hair colour

Hi all,a question for the ladies, Merrill had her sah almost a year ago, and a month after the sah she had shunt fitted, because merrill suffers from excema there has'nt been a time untill this week that she has not had a minor infection somewhere in her head, well my question is that if you have a shunt fitted is there any problems involved with her having a colour put on her hair, does anyone colour their hair, and has anyone had problems with colouring their hair, Thanks Rod

Hi Rod,

I don't have a shunt and was coiled, so I don't have any scar tissue. I haven't found colouring my hair to be a problem, but would imagine that it would be safer for Merrill to do a test strand with the colour, before doing the whole head. I'm presuming that you're talking about home hair dye?

I found the following information from the Wessex Neuro website. http://www.suht.nhs.uk/OurServices/Nervoussystem/SAHSubArachnoidHaemorrhage/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx

When can I dye or perm my hair?

As soon as any wound has healed it is o.k. for you to wash you hair, it is also safe to dye or perm your hair if you wish. If you have had surgery, you may find that your scalp is more sensitive, particularly to temperature fluctuations of hot or cold, therefore you should be more aware of water temperature when washing you hair. For the same reason you may find it more comfortable to wear a hat and protect your head in hot and cold weather.

Rod, I have a shunt & have my hair coloured, I used to do it myself but get it done at the hairdressers now havent really had a problem with it, but have to say the hairdressers is the best dont find the colour so strong hope that helps any other questions PM me.....

take care

Hi all,and thanks feel a bit better now as i had booked a friend of mine who is a hairdresser to come round tomorrow night and trim merrills hair i had ask him to do a test while he was here and then come back when he can and put the colour on, Thanks everyone, Bets wishes Rod

thanks for asking that rod and thank you for answering Karen the home wont do it because it is a drain on the staff as it takes so long to do it 30 mins here and 10 mins there lin used to color her hair every six weeks now its silver gray which i don't mind but i do know lin would do her nut because she did take pride in her appearance thanks for the answers and the question rod

I agree with Paul and definitely a good, practical question to ask Rod! ....:-D

I used to be a "Saturday Girl" at a hairdressers, so have mainly always done my own hair. The only thing that I can't do now, is use a Hi-lighting cap, for blonde streaks, as I just find it too tight and it sends my head into spasms!

• 13 years later...

I used to take a Piriton antihistamine tablet before having my hair coloured, but If burning and sore now i would not suggest getting your hair coloured until this has eased. Maybe ask your GP, good luck and take care xx