patient and to continue to take care of myself.

I tried "turning off all competing noise and switching of devices. Try and have some complete silence."   I felt more at peace.  Many blessings to you! 

Hey Gam, just glad it was helpful. Try and give yourself that gift of space and silence each day if you can, even if it’s just 10 minutes 15 can help , genuinely your brain will thank you for it. 

As a society ‘busy’ is worn as a medal but your brain is always busy, doing all this unseen work and yours is healing and trying to adjust to the damage from the bleed. So giving it some ‘quiet’ time is a great way to allow it some time off from all the other processing. 

Even now as far out as I am in healing if I am in busy situations I have to step away and give my brain time out so that I don’t overload...

steady does it

daff 

Hi Gam,

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I was just like you, Daff, sent me the link for sensory flooding which really helped me to understand what had been happening to me. 

I too practice mindfulness everyday. Mark Williams is very good, I have his audio books, I like the 5 minute breathing space he practises on there. which i've found have helped to desensitise the chaos of distorted sounds and vibrations. I still have the high pitched hissing and buzzing, but I find I'm coping much better using relaxation techniques,  I use Headspace and have downloaded their app. I use it everyday.

My life now I spend in a calm quiet environment. I'm giving my brain plenty of downtime.

As Daff said, our lovely friend Win, would always recommend singing as a good distraction 😀 bless her.

Xx

Hi Bev75!

Thank you for your response. I will check out Mark Williams. I am glad that you are coping much better using relaxation techniques. I've heard of Headspace and want to download their app. 

I'm sure a calm quiet environment will help our overall health. I'm starting to think (based on the book Tinnitus, From Tyrant to Friend, by Cowan Hill) that the shrill, buzzing sound is my body's response to extreme stress and my NASAH.

I will sing today! Blessings!

Hi Daff,

I was a workaholic...As a first grade teacher, I was usually in the building early and left at 5 pm or 6 pm daily (the custodians use to kick me out of the building lol) I worked weekends. The day of my hemorrhage, I was scheduled to tutor a student...

Yes, As a society ‘busy’ is worn as a medal! 

I'm learning to take quiet time to heal...

Archived