headaches and stiff neck

my hubby mark is coming up to a year of his SAH, this was a venous bleed.

what he is experiencing now is having a dream and having the smack around the back of the head (as you all have experienced when your SAH happened). this wakes him up and his neck is stiff and he has a funny sensation running at the back of his head. he is worried so he wants to know can an SAH happen in your sleep.

hope to here from you

diane.

Hi Diane,

Can I just say, Happy 1st year to your husband.:-D

I have always described my SAH as if someone had stabbed me, it certainly wasnt a bang. Maybe it is different because of your husbands bleed (venous), mine was arterial.

I still struggle to tell people of how my head feels, fuzzy, cotton wollie, on fire is always a good one(although it does scare the girlfriend). Of course an SAH can happen when your asleep, It can happen at anytime. That is what makes them so life threatening, some people get symptoms before it happens (just like a stroke), some people get the stab or bang, some people on here don't even know what happened (and are grateful). I would suggest a trip to your GP, to discuss his issues. You can never be too careful. You have probably done this already as you are a nurse but it needs to be done.

Hi Dianne,I wonder maybe your husband is suffering from anxiety? And like the others have said best see the doctor and have a chat and try not to worry too much. He is still early in recovery, has been through a huge trauma,little wonder he feels worried. I often get odd creepy sensations in my head and neck and it concerns me for a while then I forget about it, I have heard a few of us here say the same. Hope he gets the information and assurance he needs.....And please wish him a..........

:-DHAPPY ANNIVERSARY Mark have a good one:-D

Hi Diane....agree with the others, i would get Mark to see his GP just to be on the safe side., But also agree with Maggie, it could be anxiety coming out after such a huge trauma. Wishing you both well and a very Happy 1st Anni-versary to you Mark :)

Take care love Tina xx

Agree with the rest, Diane.

It may be nothing, but better safe than sorry. So a doctor's visit won't hurt.

As for SAHs happening during your sleep... while a blood vessel rupture is likely to happen during times of increased pressure (stress, hypertensive episode), I have heard of people waking up with severe headaches. In short, they do happen, but probably less common. In the long run, aneurysms and blood vessels just rupture when they ****** feel like it (nasty little things)...

But take it easy. Happy first anniversary to your hubby. Don't worry, people who've experienced things tend to be a little paranoid. So it's probably nothing.

I would go to the GP too. Having said that, they do tend to put everything down to anxiety nowadays! Just from my knowledge of what doctors look for (as a medical secretary) and not saying I know for sure, it does sound to me if he has this repeatedly it would seem to be more due to anxiety. If you think about it, if he was having a bleed, he'd be very sick. I hope that is reassuring? Take care!

• 1 month later...

I'll frequently awaken from a crushing pain in the occipital area of my skull if i sleep long enough. In fact, that is virtually always WHY i get up if it isn't the alarm clock, dogs barking, etc. waking me. This NEVER happened before the SAH, and immediately began happening when i had the SAH. So I usually slept with my head on a bag of ice while in the hospital to prevent this. It's just one of those things i have accepted as resulting from damage incurred from the bleed and i have to find ways to live with/around it. In this case: try not to sleep on the back of my head (although to use my CPAP that IS the position that works best :roll: ) , don't just continue lying in bed thinking it will go away, it won't - it will only get worse.

Once i get out of bed, and am in an upright position, it improves - but does never really subsides entirely for the rest of the day. It's a headache.

Pat