Have You Been Diagnosed With Migraines Post SAH?

Hi,

As some (or many) of you may know, I have had severe headaches since my SAH.

The latest thought at the hospital is that I may have developed migraines as a coincidence, not because of the SAH.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with migraines post SAH?

Enjoy the lovely evening!

Leonie x

Hi Leonie,

I have had a lot of 'circling' orbs in my right field of vision as well as a burning pain/sensation on the top of my head, since going back to work and dealing with a number of queries... my GP has said that it is migraine aura without the headache.

I did suffer a few migraines the first few weeks after my discharge from hospital on 24th Dec 09, and then had a lot of headache and neck pain for a few months, but I have not really suffered much headache in the past few months.

Take care

Kel x

Thanks for the reply Kel. The aura sounds horrible but at least your GP seems to be taking it seriously.

I know how hard it is going back to work. I think you have done really well in such a short space of time!

I posted the question because the subject of headaches/migraines pops up every now and then on the forum & I just wondered how many of us have been told that we suddenly have migraines without it being a consequence of the SAH? Just mulling things over & thought I would share ....

Leonie x

Hi Leonie,

In answer to your question "has anyone else been diagnosed with migraines post sah" then yes I have - but fortunately for me, I do not get any headache. I too only get the aura of migraine yet have only had this since my sah, 20 months ago - the very first episode I had was either the day of the original coiling or the day after so I am convinced it is as a result of and not a coincidence of the sah.

I have only ever had the health professionals say "it sounds like the aura of migraine" - never "it is the aura of migraine". When I was rushed to hospital 3 weekends ago with double vision, the hospital's conclusion, (after ruling out stroke/bleed by ct scan) was that I had suffered an acephalgic migraine. The aura that I have is black/white/silver/grey in colour, it is crescent and zig-zag in shape and continually flashes/flickers.. There can be between one and three of these images which usually start in the centre of my vision. They usually start quite small before inceasing in size and eventually moving outwards. They can last anything between one minute and 30 minutes - the most common being 20 mins. They always move towards the left of my vision.

I only fairly recently started keeping an accurate diary of the these episodes which to me seemed to be increasing in frequency - eg. since the beginning of June I have had it on 12 occasions.

I was told at the hospital on 27th June, following the double vision saga, that the neuro department would be contacting me with an appointment. I have today received that letter which has an appointment date on 9th August. I will be discussing all this with them then and shall see what they have to say.

Leonie, I'm sorry that you suffer from such bad pain in your head, but I have read on your other thread that you have had the injection now and now you only have half a headache:confused: - hope you can feel some benefit from all this - I am so lucky not go get any headache with my "migraine" - think I would go potty if I did - so I do sympathise with you.

Sarah

I've had migraine since my teens ... normally ending up with being sick and not being able to get my head up off the floor. These migraines changed to migraine with aura (classic migraine) after the birth of my 2nd child.

I'm now on Propranolol, which reduces my migraines greatly .... so, I've had them before and after the SAH.

Good luck to all of you guy's that are experiencing aura and you really need to get some answers ....there must be some reason why you're experiencing the aura, without the migraine?

Leo, hope that the jab is helping you .... it's a really interesting subject and am sure that it will be beneficial to other people that view this forum. xx

I also used to have migraine prior to my SAH. From about 8 years ago. My first being about 5 minutes after having a plastic football kicked at me, which slapped into my right cheek.

I started to feel numbness and tingling in my nose, lips and the fingers of my left hand (i think) and a metallic-y taste in my mouth, I then struggled to find the words I wanted to say and to speak properly, and then started getting a zig-zag pattern in my right field of vision, which was in a scythe shape and got bigger (similar to Sarah's description) and then I got a really bad headache on the right hand side (if I remember rightly)... I had to lay down in a dark room, and slept for over an hour. When I woke I initially didn't know where I was or what day or time it was. The headache had gone but I was left with a dull kind of hangover for about 24hrs and felt quite groggy. I have had quite a few episodes like this over the past 8 years.

I was told that my migraines were 'classical' and took migraleve to help, and then tried zomig and some other medicines...

Since my SAH, I have had migraine with headache a few times in the first few weeks after the op and then migraine aura (without headache as such, just the burning sensation) for the past 4-5mths.

Kel x

Now I am surprised by several answers. Migraine...yes I know....this word that I struggle with Aura...well yes they have said that to me too...but what does it mean!

I feel as I know my own answers, in my own body yes I know. I am not a Medical person so it's wrong to answer. All I can say is things hurt for a reason.

I had difficulty explaining this. I had severe headaches over a 10 year period. Since my SAH I don't get severe headaches as such just pressure. I have had disturbed vision like looking down a bottle to see. Only had that a handful occasions, which they call Migraine Aura.

Edited by blueday

Hi Karen,

Interesting. I think the general idea is to try me on medication like Propranolol or Topiramate to ward off headaches but ... will do nothing for the constant pressure felt above my eye (just below the craniotomy site).

So far it would seem that migraines - with or without aura - are a consistent theme here.

Leonie

Hi Leo

As you know I am still having quite a lot of trouble with my headaches/migraines again. I have shown many common signs and symptoms of migraine but my doctors keep changing their minds as to whether they are migraines since SAH are 'just' headaches that are bound to occur since such a big injury!!

I used to suffer from migraines until I was about 13 but then they went off so unfortunately my guess is as good as my docs!!! LOL!!

I'm kind of hitting my head against a brick wall again at the mo- maybe thats why I gotta headache!!

I've had migraines since puberty but they became less common the older I got. Once I hd my SAA I had at worst 4 migraine in one day, mainly the aura & pressure over my eye. My aura is like a floater that becomes fuzzy & flashes in my vision obscuring it & you cn see the wishbone shape when you close your eyes.

My first SAA migraine was within a couple of hours of the initial pain of the anyurism starting but the headache from the SAa was more severe than any migraine I'd ever had. I do have triggers which are stress, extremes of hot & cold on my head (a plunge pool after a sauna set one off) & hormones (i had a ouple when pregnant) bu so far since the clipping i haven't had another one. My anny must have been pressing on the nerve that causes my migraines.

Hi Laura,

I know how it feels, I know. Somehow we just have to keep going back to the doctors until something helps long term. Not sure what, but something has to help in the end.

Am waiting to find out if I can get a nerve block on my craniotomy side. Maybe some relief of the pressure will make all the difference. Maybe ...

Intetesting thoughts, Bagpuss, Thank you!

Hi Leo

As you know I am still having quite a lot of trouble with my headaches/migraines again. I have shown many common signs and symptoms of migraine but my doctors keep changing their minds as to whether they are migraines since SAH are 'just' headaches that are bound to occur since such a big injury!!

I used to suffer from migraines until I was about 13 but then they went off so unfortunately my guess is as good as my docs!!! LOL!!

I'm kind of hitting my head against a brick wall again at the mo- maybe thats why I gotta headache!!

Hi Leo

Can't help with this one as even though I have constant pain on the left side from the craniotomy not had a proper headache since the SAH. Thankfully a small blessing as used to suffer with nasty tension headaches on a regular basis......

Hi Janet,

Maybe we should start a thread a about pressure/pain post craniotomy? :lol:

Have had that too. It's not exactly pain, just feels like someone has a big boot constantly on the side of my head & above my eye. But its better than the headaches.

Hope you all have a good day,

Leo xx