CLIPPING - what to expect at first neuro appointment?

Hello all

Can anyone help? I have my first post-op neuro-appointment on 23rd January and really don't know what to expect.

I had a burst aneurysm and was clipped (craniotomy via SOMIC procedure, ie keyhole), not coiled, on 28th September '06 at the North Staffs Neuro Hospital. I have a second aneurysm that's had nothing done to it yet. I don't know the size of number 2 so, of course, may not need to have anything done to it. Is it standard procedure at the first appointment to have MRI or any other type of scan regardless of whether clipped or coiled? Or what other joys could I expect?

I think I'd prefer to know what to look forward to next week rather than not, but then again.......

Hoping someone can help

Sarah x

Hey Sarah

At my first appointment post op the Neuro went through what had happened and explained where the anuerysms were and that they had both been coiled and then did basic balance tests on me and asked me how I was feeling generally. I don't know whether you've already seen someone in this capacity since the SAH but I've been told that I'll have another appointment in Feb to have a follow up scan (whether this is angio or MRI I don't know).

Sorry can't be of any more help.

Sami xxx

Hi there

I dont really remember much about it except that I got myself all worked up & it was just a chat about all that had happened & what the next step would be which for me was an angio.

So dont get yourself worked up about it I learned that one the hard way.

Hope your well today.

Louise.

Hi Sarah,

I've got a feeling that your first follow up appointment will probably just be a chat as well. So don't worry too much....................My first appt. at 3 months post SAH was with the Support Nurse at Southampton and it was basically to see how I was getting on. My angio was about 8 months post SAH.

Any appointment I've had for angio/scan, they would send a letter or explanation about the procedure. An angiogram via the groin is normally a day visit to hospital and your admitted first thing in the morning, plus you're not meant to eat until after the angio, so they would let you know and I can remember having to fill out a form with my meds on. I was also given a pre-assessment appointment a couple of weeks before the angio, where they make sure that you're fit enough to actually undertake the angiogram itself. With MRA. again they would normally send a letter stating that the appointment was for MRA.

K x

hi,

you had your op at the same hospital as i did. well when i went in for my month check up he said to me i didn't need my second one as i had made a miraculas recovery and he wanted me in for the op on my second one they just checked my eyes and things like that i haven't ever had another scan at all and my sah was sept 02. jess.

ps. it is a really good hospital you are in safe hands there.

• 1 month later...

HI,

I had 2 aneurysms clipped back in march 96 and oct 96 and on the second operation because of where the bleed was i had to have an old style clip inserted?

the first clip i had inserted was a heifetz clip and the second one was called a yasargil clip! apparently the yasargil clip is magnetic!!!!! now i have had no help whatsoever with this information and had to take it into my own hands to go to my local hospital and ask for my medical records to be changed to include this information!

I was told by an x-ray doctor that any form of mri scan ( even on my foot etc!) could effectively have an effect on my clip moving or coming off altogether!!

My biggest fear of course was having to go to hospital in an unconcious state and having an mri!!

regards-BIG AL

Hello All

Appointment went fine but, due to some of the stuff that I told my neuro, he wanted to send me for a CT scan as he thinks I may have some fluid on the brain. Just got appointment through, it's on Tuesday 13th March so just a couple of weeks to go......Not worried about the procedure but obviously concerned about what might be found. However, it will give me a clue as to whether second aneurysm has grown at all, thus helping with THAT decision!

Al, I haven't been told anything about not having MRI scans or clips being damaged and certainly haven't been told what kind of clip I have - but I do want to know now so will ask at my next appointment then we can compare!

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah

I had fluid on the brain, I dont know what kind of clip I have either I didnt know of anyone who did (till now that is).

Too be honest I dont even have a clue where the SAH was, but then I know some people do.

Take care

Louise.

Hi Louise

I only know where mine are/were as I asked as an afterthought. The one that burst was over my right ear (technical term, that, over right ear! - I think they told me the proper name but I've forgotten it, does anyone else know?) and the remaining aneurysm (unwelcome guest....) is above my left ear.

I'm now curious as to what kind of clip I've got and I'm v impressed that Al has one of each. How many are there for us to collect?? Not that I want to, of course!

Sarah x

HI,

Ive definately started something off now havent i?? the link was very interesting although i didnt like the look of my heifetz clip sue? looked like a hand grenade pin? I might go into the designer aneurysm clip business? although wouldnt recommend a replacement if you like em!!

regards-BIG AL